+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Deadlocked just about killed me to get through. I heard there's only one more book in that series now? Thank goodness. I expounded on that a lot in the thread for those books though so I'll control myself here.

I started reading the Oprah 2.0 book club book Wild by Cheryl Strayed. So far I'm enjoying and according to my kindle I'm about half way through. Happy it's not a minute to minute description of hiking the PCT, could use a bit less mulling over her childhood years though. But I enjoy her dysfunction. I have to occasionally dip my toe into the Oprah books. I still owe her for showing me Tawni O'Dell as an author.

Two Trains running by August Wilson
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I started reading the Oprah 2.0 book club book Wild by Cheryl Strayed. So far I'm enjoying and according to my kindle I'm about half way through. Happy it's not a minute to minute description of hiking the PCT, could use a bit less mulling over her childhood years though. But I enjoy her dysfunction. I have to occasionally dip my toe into the Oprah books. I still owe her for showing me Tawni O'Dell as an author.
    I got a copy of Wild last fall, but it's still sitting in a giant pile of other books that are also waiting to be read. Honestly, Oprah picking the book has made me less interested in reading it.

Oh, and I'm SO surprised that the book deals with dysfunction [/sarcasm] It seems like, for the most part, Oprah picks books that she identifies with personally in some way....and it's always something to do with abuse or dysfunction. I find that kind of predictable and boring. I don't want to read books about people like me, I want to read about things I know nothing about or that take me somewhere I've never been OR that teach me about someone who is nothing like me. Some of Oprah's picks fit that description, but some of them are SO overwrought and depressing. I know that makes for good drama, but I like to read books about happy people too!

I may still read Wild, but Oprah choosing it has made me wary.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm not a big fan of the "all turns out good in the end" warm fuzzy happy people books. I like reading about dysfunctional people or at the very least flawed people. Beans of Egypt Maine is one of my favorite books and filled with little drama but some dysfunction. Which is probably why other than a couple hiccups this summer I don't typically read romance novels.

I like to go play around in people's heads and motivations when I read books. I did Finish Wild last night and I would have liked her all this time later to do some follow up on her journey. But all in all I enjoyed her struggle with herself.

All books must have some sort of conflict and I strongly prefer the man against himself sort of conflict when reading.

FORT Regular

I like alot of Jude's stuff. Have you read "The Summerhouse"? It's one of my favorites by her.

I finally caved and am reading Fifty Shades of Grey. I understood it to be basically Twilight fan fiction. After reading it, yep, I can definitely see it. Almost like Twilight but without the vampires and with BDSM! I am liking it, but I have to say I am not liking it for what it is but for what I think it is going to be. The sex is a bit overwhelming - and very graphic! I am a romantic at heart and I do see it leading to a romantic end. Maybe those who have read all three will tell me it doesn't get there. If it doesn't, then I will be disappointed.

Can anyone give me some leads on True Crime books. I've reads all of Ann Rules books , so I was wondering if there are other authors or books that stand out in the genre. It's my secret reading addiction. Especially during summer. Also, I read In Cold Blood. Any help would be appreciated.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

Mark Olshaker has a bunch of books with John Douglas, I think, that are very good. The one I think I read was called The Cases that Haunt Us or something like that - it dealt with some of the big cases from the past - from Jack the Ripper to OJ Simpson. There was also a part about Jon Benet Ramsay in there, in which he looked at all the evidence and came to the conclusion that it wasn't a family member who killed her. Douglas is an FBI profiler, and I can't remember who Olshaker is. I enjoyed them.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the "all turns out good in the end" warm fuzzy happy people books. I like reading about dysfunctional people or at the very least flawed people. Beans of Egypt Maine is one of my favorite books and filled with little drama but some dysfunction. Which is probably why other than a couple hiccups this summer I don't typically read romance novels.

I like to go play around in people's heads and motivations when I read books. I did Finish Wild last night and I would have liked her all this time later to do some follow up on her journey. But all in all I enjoyed her struggle with herself.

All books must have some sort of conflict and I strongly prefer the man against himself sort of conflict when reading.
    I don't need everything to be happily ever after either (I hate romance novels!), but Oprah often picks books that are SO depressing. I mean, how many books about child abuse does one person need to read? Once you've read Bastard Out of Carolina I think you're set. Flawed is one thing, but some of her books are just downers all around and, for a long time, it seemed like there was no variation either - every single choice she made was like that. It always felt to me like she was choosing books that validated her life in some way or that she identified with, personally. I guess that's her prerogative, but I think it's boring.

Like I said, I have Wild, but Oprah picking it has caused me to be less interested. I'm just cynical enough about her picks to be wary of it now.

I finished Blackout yesterday afternoon. I won't give anything away because I know several other people here may read it. I'll just say that it was a satisfying conclusion to the series

I'm back to reading The Night Circus, which is so lovely and different. I'm not wild about how it bounces around in time though. Kind of hard to keep everything straight. Other than that, I'm enjoying it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    Can anyone give me some leads on True Crime books. I've reads all of Ann Rules books , so I was wondering if there are other authors or books that stand out in the genre. It's my secret reading addiction. Especially during summer. Also, I read In Cold Blood. Any help would be appreciated.
    Anything by Jack Olsen. He was absolutely the best true crime author ever (he has passed away, unfortunately).

Well, Crit, I am dying to ask for Blackout spoilers but I will try to be patient.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread