+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Hang in there with book 2! I didn't like it as much as Feed, but there are things that happen near the end (and I'm not even going to post it in spoiler tags!) that make it worth it. Book 3 comes out soon and I think it will be a return to more zombie action.....at least I hope so! I will say that I think the conspiracy stuff is important long-term or the series is in danger of devolving into them just killing zombies and I don't think that's interesting without the other stuff. It's hard to sustain that tension over a series without adding the science and politics.
    OK, you were right - great twist at the end of book 2, and it tied in very neatly with the
    Click to see Spoiler:
    event that brought Kelly back into their lives
    . I still find the George/Shaun stuff hard to take but I'm very curious to see what Grant will do with that relationship in book 3.

Now taking a break from the undead and reading Playing With Fire, Theo Fleury's biography. I read very few biographies but this one should be required reading for all parents with kids in hockey. I was a fan of Fleury's since he entered the NHL and I was sick about how his career was ruined because of his substance abuse, and when he came out as another victim of Graham James, I cried. Non-hockey fans might find his detailed play-by-play of his standout games and goals a little tiresome, and he can be an egotistical little SOB (as anyone who watched him play can attest to ), but there is a rawness to his narration - especially when he speaks about James and his experiences in Moose Jaw - that is heart-wrenching.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    LOL, you are probably right about the girls. I'm not sure that comparing a work of fiction with the Holocaust is right. However, the bookseller at Barnes & Nobles made a good comparison when I expressed my concern that the popularity of these books will affect future books (just look at what Twilight has done). She said that when she read the books, she was reminded of The Lord of The Flies. We had a very good conversation about the two books. It is why I'm going to read it. This book is becoming part of the social lexicon and when the girls (and adults) discuss it, I would like to know what the heck they are talking about.
    I've compared some of the scenes to Lord of the Flies as well b/c of their gruesome nature (FWIW, DH thought LotF was worse) but actually found myself mostly comparing it to Night, one of the hardest books I've ever read b/c of its content (and we had to read that in high school!) but I'd also call it one of the best books I've read for its making me think. If you can force yourself to read it even though you don't like that kind of material, Harmony2000, my hat's off to you. I remember having to read Moby Dick and being bored out of my head and hating every moment of it. So I feel for you!

As for my latest books, I'm having a really hard time finding a good sci fi/fantasy book to read. I started one but couldn't get past the first few pages b/c of horrible grammar/spelling (for ex: "The wait of the pack increased with every step we took" and "We were hold up in a bunker for 3 days"). How was something like that published! I was very happy to be able to return it to Kindle for a refund.

I think my problem, though, is that I'm comparing everything to the Song of Fire and Ice series and nothing lives up. ((sigh)) If anyone's got some good recommendations for books of this genre, I'd appreciate it!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

elk

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    I think my problem, though, is that I'm comparing everything to the Song of Fire and Ice series and nothing lives up. ((sigh)) If anyone's got some good recommendations for books of this genre, I'd appreciate it!
    Cantstopwatchin, have you read the books by Patrick Rothfuss? There are two (so far) in his trilogy: The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear.

I, too, wanted something similar to the Song of Ice and Fire series and I found that these books, although different, had a 'Martin-ish' feel to them. Rothfuss has meticulously built another world with well-formed characters (likable and not-so-much). He is also quite a funny guy. I didn't find the mistakes you mentioned in them; I have found them in other sci-fi/fantasy novels.

I think you'll like them. Let me know if you give them a try.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elk View Post
    Cantstopwatchin, have you read the books by Patrick Rothfuss? There are two (so far) in his trilogy: The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear.

I, too, wanted something similar to the Song of Ice and Fire series and I found that these books, although different, had a 'Martin-ish' feel to them. Rothfuss has meticulously built another world with well-formed characters (likable and not-so-much). He is also quite a funny guy. I didn't find the mistakes you mentioned in them; I have found them in other sci-fi/fantasy novels.

I think you'll like them. Let me know if you give them a try.
    Thank you! I have and read the first book but didn't realize a second one was out. I'll have to pick it up b/c I really did like Name of the Wind (and seriously contemplated how to split my mind like he did-LOL!). I'll reread it and then start the new one. Thanks for the recommendation!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I'm in the middle of The Gravedigger's Ball by Solomon Jones. Not a bad little crime story, with a bit of supernatural thrown in.

Not sure what I'll get next....I've been wanting to pick up Feed. Hmm.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Someone recently posted about The First Grave On The Right trilogy and I have to say....thank you for the suggestion. I'm only about 1/3 of the way through the first one but I'm enjoying it. My poor cheeks hurt from laughing!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post

I really like James Alan Gardner - in the sci-fi/fantasy genre.

Fort Member

Bad men,bad girls and the guerilla knitters institute by Maggie Groff.
    We have moved from Singapore to Jakarta and our furniture does not arrive for another two weeks
    I have already been in this beautiful hotel for 3 weeks so I have already polished off the new Kellerman a couple of bad chiclit and have
    The new Harlin Corbin as well as Kate Ellis on the way so picked up the above at the airport not expecting much but
    I am really enjoying it alot it is a really good read and I am hoping there is a second one

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    Someone recently posted about The First Grave On The Right trilogy and I have to say....thank you for the suggestion. I'm only about 1/3 of the way through the first one but I'm enjoying it. My poor cheeks hurt from laughing!
    Oooh - Let me know how you like them as you go along. I LOVED them. Probably me who raved about them.
    JavaJo likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I believe it was you that recommended them, Gut. I'm at 94% on the first one and I've got the other two locked and loaded on my Kindle...lol. I'm really enjoying it so far. Its funny with likable characters and the concept is a bit different than anything else I've read. I love Ubie!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

+ Reply to Thread