+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

  1. #6241
    Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,079

    Re: What are you reading?

    Someone recommended a book to me called "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society." Once I read the synopsis, I commented that it looked similar to "84 Charing Cross Road" (a personal favorite). She said it has been compared to that in the past. So I've downloaded it, but I'm only 27% of the way through a re-read of "Gone with the Wind," so it's going to be a couple of weeks before I get to it.

    One of my main reasons for wanting to read it is that you folks always post books with the most interesting names, and I wanted to be part of the "in" crowd. LOL.

    Has anyone else here read it? I tried to search the forum on the word "potato" and didn't find anything. (It wouldn't be the first time I couldn't find something in this forum that was there.)

  2. #6242
    FORT Fogey KatesMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Motor City
    Posts
    2,232

    Re: What are you reading?

    It got a lot of buzz a few years ago, I think. I bought it because so many were talking about it and said they loved it. I couldn't get more than about 20 pages in. I'm sure plenty loved it, but I need action. I compare it to movies like The Remains of the Day - which I know a lot of people loved, but I was bored to tears watching. I guess I'm just not that intellectual when it comes to my entertainment!

    I just finished reading Game Change. i really liked it and was very interested to get the inside scoop on the candidates and politicians. I think many have said this before, but of all the people covered, the Edwards definitely came off the worst.

  3. #6243
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,578

    Re: What are you reading?

    I am almost finished with the book "The Dressmaker" by Kate Alcott. It is a fascinating book based on the true story of Lucille Duff Gordon who was on the Titanic seen through the eyes of her servant as well as the press that covered the case, especially a young female reporter. The romance is light, the ship does sink, but what I found fascinating was the aftermath... the trial, the question of the "millionaire's lifeboat", bribery, suicide, Molly Brown and women's suffrage.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  4. #6244
    Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,079

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I am almost finished with the book "The Dressmaker" by Kate Alcott. It is a fascinating book based on the true story of Lucille Duff Gordon who was on the Titanic seen through the eyes of her servant as well as the press that covered the case, especially a young female reporter. The romance is light, the ship does sink, but what I found fascinating was the aftermath... the trial, the question of the "millionaire's lifeboat", bribery, suicide, Molly Brown and women's suffrage.
    Oooh - sounds like something I'd enjoy. I'll have to put it on my wishlist. :-)

  5. #6245
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,578

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Oooh - sounds like something I'd enjoy. I'll have to put it on my wishlist. :-)
    It has been a fantastic read so far. I did not want to go to sleep last night!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  6. #6246
    FORT Fogey KatesMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Motor City
    Posts
    2,232

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Oooh - sounds like something I'd enjoy. I'll have to put it on my wishlist. :-)
    Agreed. I remember that name from the movie - some joke about also making naughty lingerie! I'm gonna have to look into this one! Thanks, libgirl2!

  7. #6247
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,578

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Agreed. I remember that name from the movie - some joke about also making naughty lingerie! I'm gonna have to look into this one! Thanks, libgirl2!
    I looked up her character in the movie and yes I remember her!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  8. #6248
    FORT Fogey Miss Scarlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,992

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I am almost finished with the book "The Dressmaker" by Kate Alcott. It is a fascinating book based on the true story of Lucille Duff Gordon who was on the Titanic seen through the eyes of her servant as well as the press that covered the case, especially a young female reporter. The romance is light, the ship does sink, but what I found fascinating was the aftermath... the trial, the question of the "millionaire's lifeboat", bribery, suicide, Molly Brown and women's suffrage.
    Excellent short synopsis, libgirl2! In 1 short paragraph you made it look VERY interesting.
    I'll look in up in NookBooks. I need a new book to read now anyhow.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

  9. #6249
    Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,079

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Excellent short synopsis, libgirl2! In 1 short paragraph you made it look VERY interesting.
    I'll look in up in NookBooks. I need a new book to read now anyhow.
    So, Miss Scarlet(t) . . . are you going to "worry about that tomorrow"? (Sorry - I'm in the middle of Gone with the Wind and I couldn't resist.)

    :-)

  10. #6250
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,578

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    So, Miss Scarlet(t) . . . are you going to "worry about that tomorrow"? (Sorry - I'm in the middle of Gone with the Wind and I couldn't resist.)

    :-)
    I think I have read GWTW about 15 times, starting when I was in grade school.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.