+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Kiz

Re: What are you reading?

I highly recommend The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.

I wasn't hesitant to read this book because I thought it was going to be, well, too flowery. I generally like books with a little more action/grit. But, it wasn't at all what I expected. The story revolves around a young woman, Victoria, who has grown up in foster care and group homes. It begins on her 18th birthday as she has aged out of the system and is going to have to sink or swim in the world with very little assistance except for a short stay in a half way house. Through one of her stays in a foster home when she was a young girl, she learned to express her emotions through the language of flowers. The story weaves back and forth through her childhood to present day from chapter to chapter, but it all comes together in the end, and it gives you a very good understanding of how Victoria learned to cope.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

I am reading book I picked mostly because of the title. It turned out to be a good read--I couldnt put it down! Birthdays For The Dead by Stuart MacBride is the title.
    http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Title...-9780007344178

I'm picking my desultory way through The Cottagers, which I plucked from the library shelf only because it is set in one of my favorite places in the world (Sooke, BC). What I'm really looking forward to is A Proper Education for Girls, a debut novel from Elaine DiRollo. It's about a pair of sisters and set in 1857 England & India - love Victorian England so my hopes are high.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Chuck Palahniuk's Damned. Quick, amusing read. It's supposed to be a YA novel but I'm not quite ready to let my 13-year-old take a crack at it, even though the narrator is also 13. Anyone who read it will know what I'm talking about. I'd sooner let her read Fight Club or even Invisible Monsters.
    LOL I def agree that this didn't seem like it was YA. I lent it to my little sister a few months ago, but she's 28, I think I'd be a little hesitant about giving it to a 13 year old too. I read Invisible Monsters by him a little while ago and really liked it as well, it's different for sure but it's a pretty quick read, perfect for after a busy day at work!
    I'm reading The Girl who Played with Fire right now ...well for the past few weeks haha, I went on vacation and didn't have time to pick it up once the plane landed. I'm really liking it tho, I have about 1/4 left and have the 3rd book waiting on the shelf.

I just started the new Connelly book, The Drop. So far, quite good.

Have to recommend Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn West. It won the National Book Award and is the story of a black's family's encounter with Hurricane Katrina in Mississippi.
    There are some really rough scenes in the book that revolve around dog fights. They were extremely difficult for me, but am so glad I persevered, as the book turned out to be poignant, heartwarming and uplifting. I highly recommend it.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I checked this out at the Library after I read your post. I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the recommendation.
    You are welcome. I do hope you enjoy. I find myself wanting to reread it already as I enjoyed it so much.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I'm reading Strapless by Debra Davis for the second time, this time for my book club. I read it probably 8 years ago and loved it. It's about John Singer Sargent and the story behind his painting Madame X. It reads like a great, dishy, novel, but it's non-fiction. Lots of scandal in 19th century Paris. Good stuff!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I once read a book, which I really enjoyed, about time travel. A woman ended up changing places with her grandmother. I don't remember the name of the book. A librarian told me that time travel isn't a subject category, so I wouldn't be able to find the name of the book... or find out names of other books about time travel.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I once read a book, which I really enjoyed, about time travel. A woman ended up changing places with her grandmother. I don't remember the name of the book. A librarian told me that time travel isn't a subject category, so I wouldn't be able to find the name of the book... or find out names of other books about time travel.
    Could it be The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser? I read it many years ago and also couldn't remember the title or author. The granddaughter is at her wedding day and her catatonic grandmother is there. An old mirror is delivered and zap, they switch places.

And time travel is a subject, maybe not for that book though. I am a librarian.

+ Reply to Thread