+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm really curious to know how you liked it. I know you read a LOT, but this one is a gem in my book (heh, pun).
    I just finished it this morning and I'm worn out! I didn't see that ending coming AT ALL. I'm still processing it, but I agree, it's a gem!

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I took everyone's advice and read it. It took me only a day. I loved it! But now with everything you all have said I am thinking I need to find the DVD of the Colin Firth version of the movie. Kind of funny to me, because I have heard it said many times that Bridget Jones Diary was inspired by, and kind of a modern version of, P&P - so hilarious that Colin Firth was also the Darcy character in that movie!!
    It was. That's why I found it so funny that Bridget interviews Colin in book 2. Obviously, they didn't have that scene in the movie! The Firth P&P is one of the best adaptations ever and probably my favorite Austen adaptation, along with Persuasion (the BBC version with Ciaran Hinds, not the crummy one they showed a while back on PBS).
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I took everyone's advice and read it. It took me only a day. I loved it! But now with everything you all have said I am thinking I need to find the DVD of the Colin Firth version of the movie. Kind of funny to me, because I have heard it said many times that Bridget Jones Diary was inspired by, and kind of a modern version of, P&P - so hilarious that Colin Firth was also the Darcy character in that movie!!
    It's definitely worth the effort to get the Colin Firth version of P&P. The new Blu-ray version is absolutely beautiful, especially on HD TV.

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy View Post
    It's definitely worth the effort to get the Colin Firth version of P&P. The new Blu-ray version is absolutely beautiful, especially on HD TV.
    I'll bet it makes that scene in the pond at Pemberley look even better!

I just started The Last Nude by Ellis Avery. Another one for my book club. It's historical fiction about the Art Deco painter Tamara de Lempicka and the subject of her painting Beautiful Rafaela. The description from the book flap:
    A stunning story of love, sexual obsession, treachery, and tragedy, about an artist and her most famous muse in Paris between the world wars.

Paris, 1927. In the heady years before the crash, financiers drape their mistresses in Chanel, while expatriates flock to the avant-garde bookshop Shakespeare and Company. One day in July, a young American named Rafaela Fano gets into the car of a coolly dazzling stranger, the Art Deco painter Tamara de Lempicka.

Struggling to halt a downward slide toward prostitution, Rafaela agrees to model for the artist, a dispossessed Saint Petersburg aristocrat with a murky past. The two become lovers, and Rafaela inspires Tamara's most iconic Jazz Age images, among them her most accomplished-and coveted-works of art. A season as the painter's muse teaches Rafaela some hard lessons: Tamara is a cocktail of raw hunger and glittering artifice. And all the while, their romantic idyll is threatened by history's darkening tide.

Inspired by real events in de Lempicka's history, The Last Nude is a tour de force of historical imagination. Ellis Avery gives the reader a tantalizing window into a lost Paris, an age already vanishing as the inexorable forces of history close in on two tangled lives. Spellbinding and provocative, this is a novel about genius and craft, love and desire, regret and, most of all, hope that can transcend time and circumstance.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Wow! Downloading it now!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Wow! Downloading it now!
    I really should just send you our reading list!

Just started Game Change. This is a neat book in that it reads more like a political novel than non-fiction. It is more about the Obamas & Clintons than it is about McCain/Palin, so it's very different from the HBO movie. Very entertaining read no matter where you sit on the political spectrum - both sides have plenty of warts, although the Palin stuff is quite a bit more shocking than the rest.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Just started Game Change. This is a neat book in that it reads more like a political novel than non-fiction. It is more about the Obamas & Clintons than it is about McCain/Palin, so it's very different from the HBO movie. Very entertaining read no matter where you sit on the political spectrum - both sides have plenty of warts, although the Palin stuff is quite a bit more shocking than the rest.
    I recently read the book also and really enjoyed it. I agree about the Palin stuff, but who I think came off the worst were the Edwards - both of them. That surprised me. Elizabeth had basically been made out as a saint in the press, so I was really shocked to read some of the stuff about her. I always wondered which came first - his philandering or her bitterness?

I recently read the book also and really enjoyed it. I agree about the Palin stuff, but who I think came off the worst were the Edwards - both of them. That surprised me. Elizabeth had basically been made out as a saint in the press, so I was really shocked to read some of the stuff about her. I always wondered which came first - his philandering or her bitterness?
    My husband always said Elizabeth was no saint.
    KatesMom likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I just finished The Last Nude late last night. WOW. I really loved this book! I couldn't put it down. Love, sex and art in 1920's Paris = heaven!

I started Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus last night. I've had a copy for a long time, but it's just been sitting on the shelf. Huffington Post chose it for their next book club selection, so I thought this was as good a time as any! I'm only a few pages in right now, but it's lovely.

ETA: Coming up very soon, I'll be reading the next book in Mira Grant's "Newsflesh" zombie series. The book is on the way to me right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I started Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus last night. I've had a copy for a long time, but it's just been sitting on the shelf. Huffington Post chose it for their next book club selection, so I thought this was as good a time as any! I'm only a few pages in right now, but it's lovely.
    My co-worker, a librarian, absolutely loved that book.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread