+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4490970 [I
    Death Comes to Pemberley.[/I] Anyone read it? I picked it up at the library today. I'm usually leery of books that are sequels of classic works (still shuddering over Scarlett) but I couldn't resist a story about what happened to Elizabeth & Darcy.
    I'm the same way (and absolutely blame Scarlett for it!) Please let me know what you think; I've had that in my Amazon queue for a long time based on the reviews but just can't bring myself to do it!
    Wag more, bark less

elk

I am reading "Assassin's Apprentice" by Robin Hobb. I was re-reading George RR Martin's series and thought I'd give another fantasy series a try. I'm very glad I did, Hobb creates a very rich world with plenty of intrigue and colourful characters. Crit, I think if you haven't tried this already, you should. I know how much you love SoIaF!

I haven't been around for awhile (just lurking), so I'll quickly list some of the other books I've read lately:
    Swamplandia, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Wise Man's Fear, Sharp Objects, Mr. Peanut, The Girls, The Weird Sisters...and so many more that I can't think of right now.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    I'm re-reading the Clan of the Cave Bear series. I read this as a teenager to Plains of Passage and only remember a few things, so it's like I'm reading them for the first time. I'm curious to see where the books published since PoP take the story...
    I LOVE this series!! I read it years before The Plains of Passage came out and re-read them when the last book came out. I found it to be a pretty good wrap-up. My favorite book is the second one where she's living by herself and saves the guy. Least favorite was the 3rd when they lived with another clan and there was all the jealousy going on.
    kattatude and cantstopwatchin like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    I'm re-reading the Clan of the Cave Bear series. I read this as a teenager to Plains of Passage and only remember a few things, so it's like I'm reading them for the first time. I'm curious to see where the books published since PoP take the story...
    I read that when I was about 14 and then re-read it as an adult, maybe about 10 years ago. I still liked it.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I LOVE this series!! I read it years before The Plains of Passage came out and re-read them when the last book came out. I found it to be a pretty good wrap-up. My favorite book is the second one where she's living by herself and saves the guy. Least favorite was the 3rd when they lived with another clan and there was all the jealousy going on.
    Me too! I remember loving the second book, but was not liking with the 3rd. When I re-read the first, I never got around to re-reading the second. I might have to give it a go sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Let us know if you find any hidden gems. It can be hard to find a good true crime book. I haven't read a great one in quite a while.

I tried a search but couldn't find anything about Death Comes to Pemberley. Anyone read it? I picked it up at the library today. I'm usually leery of books that are sequels of classic works (still shuddering over Scarlett) but I couldn't resist a story about what happened to Elizabeth & Darcy.
    Scarlett was one of the worse books I ever read, and I LOVED GWTW! But was even worse was the horrific mini-series.... Oy! They so ruined the characters!

Well, Pemberley is not what I expected. Basically, it's a pre-Victorian-era murder mystery with the P & P cast of characters. You won't mistake PD James' writing for Austen's. I can't exactly recommend it but if any Austen fans want to give it a read, keep expectations low.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Actually, it might be more accurate to say I just devoured it. It was FANTASTIC. I usually hate the 'his chapter/her chapter" narration, but it really worked for this book in that there are literally two sides to the story and the best part is that Nick and Amy actually sounded like two different people, which is rare. I can't say much about it without giving it all away, but it was a really good read, kept me interested, kept me wondering, kept me guessing. It is a mystery/thriller but nothing too gory or graphic about a wife who goes missing and the husband as a potential suspect. I really liked the pace and the 'oh, you THINK you know where this is going? gotcha!' that actually made sense rather than seemed like a formula. I was glad I read it before I read anything telling me what to expect or what might be coming. I didn't LOVE it to pieces, there was a flaw or two, but I did really like it. I haven't read any of her other books, but I just might now that I 'found' her.

Amazon.com: Gone Girl: A Novel (9780307588364): Gillian Flynn: Books
    Wag more, bark less

I'm reading the Gift of Fear only because I went to a training that involved some aspects of the book and was wondering if the book was disorganized as the training was. I find myself having a hard time finishing it. Mostly because I'm stuck in this whole idea of have we (particularly we women) really lost all common sense at all?

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I'm reading the Gift of Fear only because I went to a training that involved some aspects of the book and was wondering if the book was disorganized as the training was. I find myself having a hard time finishing it. Mostly because I'm stuck in this whole idea of have we (particularly we women) really lost all common sense at all?
    I looked it over at the library. It sounds interesting, but also a bit tough.

+ Reply to Thread