+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

"The Personal History of Rachel DuPree" by Ann Weisgarber. A book about African American Homesteaders in the badlands of South Dakota

When Rachel, hired help in a Chicago boardinghouse, falls in love with Isaac, the boardinghouse owner's son, he makes her a bargain: he'll marry her, but only if she gives up her 160 acres from the Homestead Act so he can double his share. She agrees, and together they stake their claim in the forebodingly beautiful South Dakota Badlands.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I just started Edmund de Waal's The Hare With Amber Eyes. It's for my book club and several other members have already finished it and loved it. I'm looking forward to really getting into it!
    Oh, I'm going to have to read this! You recommend the BEST books!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Oh, I'm going to have to read this! You recommend the BEST books!
    I think you'll really like it! Interesting topic and really well written. I select about 75-80% of the books for my book club, but I can't take credit for this one. A bookseller in town recommended it to the woman I run the book club with.

I've got SO much to do this week that it's going to be a bit of a crunch to get the book finished in time. It isn't a fast read and there's a lot of detail. I want to read is slowly and absorb it all. I don't want to have to skim the last 50 pages a few hours before we meet! Once again, I should have started the book sooner!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I started 50 Shades of Grey (yes, I'll admit it) but couldn't finish it b/c the similarities between it and Twilight really bothered me. Then I found out the series started as fanfiction based on Twilight, so I refuse to buy any more of the books. I really wish I'd known that before I bought it! And how there isn't a lawsuit against the author is beyond me but that's a different discussion...

I just breezed through Bossypants by Tina Fey and loved it! It was a quick and easy read with LOL moments. I really didn't know too much about her other than her SNL skits and a few 30 Rock episodes that I've watched so reading about how she got there was interesting.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I'm reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I'm only on the 3rd chapter but so far, I'm enjoying it.
    I've been on the Library waiting list since you all recommended it and thought I would never get to read it.

OMG - I lOVED The Night Circus. I listened to it on a library audio book, but then I bought a hard copy to loan out and on my kindle for my girls to read.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You loan out your books???? Never, in a million years on this end!!!!

I've come to understand that NOBODY will respect my books to my satisfaction! Not worth losing a friend over (for me) or looking with a sideways snarl at somebody for the rest of our days!
    Jamie5632 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    You loan out your books???? Never, in a million years on this end!!!!

I've come to understand that NOBODY will respect my books to my satisfaction! Not worth losing a friend over (for me) or looking with a sideways snarl at somebody for the rest of our days!
    I used to loan out some of my books when I was younger. I am still waiting for the return of 2 books 30 years later.....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Unfortunately, there are some things you (I) just don't forget!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have three books I buy extras of and give to people. If I get them back I give them to other people.
    Eat to Live
    Life After Life
    The Shell Seekers (Rosamunde Pilcher)
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread