+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I finished reading "A Knight in Shining Armor" by Jude Deveraux. It was a pretty good book.
    Glad you enjoyed it. I'm not a big romance person, but what I liked was that I actually learned something about the time period while I was reading it.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it. I'm not a big romance person, but what I liked was that I actually learned something about the time period while I was reading it.
    People seemed as if they were dirty hundreds of years ago. But, over two thousand years ago, the Roman Empire had aqueducts and running water... that civilization seemed fairly advanced.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mize77 View Post
    I like alot of Jude's stuff. Have you read "The Summerhouse"? It's one of my favorites by her.
    Thank you for the book recommendation! I haven't read any of the author's books other than "A Knight in Shining Armor," but she's a good writer.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I finally caved and am reading Fifty Shades of Grey. I understood it to be basically Twilight fan fiction. After reading it, yep, I can definitely see it. Almost like Twilight but without the vampires and with BDSM! I am liking it, but I have to say I am not liking it for what it is but for what I think it is going to be. The sex is a bit overwhelming - and very graphic! I am a romantic at heart and I do see it leading to a romantic end. Maybe those who have read all three will tell me it doesn't get there. If it doesn't, then I will be disappointed.
    .. but you have to read all 3

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Mark Olshaker has a bunch of books with John Douglas, I think, that are very good. The one I think I read was called The Cases that Haunt Us or something like that - it dealt with some of the big cases from the past - from Jack the Ripper to OJ Simpson. There was also a part about Jon Benet Ramsay in there, in which he looked at all the evidence and came to the conclusion that it wasn't a family member who killed her. Douglas is an FBI profiler, and I can't remember who Olshaker is. I enjoyed them.
    Thank you for this info-this is right up my alley. I have this need to want to know what makes someone `evil.' I'll never get the answer, but the psychology of it fascinates me, even haunts me.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Anything by Jack Olsen. He was absolutely the best true crime author ever (he has passed away, unfortunately).

Well, Crit, I am dying to ask for Blackout spoilers but I will try to be patient.
    I wrote it down and will look the nexty trip to the used bookstore-their are so many books in the genre it's hard to decipher sometimes which authors are actually great writers or merely writing to sensationalize.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    I wrote it down and will look the nexty trip to the used bookstore-their are so many books in the genre it's hard to decipher sometimes which authors are actually great writers or merely writing to sensationalize.
    Let us know if you find any hidden gems. It can be hard to find a good true crime book. I haven't read a great one in quite a while.

I tried a search but couldn't find anything about Death Comes to Pemberley. Anyone read it? I picked it up at the library today. I'm usually leery of books that are sequels of classic works (still shuddering over Scarlett) but I couldn't resist a story about what happened to Elizabeth & Darcy.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I'm re-reading the Clan of the Cave Bear series. I read this as a teenager to Plains of Passage and only remember a few things, so it's like I'm reading them for the first time. I'm curious to see where the books published since PoP take the story...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I've been reading a lot of books by Peter Robinson the last few weeks. So far I would recommend Before the Poison Peter Robinson’s Official Website » Before the Poison – 2011 which isnt in his Insp Banks series(which are also pretty good)

Quote Originally Posted by dustypants View Post
    .. but you have to read all 3
    I am reading the second one now. It is much better. I am a nut and am incapable of reading a book from start to finish (the Game of Thrones books being the one exception to this), so once I finished the first book, I had to get the second and third and read the end of the third book, to make sure the series was going where I thought it was. If it wasn't, I wasn't going to read them!! Luckily, it was, so now I am just enjoying the journey of the last two books!

+ Reply to Thread