+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I read Left Neglected and really enjoyed it. Her first book, Still Alice, is even better. If you enjoy Left Neglected and haven't read that one, definitely check it out! Still Alice is about a woman with early on-set Alzhemiers disease. It's told from her perspective, but does a great job of showing the impact on her entire family.
    I LOVED Still Alice! I think it should be required reading for anyone who has a loved one with Alzheimer's. Although it's very sad, it was sort of comforting in a weird way.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I have been tempted to read it, but am afraid as I haven't like King's recent works. I might give it a go as everyone seems to be raving about it.
    I had avoided King for years for the same reason . . . but I did enjoy 11/22/63. Someone above posted that they liked the ending. I read that it wasn't the original ending King wrote. His son read the book before it was submitted for publication and HE didn't like the original ending and either re-wrote or outlined how he thought the book should end. Good on ya, young Mr. King. If Stephen had messed up ANOTHER ending, I'd have been done with him for good.

I've just jumped into "Hunger Games" for the first time. I'm really enjoying it.

FORT Fogey

I started reading the Hunger Games this weekend too. So far, I feel like I'm reading it more out of obligation than a real interest. I'm expecting that to change since so many people love it. If you google for it, you can find the original ending for 11/22/63 on line. It is slightly different, but not dramatically different. I think what Stephen King's son came up with has a bit more heart, but its not a totally different idea.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Finished "The Hunger Games." Liked it a lot. Headed for the theater within the next couple of days. :-)
    Cootie likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Just read Dr. Lisa Masterson's memoir, "Paper Dollhouse". Her upbringing was amazing when I think of where she began, the roads she traversed, and where she is today. Her story is fascinating, and will hold your attention. I can't help but think about how we make assumptions about people from the way they look and our imaginations, but seldom have a clue as to their real story. Really good read!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Ok, I finished Mira Grant's Feed, which I really liked - original, lots of action & coincidentally topical since it's set in the middle of a GOP leadership race. The cultural references had me rolling, too - the "Irwins", the "Golden Steve-O Award". I wasn't even that mad that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the main character was killed off

Now I'm reading Deadline and I'm pissed. The relationship between George & Shaun was borderline in the first book, now it's full-out creepy as hell (not fun-creepy, either). The remaining characters seem to have completely different personalities. I think Grant got a little too slash-happy with the first book -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    killing Buffy & the senator's daughter made sense, but it would have been better to keep George for at least one more book
    . And I don't love how it's becoming more about the conspiracy and less about the zombies. Mind you I'm only 200 pages in so I'm holding out hope there will be some ravenous hordes making some appearances.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Ok, I finished Mira Grant's Feed, which I really liked - original, lots of action & coincidentally topical since it's set in the middle of a GOP leadership race. The cultural references had me rolling, too - the "Irwins", the "Golden Steve-O Award". I wasn't even that mad that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the main character was killed off

Now I'm reading Deadline and I'm pissed. The relationship between George & Shaun was borderline in the first book, now it's full-out creepy as hell (not fun-creepy, either). The remaining characters seem to have completely different personalities. I think Grant got a little too slash-happy with the first book -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    killing Buffy & the senator's daughter made sense, but it would have been better to keep George for at least one more book
    . And I don't love how it's becoming more about the conspiracy and less about the zombies. Mind you I'm only 200 pages in so I'm holding out hope there will be some ravenous hordes making some appearances.
    Hang in there with book 2! I didn't like it as much as Feed, but there are things that happen near the end (and I'm not even going to post it in spoiler tags!) that make it worth it. Book 3 comes out soon and I think it will be a return to more zombie action.....at least I hope so! I will say that I think the conspiracy stuff is important long-term or the series is in danger of devolving into them just killing zombies and I don't think that's interesting without the other stuff. It's hard to sustain that tension over a series without adding the science and politics.

I just started Edmund de Waal's The Hare With Amber Eyes. It's for my book club and several other members have already finished it and loved it. I'm looking forward to really getting into it!

The Ephrussis were a grand banking family, as rich and respected as the Rothschilds, who “burned like a comet” in nineteenth-century Paris and Vienna society. Yet by the end of World War II, almost the only thing remaining of their vast empire was a collection of 264 wood and ivory carvings, none of them larger than a matchbox.

The renowned ceramicist Edmund de Waal became the fifth generation to inherit this small and exquisite collection of netsuke. Entranced by their beauty and mystery, he determined to trace the story of his family through the story of the collection.

The netsuke—drunken monks, almost-ripe plums, snarling tigers—were gathered by Charles Ephrussi at the height of the Parisian rage for all things Japanese. Charles had shunned the place set aside for him in the family business to make a study of art, and of beautiful living. An early supporter of the Impressionists, he appears, oddly formal in a top hat, in Renoir’s Luncheon of the Boating Party. Marcel Proust studied Charles closely enough to use him as a model for the aesthete and lover Swann in Remembrance of Things Past.

Charles gave the carvings as a wedding gift to his cousin Viktor in Vienna; his children were allowed to play with one netsuke each while they watched their mother, the Baroness Emmy, dress for ball after ball. Her older daughter grew up to disdain fashionable society. Longing to write, she struck up a correspondence with Rilke, who encouraged her in her poetry.

The Anschluss changed their world beyond recognition. Ephrussi and his cosmopolitan family were imprisoned or scattered, and Hitler’s theorist on the “Jewish question” appropriated their magnificent palace on the Ringstrasse. A library of priceless books and a collection of Old Master paintings were confiscated by the Nazis. But the netsuke were smuggled away by a loyal maid, Anna, and hidden in her straw mattress. Years after the war, she would find a way to return them to the family she’d served even in their exile.

In The Hare with Amber Eyes, Edmund de Waal unfolds the story of a remarkable family and a tumultuous century. Sweeping yet intimate, it is a highly original meditation on art, history, and family, as elegant and precise as the netsuke themselves.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I'm a little late with this one - but I just picked up Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. I have enjoyed his other books, even if the "who did its" are fairly obvious and the plot lines similar.

Just finished Zombie, Ohio by Scott Kenemore which I read for the horror book club I run. Interesting take on zombies, friendship and what exactly is humanity and it was also quite funny in parts. And for me, a seasoned horror fan, I was a bit grossed out by the eating human parts. Not that they were graphic, but just as the character enjoyed them so much.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I started reading the Hunger Games this weekend too. So far, I feel like I'm reading it more out of obligation than a real interest. I'm expecting that to change since so many people love it. If you google for it, you can find the original ending for 11/22/63 on line. It is slightly different, but not dramatically different. I think what Stephen King's son came up with has a bit more heart, but its not a totally different idea.
    I got Hunger Games and feel the same way. I decided to try it on CD as I read the first few pages and felt forced.

So its sounding like King has an editor after all!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread