+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    So, Miss Scarlet(t) . . . are you going to "worry about that tomorrow"? (Sorry - I'm in the middle of Gone with the Wind and I couldn't resist.)

:-)
    It's actually very appropriate. I like to put off everything to "tomorrow". Especially worrying.
    libgirl2 and AZChristian like this.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

I finished Strapless and just started I am Madame X by Gioia Diliberto, which is a novel about the subject of Sargent's painting and the focus of Strapless. I really should know better than to read fiction when I've just finished an exceptionally well-researched non-fiction about the same subject. There are already a few things that have annoyed me, including the fact that the fiction author is referring to the main character by her first name, when she always went by her middle name. Still, I thought it would give me a little more insight for my book club discussion.

Next up, if I have time, is "The Pupil" by Henry James. It's a short story with a main character said to be based on Sargent.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

For those of you who put off things until tomorrow.....won't you be annoyed if you "croak" tonight???? Especially if it involves a good book!!!! Nothing like arriving at the Pearly Gates with a scowl on you face!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I started A Good American by Alex George last night and am already 100+ pages in. From the book jacket:
    An uplifting novel about the families we create and the places we call home.

It is 1904. When Frederick and Jette must flee her disapproving mother, where better to go than America, the land of the new? Originally set to board a boat to New York, at the last minute, they take one destined for New Orleans instead ("What's the difference? They're both new"), and later find themselves, more by chance than by design, in the small town of Beatrice, Missouri. Not speaking a word of English, they embark on their new life together.

Beatrice is populated with unforgettable characters: a jazz trumpeter from the Big Easy who cooks a mean gumbo, a teenage boy trapped in the body of a giant, a pretty schoolteacher who helps the young men in town learn about a lot more than just music, a minister who believes he has witnessed the Second Coming of Christ, and a malevolent, bicycle-riding dwarf.

A Good American is narrated by Frederick and Jette's grandson, James, who, in telling his ancestors' story, comes to realize he doesn't know his own story at all. From bare-knuckle prizefighting and Prohibition to sweet barbershop harmonies, the Kennedy assassination, and beyond, James's family is caught up in the sweep of history. Each new generation discovers afresh what it means to be an American. And, in the process, Frederick and Jette's progeny sometimes discover more about themselves than they had bargained for.

Poignant, funny, and heartbreaking, A Good American is a novel about being an outsider-in your country, in your hometown, and sometimes even in your own family. It is a universal story about our search for home.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Finished The Elegance of the Hedgehog in my car as I pulled into my parking space for work - crying because the ending was so beautiful... not how I expected it was going to end.
    Count your blessings!

I've read 2 of the 3 50 Shades of Grey books over this week and the newest Southern Vampire Mystery book.

So back to Fifty... I think my biggest disappointment in that book is that while one can dip their toe into the water of this particular lifestyle I feel it perpetuates some stereotypes that I have found by and large are not true.

I'm also leery of the emotional blackmail used by the main male character in that book to get what he wants from the girl.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm trying to get started on the first book of Fifty Shades of Grey. I only bought it because it has gotten so much buzz, but this is not my usual interest in books. Wish me luck.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Once I heard that Fifty Shades of Grey began as Twilight fan fiction, I was out. Not interested.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Once I heard that Fifty Shades of Grey began as Twilight fan fiction, I was out. Not interested.
    From what I heard about it, I have read raunchier stuff. And yes, the Twilight angle turned me off too.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I never read the Twilight books or saw the movies so I have zero point of reference there and was able to take them on their own. It's smut. I'm not entirely sure how it ever got popular with the general population as it does involve a lifestyle that is not widely looked upon favorably by the general public and I'm really kind of disappointed with how that was portrayed in general.

It's not a deep read and that's ok with me. Sometimes I need just mindless drivel.

+ Reply to Thread