+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Reading a very neat bit of CanLit called The Antagonist, by Lynn Coady. It's a narrative in the form of emails from a 40 year-old-man to a former university classmate. Really gifted storytelling. I love discovering new authors.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Re: What are you reading?

Reading Memoirs of Gas Station: A Delightfully Awkward Journey Across the Alaskan Tundra. It's hilarious and I'm enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Reading Memoirs of Gas Station: A Delightfully Awkward Journey Across the Alaskan Tundra. It's hilarious and I'm enjoying it.
    what is it about? Well I do suppose I can check amazon!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    what is it about? Well I do suppose I can check amazon!
    It's the author writing about the time he spent by Denali working as one of those seasonal workers in a gas station. It really doesn't sound as funny as it really is. I read about half way through last night and was laughing the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    It's the author writing about the time he spent by Denali working as one of those seasonal workers in a gas station. It really doesn't sound as funny as it really is. I read about half way through last night and was laughing the entire time.
    My library doesn't own it I guess I can order it for the collection or borrow it from another library. Sounds interesting and I will take your word for it.

Actually I looked and didn't see any libraries that own it.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Actually I looked and didn't see any libraries that own it.
    I just did the same thing. Why isn't it in any of them?
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I'm guessing it's a self published book? It was free on Amazon that's where I got it from for my Kindle.

The books in my house are multiplying like Tribbles. I've taken to reading two at once. One is always in the bathroom (usually a hardcover) and another I read in bed and everywhere else. Unbroken is on bathroom duty right now. I just finished Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers, a YA historical fiction title set in 15th century Brittany. This is the first in a series. The back cover blurb:
    Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.
    Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?
    It was a quick read and had a surprising amount of historical/political detail for a YA title. I guess I'm used to the fluff of Twilight-style YA books.

I just started Restoration by Olaf Olafsson:
    A searing novel of love and war, betrayal and redemption.

Having grown up in an exclusive circle of wealthy British ex-pats in Florence in the 1920s, Alice Orsini shocks everyone when she marries the son of a minor Italian landowner and begins restoring San Martino, a crumbling villa in Tuscany, to its former glory. But after years of hard work, filling the acres with orchards, livestock, and farmhands, Alice's growing restlessness pulls her into the heady social swirl of wartime Rome and a reckless affair that will have devastating consequences.

Her indiscretion is noticed by careful eyes—those of Robert Marshall, a renowned dealer of renaissance art. In exchange for his silence, he demands Alice hide a priceless Caravaggio, a national treasure that he has sold to the Germans, at San Martino. As the front creeps toward Tuscany, sending a wave of orphans, refugees, and wounded Allies to San Martino, Alice trusts that the painting she's hiding will keep the Germans at bay. What she doesn't know is the truth about a brilliant young artist she harbors named KristÍn, a prodigy who can restore any painting, and whose secrets may ruin them all.

Trapped between loyalists and resistors, cruel German forces and Allied troops, Alice and KristÍn must withstand the destruction of everything around them while painfully confronting the consequences of their past mistakes.

In this sweeping story of passion and betrayal, Olafsson works his profound magic once again, creating a novel that grapples with the moral abyss of war while rendering the psychological portraits of those living through it with masterful strokes.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Right now I am almost finished Piece of My Heart by Peter Robinson. and I'm really going to hate to come to the last page!
    PIECE OF MY HEART by Peter Robinson: A review of the book from Freelance Writer Chris High.

+ Reply to Thread