+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

ETA: Coming up very soon, I'll be reading the next book in Mira Grant's "Newsflesh" zombie series. The book is on the way to me right now!
    What! My library doesn't even have it on order! Please give us a review when you're done, Crit, so I will know if I should just go buy it or wait till the library copy eventually rolls in.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    What! My library doesn't even have it on order! Please give us a review when you're done, Crit, so I will know if I should just go buy it or wait till the library copy eventually rolls in.
    I'm getting it from a publishing rep. The official release date was 5/22, so your library should order it soon, I'd think. I'm not sure how that all works.

I'm really hoping that the event at the end of book 2 bodes well for book 3. I liked book 2, but I LOVED book 1.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just finished The Last Nude late last night. WOW. I really loved this book! I couldn't put it down. Love, sex and art in 1920's Paris = heaven!

I started Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus last night. I've had a copy for a long time, but it's just been sitting on the shelf. Huffington Post chose it for their next book club selection, so I thought this was as good a time as any! I'm only a few pages in right now, but it's lovely.
    Lovely is the perfect word to describe it. It has become one of my favorite books.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Someone recommended a book to me called "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society." Once I read the synopsis, I commented that it looked similar to "84 Charing Cross Road" (a personal favorite). She said it has been compared to that in the past. So I've downloaded it, but I'm only 27% of the way through a re-read of "Gone with the Wind," so it's going to be a couple of weeks before I get to it.

One of my main reasons for wanting to read it is that you folks always post books with the most interesting names, and I wanted to be part of the "in" crowd. LOL.

Has anyone else here read it? I tried to search the forum on the word "potato" and didn't find anything. (It wouldn't be the first time I couldn't find something in this forum that was there.)
    I'm 60% of the way through the book on my Kindle. I haven't loved many books as much as I love this one.

Hubby and I have been planning a 12-day cruise around the British Isles for our 50th wedding anniversary in 2014. I just realized today that the ship will stop at Guernsey. I am one happy camper.
    moflan likes this.

I started Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus last night. I've had a copy for a long time, but it's just been sitting on the shelf. Huffington Post chose it for their next book club selection, so I thought this was as good a time as any! I'm only a few pages in right now, but it's lovely.
    I loved this book. I'll be interested to read your interpretation after you read it. When I returned the book to the Library, the Librarian ask what I thought about it and we had an interesting conversation about the book. She said that it had been interesting to hear the different interpretations from other readers.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I loved this book. I'll be interested to read your interpretation after you read it. When I returned the book to the Library, the Librarian ask what I thought about it and we had an interesting conversation about the book. She said that it had been interesting to hear the different interpretations from other readers.
    I'm making sure to read it slowly to savor it. I'm a fast reader, so it's tough to slow down, but I'm enjoying the language.

For those of you who enjoyed The Night Circus, head over to HuffPo and check out the book club! They are just now starting coverage on this book. I think the first actual discussion will be in a few weeks - they give people time to actually get into the book before the first discussion. Usually they post a schedule about the discussions - they do it in stages vs. talking about the whole book at once. Book Club : Pictures, Videos, Breaking News
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I'm halfway through The Night Circus right now. I'm really enjoying it so far, and would love to discuss it further when I'm done.

Thanks for the recommendation to check out the book club at the Huff Post. I'm off to do that now

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I'm halfway through The Night Circus right now. I'm really enjoying it so far, and would love to discuss it further when I'm done.

Thanks for the recommendation to check out the book club at the Huff Post. I'm off to do that now
    I'm not nearly as far in as you are - I'm around 80 pages in. I've been pulled in so many different directions this week, I just haven't had enough time to read! The HuffPo book club usually gives everyone a few weeks to get into the book - they assume that not everyone is a super fast reader - and then they will do a discussion on the first however many chapters. I haven't looked to see if they've posted a schedule yet.

I tried to get into The HuffPo book club with Karl Marlantes' What It Is Like to Go to War, but I just wasn't in the right mindset for the book right then. I read a few chapters, but it was just too heavy. I'll pick it up again down the line. I definitely want to read it.

We tried to do a book club here many years ago, but I think it kind of fizzled out. I like to think of this thread as our free-form book club!

I like to think of this thread as our free-form book club!
    It's also such a fabulous resource for finding good books to read. So many times I've read a few pages of this thread and then have gone immediately to my local library site to order some books that were recommended.
    waywyrd and JavaJo like this.

I'm reading the Sleeping Beauty series by Anne Rice as it was recommended through something on Amazon (probably 50 Shades of Grey).

There is zero story line. I wasn't sure it was possible to pack more smut into a book than 50 did. But apparently it is possible. And it's waaaaaaaay deep into that particular sub-culture too so it's definitely not for everyone.... in fact it's probably for very few people. I think it's a huge mistake that Amazon does in saying "if you like 50 you'll love this." Because reality is from what I can tell most people read 50 for the romance aspect(?) and that just doesn't exist in this book in the traditional sense.

So I guess it's what I'm reading and I'm well into the last book now. I find it interesting but for my own personal reasons. Unless people are heavy into that subculture I wouldn't advise going this direction but if anyone is... it's an interesting read.

+ Reply to Thread