+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    *sighs* The Hunger Games. Somebody help me *anguished cry*. I do NOT want to read this book, however, I work closely with middle school girls and they are all about this book. I feel obligated to read it. All they talk about are these books and I am on principal opposed to books that feature child on child killings. However, I do not feel that a person should say they don't like something unless they know what they are talking about.

So I put the book on my Nook and I am plugging away a little at a time. I am not enjoying it, not at all. I'm waiting for that AH-HA moment to happen that has caused so many people to lose their minds, I am still waiting. I'm not that far into the book though, so who knows?
    It's nice to know there are others who feel the same as I do about this book. My daughter (adult) has read all of them, loved them and told me I should read them. We usually agree on books.
    I tried but couldn't read more than a third of it. For me, it was the child-killing aspect. Just couldn't handle that aspect. My daughter says she totally understands why I couldn't read it, since I lost my son 6 years ago. I'm sure that's probably part of it but I still don't think I could enjoy the killing of children, even older children.
    Just writing the words "killing children" gives me the creeps.
    So thank you, Harmony 2000, for expressing your feeling also. I avoid talking about the book because I thought I was the only person in the world who didn't like it or want to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    I think my problem, though, is that I'm comparing everything to the Song of Fire and Ice series and nothing lives up. ((sigh)) If anyone's got some good recommendations for books of this genre, I'd appreciate it!
    I think the best sci fi/fantasy book I have read in the past couple of years (besides the GRRM books) was American Gods by Neil Gaiman. The entire premise was completely new to me and I loved it! They are supposed to be adapting it into a show for HBO.

I just picked up What It Is Like to Go to War by Karl Marlantes. He's a Vietnam Vet who also wrote Matterhorn. I heard him speak at an event last fall and he was SO good. I don't expect this to be an easy read, but I know it will be worth it. Huffington Post chose it for their book club, so I thought it was a good excuse to start it now.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

In honor of the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, I'm re-reading "A Night to Remember" by Walter Lord. I remember reading it 50 years ago, and that was the beginning of my fascination with the true story of the ship that was supposedly unsinkable.
    tapper01 likes this.

FORT Fogey

I thought I was the only person in the world who didn't like it or want to read it.
    ::Raises hand:: You're not alone. I had no interest in reading The Hunger Games, although my son and his wife both loved all 3 books and encouraged me to read them. I did see the movie with my DH and was not impressed; DH liked it. I guess the subject matter just didn't appeal to me on any level. I didn't read any of the Harry Potter books either, but I did see the movies and enjoyed them for what they were (my DH would grumble about what was missing from the books).

Just finished the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaccson. It's a very "real" bio, like Andre Agassi's One, in that Isaccson tells the story of Jobs' life as it was, warts and all. A fascinating read. Two more bios on mylist: Natural Woman by Carol King and Life by Keith Richards. I got both of them as audio books. Carol narrates her own story, and Johnny Depp and another reader narrate the Richards bio, with Johnny doing is impeccable Keith Richards accent, and an "appearance" by Keith himself.

For fluff I like romantic comedies. I am a sucker for a love story that is full of all sorts of things going hilariously wrong along the way. I also like a really fast paced book, I get bored easily and I am far too busy to wade through pages of describing every minute detail of a scene.

I just bought Werewolf in Seattle by Vicki Lewis Thompson. I loved her Werewolf in Manhattan so I had to buy this one as soon as I saw it come available for my Nook. I plan on buying Wicked Edge by Nina Bangs next, it's her latest in the Castle of Dark Dreams series and I actually love these books for the supporting cast. Both of these authors do a great job combining humor with romance and keeping the action fast paced.

No, lol, I have not even started reading the Hunger Games book. I'm taking three classes right now to get re-certified and I only have the mental capacity for fluff at the moment. I will start it in 10 weeks when I'm done with these horrible classes.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I just finished 1000 White Women by Jim Fergus. What a delight and enlightening book! It is the story of a man who finds the lost journals of his great, great grandmother, May Dodd, who he was always lead to believe was in an insane asylum until her death. Turns out she actually was in one (for living in sin with a man and bearing his children!) but when the opportunity rose to get out, she ended up participating in a US Government program to send 1000 white women for marriage to the Cheyenne in exchange for horses in order "marry" the two cultures. Fascinating story...and heart breaking as well. Some very valid points are brought about on religion and society.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Chuck Palahniuk's Damned. Quick, amusing read. It's supposed to be a YA novel but I'm not quite ready to let my 13-year-old take a crack at it, even though the narrator is also 13. Anyone who read it will know what I'm talking about. I'd sooner let her read Fight Club or even Invisible Monsters.

As I wait for some library reservations I'm also re-reading Wally Lamb's The Hour I First Believed. I'm not one who requires a happy ending but by the time I finish one of Lamb's books I feel like I need a stiff drink or a Prozac.
    norealityhere likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I just finished 1000 White Women by Jim Fergus. What a delight and enlightening book! It is the story of a man who finds the lost journals of his great, great grandmother, May Dodd, who he was always lead to believe was in an insane asylum until her death. Turns out she actually was in one (for living in sin with a man and bearing his children!) but when the opportunity rose to get out, she ended up participating in a US Government program to send 1000 white women for marriage to the Cheyenne in exchange for horses in order "marry" the two cultures. Fascinating story...and heart breaking as well. Some very valid points are brought about on religion and society.
    I checked this out at the Library after I read your post. I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the recommendation.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

"I Am The Messenger" by Zusak.

I loved "The Book Thief" so I had to pick this one up to give it a try. I found it to be a hilarious yet heart wrenching story... it was a little bit preachy but is so worth the read.

Otherwise, my children were part of a Book Battle at their school where they read eight books and then compete with other schools head to head on (nit-picky) questions based on the books. They recommended many of the books to me and I have enjoyed reading them! If you have children in the tween/teen age bracket, these are highly recommended... actually, I recommend them for anybody:

The Man Who Loved Clowns by June Rae Wood
    The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen
    Maniac Magee by Spinelli
    B for Buster by Lawrence

There are more, and I'll post them as I think of them.

+ Reply to Thread