+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I just finished reading Stephen King's newsest book 11/22/63 and I absolutely loved it. I was so scared of a 1000 page book I almost didn't even try it. But my husband kept on telling me I'd read that many pages whether it was in one book or 3. I'm so glad he talked me in to it. The book is about a man travelling through time to prevent the Kennedy assasination but there is so much more to the story than that. I just loved everything about it and it didn't even feel like it was that long.
    One nice thing about the Kindle---it's easy not to know how big a book is when you start it! I really enjoyed 11/22/63,glad you did as well. Of course I was in college in those days so the whole era was fun for me to be reminded of.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I hope you stick with it. It's one of my favorite books.
    I did finish it after all. It's very different from anything I've ever read - I read some reviews that called it a "romance" but it wasn't quite that. I think it would make an excellent movie - I'd like to see the characters brought to life on screen.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by M_shelll View Post
    I've checked for those Mira Grant books at my book store a couple times and they're always sold out, maybe i should just order them online since they're pretty slow to restock. I've been craving a good zombie book lately, the newest Jonathan Mayberry book was in time before last but I got something else instead and then it was sold out next time I went. I should know better by now that always seems to happen to me! I just finished Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk, it was definitely different than anything I'm used to but I liked it. I'm going to watch for more by him for sure! I'm reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo right now and I'm really enjoying it, so glad I was warned to get past the first 50 pages before I made any decisions about it...it was slow going off the start for sure.
    Maberry's Dead of Night was a good read and my husband liked his Rot And Ruin books even though they are considered Young Adult.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Maberry's Dead of Night was a good read and my husband liked his Rot And Ruin books even though they are considered Young Adult.
    I haven't seen the Rot and Ruin books yet, maybe I'll take a cruise through the YA section next time if the new ones not in, I've picked up a few really good surprises in there! I liked Dead of Night too, if you haven't already read Patient Zero and The King of Plagues they were pretty good as well, The King of Plagues kind of follows what happens after Patient Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by M_shelll View Post
    I haven't seen the Rot and Ruin books yet, maybe I'll take a cruise through the YA section next time if the new ones not in, I've picked up a few really good surprises in there! I liked Dead of Night too, if you haven't already read Patient Zero and The King of Plagues they were pretty good as well, The King of Plagues kind of follows what happens after Patient Zero.
    My husband swears by Patient Zero.
    M_shelll likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I agree....11/22/63 by Stephen King was great. And I loved how it ended. Don't like books that end up too contrived to make a "happy ending." This was just a perfect ending.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

I just started reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King and I already got sucked in.
    Jamie5632 likes this.

K, I've decided that I'm getting 11/22/63 next time I get to the book store! Lol I don't usually read a lot if Stephen King but you've all talked me into it with all these glowing reviews!

FORT Fogey

I talked my book club into reading 11/22/63 for our next meeting. It's a month away, and I cannot wait for everyone else in the club to hurry up and read it! I'm normally one of the women in our group who will get off track, talking about families, soccer leagues and what not. But for that book, I'm going to get really snippy if people want to get off track. There's just so much to talk about with it that I really hope we get to have a great and long discussion about it

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I went back to an oldie; but, a goodie recently - Enders Game - and found it just as good/addicting, as well as disturbing as before!

I started A Discovery of Witches (again) and though it took me a few chapters to get in to it - I can barely put it down now! I wouldn't say it's great literature; but, it's entertaining.

+ Reply to Thread