+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

Where I come from, that's called the free public library!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

*sighs* The Hunger Games. Somebody help me *anguished cry*. I do NOT want to read this book, however, I work closely with middle school girls and they are all about this book. I feel obligated to read it. All they talk about are these books and I am on principal opposed to books that feature child on child killings. However, I do not feel that a person should say they don't like something unless they know what they are talking about.

So I put the book on my Nook and I am plugging away a little at a time. I am not enjoying it, not at all. I'm waiting for that AH-HA moment to happen that has caused so many people to lose their minds, I am still waiting. I'm not that far into the book though, so who knows?

I ever finished this book, they may find me years from now clutching the Nook with cobwebs hanging off me. I will read Confessions of a Scary Mommy: An Honest and Irreverent Look at Motherhood: The Good, The Bad, and the Scary by Jill Smokler.
    cablejockey and inthegarden like this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    *sighs* The Hunger Games. Somebody help me *anguished cry*. I do NOT want to read this book, however, I work closely with middle school girls and they are all about this book. I feel obligated to read it. All they talk about are these books and I am on principal opposed to books that feature child on child killings. However, I do not feel that a person should say they don't like something unless they know what they are talking about.

So I put the book on my Nook and I am plugging away a little at a time. I am not enjoying it, not at all. I'm waiting for that AH-HA moment to happen that has caused so many people to lose their minds, I am still waiting. I'm not that far into the book though, so who knows?

I ever finished this book, they may find me years from now clutching the Nook with cobwebs hanging off me. I will read Confessions of a Scary Mommy: An Honest and Irreverent Look at Motherhood: The Good, The Bad, and the Scary by Jill Smokler.
    I haven't read them either for all of the reason you listed. I have put them on reserve at the Library but cancelled the hold. Normally, I can read just about anything and maybe one day I'll read The Hunger Games, but for now, I just don't want the imagery of kids killing kids in my mind.
    Since you are having a difficult time too, let me know if I need to read them.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

*sighs* The Hunger Games.
    If I may...

Yes, the child killing child is horrible; but, so was the Holocaust (to use an extreme example) and we don't refuse to read/learn about that. We also get great stories of survival and hope and love, that show us the good side of humans, out of the concentration camps. The Hunger Games is filled with these moments too. It is so much more than just the killings.

Though I suspect that middle school girls like it for the superficial stuff, like the who-will-she-choose romance.

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2 View Post
    If I may...

Yes, the child killing child is horrible; but, so was the Holocaust (to use an extreme example) and we don't refuse to read/learn about that. We also get great stories of survival and hope and love, that show us the good side of humans, out of the concentration camps. The Hunger Games is filled with these moments too. It is so much more than just the killings.

Though I suspect that middle school girls like it for the superficial stuff, like the who-will-she-choose romance.
    LOL, you are probably right about the girls. I'm not sure that comparing a work of fiction with the Holocaust is right. However, the bookseller at Barnes & Nobles made a good comparison when I expressed my concern that the popularity of these books will affect future books (just look at what Twilight has done). She said that when she read the books, she was reminded of The Lord of The Flies. We had a very good conversation about the two books. It is why I'm going to read it. This book is becoming part of the social lexicon and when the girls (and adults) discuss it, I would like to know what the heck they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I haven't read them either for all of the reason you listed. I have put them on reserve at the Library but cancelled the hold. Normally, I can read just about anything and maybe one day I'll read The Hunger Games, but for now, I just don't want the imagery of kids killing kids in my mind.
    Since you are having a difficult time too, let me know if I need to read them.
    I've got to read "The Secret School" for the school's book club (3rd, 4th, and 5th grade after school reading group). Soon as I finish that, I will delve more into this one. I will make it a point to come back here and tell you what I thought of it. My main reason for reading it is because of the huge hoopla surrounding it. As somebody around children all the time, I think it is important to understand what is exciting them. It is why many of the teachers will play the video games and see the movies, so they can relate to the children and find new ways to communicate with them.

I've got to read "The Secret School" for the school's book club (3rd, 4th, and 5th grade after school reading group). Soon as I finish that, I will delve more into this one. I will make it a point to come back here and tell you what I thought of it. My main reason for reading it is because of the huge hoopla surrounding it. As somebody around children all the time, I think it is important to understand what is exciting them. It is why many of the teachers will play the video games and see the movies, so they can relate to the children and find new ways to communicate with them.
    I admire the fact that even though the subject matter puts you off, you want to read it to know what you're talking about rather that passing snap judgements on a book & series so many love. Then, if you hate it you will have legitimate reasons.
    I know too many people who criticize books on misguided principle, when they've never read the book & don't know what they're talking about. The Harry Potter series is the perfect example.

Personally, I can never read The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo or see the movie. I just can't bear to read or watch rape shown or described as a plot point. That doesn't mean I'll ever criticize the book/movie. I've heard both are wonderful & would love to be able to see for myself. I just can't.
    I accept the fact that personal preferences don't mean something is bad. But if you want to discuss or criticize it you have to be familiar with it.

If you just can't bear to read The Hunger Games, don't beat yourself up about it. Just let others love it & discuss it without you. None of us are the same.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I admire the fact that even though the subject matter puts you off, you want to read it to know what you're talking about rather that passing snap judgements on a book & series so many love. Then, if you hate it you will have legitimate reasons.
    I know too many people who criticize books on misguided principle, when they've never read the book & don't know what they're talking about. The Harry Potter series is the perfect example......
    Thank you, Miss Scarlet. I actually got into a long discussion with the girls. I was waiting for the photography class I help teach to start and we were hanging out in the English class. I told them that a long time ago there were a group of people who didn't figure things out for themselves, they just let somebody else do the thinking for them. Those people soon found themselves at war or in concentration camps. The teacher was just nodding because he already knew where I was going with it. I told them that many problems in this country could be traced back to ignorance. Those speaking out against something they know nothing about or those following a leader when they know nothing about the leader or their stance (in this country). Because I do believe that knowledge and information is power, I have to read at least the first book. As you said, then when I tell the children that I don't think that 5th grade girls should be reading these books it will come from a place of knowledge.

Yes, there are 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade girls in our school reading the books and going to the movies. I am not even sure that they can grasp the subject matter. It's why I'm reading them. But I have a weak stomach for violence, I don't watch violent shows or movies, so this is going to be challenging. May have to skim over any gory battle parts.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I just finished the entire "Hunger Games" trilogy yesterday. I really loved the books, even though some of the subject matter was difficult. I started reading the Twilight series a few years ago because I have granddaughters who were really into it. I kept waiting for the "a-HA" moment while reading the first "Twilight" book. It never came, and I didn't read any of the other books.

I was drawn into the Harry Potter books within the first 30 pages of "Sorcerer's Stone" and am now a huge fan of ALL things Potter. (I just ordered the books for my Kindle, but don't have my Amazon password here at work and have to wait until I get home to complete the download. And the 8-hour wait is killing me!)

I was also drawn into "The Hunger Games" fairly early on. Having come from an abusive childhood, I wanted to read about this strong young woman who stood up for herself and others and persevered over the challenges she was facing. But the last few pages of the last book (before the epilogue) were hard to read. Very violent. Very sad.

My grown daughter read the Hunger Games Trilogy & liked it but didn't love it enough to call & tell me to read it like she does with a lot of other books/series. I plan on going to the movie first & if it piques my interest, I'll get the books.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread