+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I never read the Twilight books or saw the movies so I have zero point of reference there and was able to take them on their own. It's smut. I'm not entirely sure how it ever got popular with the general population as it does involve a lifestyle that is not widely looked upon favorably by the general public and I'm really kind of disappointed with how that was portrayed in general.

It's not a deep read and that's ok with me. Sometimes I need just mindless drivel.
    Mindless drivel is okay!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Once I heard that Fifty Shades of Grey began as Twilight fan fiction, I was out. Not interested.
    I didn't know that when I started but about 40-50 pages in, it reminded me so much of Twilight, I googled it. I just can't believe a book that started out as fanfiction was allowed to be published and the 'author' allowed to make money off of it! I've read lots of comparisons since that show how similar the book is to her Master of the Universe fanfic story, with only the names of characters and places being changed. Since I found that out, I haven't read any of the other books and I tell everyone I can what a rip-off I think this "saga" is.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I never read the Twilight books or saw the movies so I have zero point of reference there and was able to take them on their own. It's smut. I'm not entirely sure how it ever got popular with the general population as it does involve a lifestyle that is not widely looked upon favorably by the general public and I'm really kind of disappointed with how that was portrayed in general.

It's not a deep read and that's ok with me. Sometimes I need just mindless drivel.
    It's so popular b/c the women are reading Twilight all over again without knowing it! The author took the same writing style, albeit extremely, poorly written, and just changed some of the situations and added the x-rated sequences....
    Last edited by cantstopwatchin; 05-05-2012 at 08:13 PM.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Having not read Twilight and only the first 2 of the Grey books (and I'm not a huge reader of romance novels in general) I guess I'm disturbed by few things.

I didn't read the Twilight books because I was uncomfortable that they were at the time I glanced at them kind of meant for a younger reader and from what I recall in my looking at them portrayed relationships as controlling and, well, sick.

If I excuse all other things about the Grey books I'm bothered that people are finding the Grey books even remotely romantic with all the emotional blackmail and stalking etc. that happens in them and I can't help but think wow women actually find that stuff cute and romantic instead of scary and weird?

It wasn't a good read. I didn't find it romantic and how the lifestyle is portrayed bothered me but I find the reaction to it fascinating.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.

FORT Fogey

The Mirror is the same book that I read years ago! I wasn't sure if it was the same book or a similar book, but there was something very specific that I recall reading when I previously read the book... Brandy cut some slivers off of a bar of soap to wash the dishes. I also remember Brandy being concerned about her unclothed state, and Shay wanting to shave her legs... but proof positive for me were the slivers of soap. I also read another very unusual book about a woman who was shrunk so that she was only a few inches tall. The person who did that to her put the woman in a doll house. The woman couldn't accept what had happened to her, and thought that she could escape from the house that she was living in.
    cablejockey and libgirl2 like this.

I finished Alex George's A Good American a while ago - it was a quick read, maybe 2 days - and it was a definite It's not going to win a Pulitzer, but then no one is this year! It was just a sweet, funny story about family.

Keeping with the theme of immigration to the US and family, I'm reading Aimee Phan's The Reeducation of Cherry Truong, about a large extended Vietnamese family who leaves Vietnam in the 70's and goes to France and America. The family that came to the US settled in Orange County, where I'm from, so I know the various shopping centers and streets mentioned in the book. That's makes it fun. It's a slower read than the George book, but it's very good.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    The Mirror is the same book that I read years ago! I wasn't sure if it was the same book or a similar book, but there was something very specific that I recall reading when I previously read the book... Brandy cut some slivers off of a bar of soap to wash the dishes. I also remember Brandy being concerned about her unclothed state, and Shay wanting to shave her legs... but proof positive for me were the slivers of soap. I also read another very unusual book about a woman who was shrunk so that she was only a few inches tall. The person who did that to her put the woman in a doll house. The woman couldn't accept what had happened to her, and thought that she could escape from the house that she was living in.
    I am so glad it worked out for you! Shay and Brandy, that is what made me realize I had the right book, that and the shaved legs part.

Thanks all who recommended Room. Because of the discussion on here I got it put on our book club list. It is a fantastic book.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I am so glad it worked out for you! Shay and Brandy, that is what made me realize I had the right book, that and the shaved legs part.
    It had been years since I had read it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    Thanks all who recommended Room. Because of the discussion on here I got it put on our book club list. It is a fantastic book.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it! I got my mom to read and then she got it on her book club reading list as well. I think there might have been one person in her group that didn't like it, but the rest all loved it. I grabbed an advanced reader copy at a trade show because I'd read Donoghue's Slammerkin and really liked it. I can hardly imagine two books more different than Room and Slammerkin! I checked at least once to make sure it was the same writer! I can't imagine what her next book will be about, but I'm looking forward to it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm reading Curses: a $*&#ed Up Fairy Tale by J.A. Kazimer. It's hilarious. A bit of bad language but it's a twisted take on fairy tales. I'm enjoying the heck out of it!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread