+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2 View Post
    I started A Discovery of Witches (again) and though it took me a few chapters to get in to it - I can barely put it down now! I wouldn't say it's great literature; but, it's entertaining.
    I really enjoyed that one! Like you said, not great literature, but a fun read!

I'm still plugging away at The True Memoirs of Little K. Honestly, I haven't taken much time to read lately because I've been focused on other things. Plus, it's a slow read and that's a little frustrating. I picked up Double Booked for Death by Ali Brandon last night to kind of give myself a break. It's a light, silly mystery set in a bookstore. Looks like it will be a fast read.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm struggling to get through Unlimited Access. It's written by an ex FBI agent, about purported shenanigans during the Clinton administration. The subject matter is interesting, but this has to be the driest, dullest "writing" I've ever read. Ugh.

I need to hurry and finish it so I can read something fun. That doesn't put me to sleep.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I talked my book club into reading 11/22/63 for our next meeting. It's a month away, and I cannot wait for everyone else in the club to hurry up and read it! I'm normally one of the women in our group who will get off track, talking about families, soccer leagues and what not. But for that book, I'm going to get really snippy if people want to get off track. There's just so much to talk about with it that I really hope we get to have a great and long discussion about it
    I have been tempted to read it, but am afraid as I haven't like King's recent works. I might give it a go as everyone seems to be raving about it.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I really enjoyed that one! Like you said, not great literature, but a fun read!.
    I just finished it (A Discovery of Witches) and came away annoyed at where the story left off! But the second book (it will be a trilogy), Shadow of Night, comes out in July!
    cablejockey likes this.

I've blown through several little mysteries in the last few days. First up was Double Booked for Death by Ali Brandon. It's a murder mystery set in a bookstore in NYC. A popular tween author is run down in the street during a book signing and hijinks ensue. A black cat "helps" solve the crime. Not great, but good.

Next was Murder Under Cover by Kate Carlisle. This is a series based on SF with a book restorer as the lead character - one of my favorite cities and lots of talk about books and hot men. Not quite as mad-capped as the Evanovich books, but I think better written. I'm now reading Carlisle's latest, One Book in the Grave. These are super quick reads, but I really enjoy them. Although they're not terribly deep, she talks a bit about the process of book restoration in each book, which I find really interesting.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm reading Juliet by Anne Fortier. Intrigue in Siena by a descendant of Juliet of Shakespear fame.
    Count your blessings!

I loved Juliet! Very fast-paced and entertaining! And oddly plausible...

I also really enjoyed 11/22/63, and I am a former Stephen King junkie from way back in his early years -- who had gotten so over him that I hadn't even tried any of his books for years and years. It was very good and the pages just flew by. I bought it for my nook so I wouldn't have to carry that giant tome around!

A Discovery of Witches was loads of fun, I am eagerly awaiting the sequel this July. It was easy to suspend disbelief and really get into it.

I just finished Chris Perez book about his late wife Selena. Very moving and heart-wrenching. Such a tragedy.

I have almost finished Left Neglected by Lisa Genova. Its not the usual kind of story I read, but it interesting and hard to put down. A woman who drives herself at work and in her family life gets in a car accident that leaves with a condition where she can't use the left side of her body because of a brain injury. Her arm leg and eye work but she cant control them. Her world comes to a complete halt as she tries to cope and recover.
    Left Neglected by Lisa Genova – Review | At Home With Books

FORT Fogey

I read Left Neglected and really enjoyed it. Her first book, Still Alice, is even better. If you enjoy Left Neglected and haven't read that one, definitely check it out! Still Alice is about a woman with early on-set Alzhemiers disease. It's told from her perspective, but does a great job of showing the impact on her entire family.
    cablejockey likes this.

+ Reply to Thread