+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I forgot that too! Wow that mirror screwed up a lot of lives, and must have continued on after Brandy and Shay.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I forgot that too! Wow that mirror screwed up a lot of lives, and must have continued on after Brandy and Shay.
    At the end of the book, theives broke into Shay's mother's house, the Gingerbread House, and stole the mirror. The mirror ended up at an antique store. One of the owner's of the antique store hung herself. A woman bought the mirror and put it in a trailer attached to her station wagon. The woman and her husband drove the mirror to New York City. The mirror was going to be a wedding present for the woman's daughter.
    cablejockey likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I'm reading Curses: a $*&#ed Up Fairy Tale by J.A. Kazimer. It's hilarious. A bit of bad language but it's a twisted take on fairy tales. I'm enjoying the heck out of it!
    I just got this one from the library. Looking forward to reading it!
    JavaJo likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Once I heard that Fifty Shades of Grey began as Twilight fan fiction, I was out. Not interested.
    I'm reading it now, and that's all I see: Christian = Edward, Ana = Bella, Jose = Jacob. Heck the physical descriptions of Christian & Ana are Robert Pattinson & Kristin Stewart! Yes, truly amazed that fan fic became a best seller, and now possibly a movie! Although, I don't know exactly how they can make full length film with the content in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    At the end of the book, theives broke into Shay's mother's house, the Gingerbread House, and stole the mirror. The mirror ended up at an antique store. One of the owner's of the antique store hung herself. A woman bought the mirror and put it in a trailer attached to her station wagon. The woman and her husband drove the mirror to New York City. The mirror was going to be a wedding present for the woman's daughter.
    I have got to re-read this.... its been years. I forgot about that!
    cablejockey likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

So this is out of left field, but I just saw Pride and Prejudice (the Keira Knightly version) last night. I had never seen it before. I loved it. I am not a big fan of reading the classics, but seeing the movie has made me curious. Who has read the book? Is it good, or should I skip it?

I've never been able to get through the Keira Knightly P&P because I just can't stand her and I LOVE P&P - she's just NOT Elizabeth Bennett. KK was a horrible mis-cast, IMO. My favorite P&P is the one with Colin Firth (the ONLY Mr. Darcy!) and Jennifer Ehle. I know, don't hold back there, Crit, tell us how you really feel!

It's a classic. It's fabulous. I've read it half a dozen times. Read it!
    moflan likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I concur, read it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Finished The Elegance of the Hedgehog in my car as I pulled into my parking space for work - crying because the ending was so beautiful... not how I expected it was going to end.
    I just started reading it this morning and am really enjoying it! Looking forward to really getting into it, since I'm only about 70 pages in right now.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    I'm reading it now, and that's all I see: Christian = Edward, Ana = Bella, Jose = Jacob. Heck the physical descriptions of Christian & Ana are Robert Pattinson & Kristin Stewart! Yes, truly amazed that fan fic became a best seller, and now possibly a movie! Although, I don't know exactly how they can make full length film with the content in the books.
    We were discussing the movie at work I laughed and said they have made many many full length movies exactly like the book but everyone is shopping in the wrong section of the movie store... they need to go behind the curtain and there you'll fine one movie after another based on the content of the book.

The other way I put it is other than a few pages in the beginning and couple at the end there isn't much content that could be shown in a movie. And honestly I don't know how well his personal brand of messed would translate to film. Apparently many women find him romantic in the books (I personally didn't) but to pair that with the shock of how BDSM actually looks I think it's going to be harder to be sympathetic to him on screen. I found many women I talk to have this fantasy of what they think BDSM may look like based on the books because they never saw it in person or even really in movies so they soften in their minds and even if they read stuff in the book against the fantasy they choose to disregard it and go along with the romantic fantasy version of BDSM as a simple kink for 2 minute encounters they have in their head.

+ Reply to Thread