+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've never been able to get through the Keira Knightly P&P because I just can't stand her and I LOVE P&P - she's just NOT Elizabeth Bennett. KK was a horrible mis-cast, IMO. My favorite P&P is the one with Colin Firth (the ONLY Mr. Darcy!) and Jennifer Ehle. I know, don't hold back there, Crit, tell us how you really feel!

It's a classic. It's fabulous. I've read it half a dozen times. Read it!
    I can't read or think about P&P without seeing Firth as Darcy. I need to find the DVDs of that version so my 13-year-old can watch - she started reading Austen last year and was interested in seeing it when I pointed out Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy when we were watching some awards show.

On an entirely different note, I finally got my hands on the first Rhiannon Frater book. It's very different from the Mira Grant series - actually, it feels similar to The Walking Dead. I really love all the Romero references in these books. I might like the Frater series slightly more in that it's more classic-zombie fare, but I'll wait to see how the first book ends before I can really judge.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    On an entirely different note, I finally got my hands on the first Rhiannon Frater book. It's very different from the Mira Grant series - actually, it feels similar to The Walking Dead. I really love all the Romero references in these books. I might like the Frater series slightly more in that it's more classic-zombie fare, but I'll wait to see how the first book ends before I can really judge.
    She has 2 short story collections called "Untold Tales" based on peripheral characters in her books that I just love. I am friends with her on FB, she is quite a nice person. She has mentioned her books possibly being opted for a TV series or movie. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    So this is out of left field, but I just saw Pride and Prejudice (the Keira Knightly version) last night. I had never seen it before. I loved it. I am not a big fan of reading the classics, but seeing the movie has made me curious. Who has read the book? Is it good, or should I skip it?
    I've read it several times since I was a teenager and always enjoy it. Absolutely, read it!

And I agree with Critical, Kiera Knightly as Elizabeth Bennett was a terrible casting choice. There is only one Mr. Darcy, and that's Colin Firth. That version of P&P recently came out on Blue ray and I had to have it. I'm pretty sure the DVD I had was almost worn out!

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy View Post
    I've read it several times since I was a teenager and always enjoy it. Absolutely, read it!

And I agree with Critical, Kiera Knightly as Elizabeth Bennett was a terrible casting choice. There is only one Mr. Darcy, and that's Colin Firth. That version of P&P recently came out on Blue ray and I had to have it. I'm pretty sure the DVD I had was almost worn out!
    It was the first DVD I ever bought. I remember trying it out on my computer to see if it played on the program I had and I ended up watching the whole thing!

I refer to the KK version as "The CW Presents Jane Austen." I tried to watch and just hated it. KK just doesn't have the depth as an actress to play that character.

I loved in the second Bridget Jones book when Bridget had to interview Colin Firth about his latest film and she kept wanting to talk about the scene in P&P at the pond. Obviously, they had to leave that out of the movie.

Anyway, the book is much more complex and layered than any movie could ever be, although the Colin Firth version comes the closest.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    So this is out of left field, but I just saw Pride and Prejudice (the Keira Knightly version) last night. I had never seen it before. I loved it. I am not a big fan of reading the classics, but seeing the movie has made me curious. Who has read the book? Is it good, or should I skip it?
    I loved it as well. the book is even better
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

This is funny...I haven't read it but I stumbled upon it and read the synopsis and it cracks me up! It's a parody of Fifty Shades..

Fifty Shades of Silver Hair and Socks by Phil Torcivia
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I loved it as well. the book is even better
    Love P&P and Wuthering Heights. See a variety of P&P movies and I like the KK one for a quick reminder of why I like the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I just started reading it this morning and am really enjoying it! Looking forward to really getting into it, since I'm only about 70 pages in right now.
    I'm really curious to know how you liked it. I know you read a LOT, but this one is a gem in my book (heh, pun).
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    Love P&P and Wuthering Heights. See a variety of P&P movies and I like the KK one for a quick reminder of why I like the book.
    Wuthering Heights- Delicious!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I took everyone's advice and read it. It took me only a day. I loved it! But now with everything you all have said I am thinking I need to find the DVD of the Colin Firth version of the movie. Kind of funny to me, because I have heard it said many times that Bridget Jones Diary was inspired by, and kind of a modern version of, P&P - so hilarious that Colin Firth was also the Darcy character in that movie!!

+ Reply to Thread