+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

I'm trying to make my way through Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close but am having a hard time getting into it. I want to keep going but I think it's too much chaos right before bed.

Has anyone read it and had the same problems or does it get better as you go on?
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I just finished World War Z. The military stuff got old for me...it started to feel like a History Television episode. I did like the premise - well, duh, I love zombies - but I should have loved this book and I just didn't. I will be very interested to see how the movie turns out, though. I like Brad Pitt's projects, although I think I was the only person alive who loved The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

I'm now reading Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. This one is also a little slow going for me. Wish I could find something to hold my attention.

BTW - welcome back, phat!
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

I just finished reading Stephen King's newsest book 11/22/63 and I absolutely loved it. I was so scared of a 1000 page book I almost didn't even try it. But my husband kept on telling me I'd read that many pages whether it was in one book or 3. I'm so glad he talked me in to it. The book is about a man travelling through time to prevent the Kennedy assasination but there is so much more to the story than that. I just loved everything about it and it didn't even feel like it was that long.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I just finished reading Stephen King's newsest book 11/22/63 and I absolutely loved it. I was so scared of a 1000 page book I almost didn't even try it. But my husband kept on telling me I'd read that many pages whether it was in one book or 3. I'm so glad he talked me in to it. The book is about a man travelling through time to prevent the Kennedy assasination but there is so much more to the story than that. I just loved everything about it and it didn't even feel like it was that long.
    I just picked this up on the weekend, I am so glad to hear you liked it! I got the audio version for my hubby
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Oh Fanny, I am so jealous of you just starting to get to know all those characters!

I had no idea it was such a BIG book.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I just finished World War Z. The military stuff got old for me...it started to feel like a History Television episode. I did like the premise - well, duh, I love zombies - but I should have loved this book and I just didn't. I will be very interested to see how the movie turns out, though. I like Brad Pitt's projects, although I think I was the only person alive who loved The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

I'm now reading Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. This one is also a little slow going for me. Wish I could find something to hold my attention.

BTW - welcome back, phat!
    If you're into zombies, check out Mira Grant's Newsflesh series. So far, she's written two books, but another is due to be released in June. The first book is Feed, followed by Deadline. Blackout will be the third in the series. I don't read a lot of books in this genre, but I thought these were fantastic. Imaginative and clever. Mira Grant: Newsflesh

After reading about 3 or 4 other books, I've gone back to The True Memoirs of Little K. It's not boring, but it's definitely not a fast read. Lots of expository info about Russia and the ballet. Very good, but it feels like it's taking forever to read and it's only around 370 pages. Depending on the author, that's an afternoon for me. I'm determined to finish the book because it really is very good, but I'm also remembering a week in February when I think I plowed through 5 books. *SIGH*
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    If you're into zombies, check out Mira Grant's Newsflesh series. So far, she's written two books, but another is due to be released in June. The first book is Feed, followed by Deadline. Blackout will be the third in the series. I don't read a lot of books in this genre, but I thought these were fantastic. Imaginative and clever. Mira Grant: Newsflesh
    Excellent, thank you. I just went and reserved Feed at the library.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Excellent, thank you. I just went and reserved Feed at the library.
    Cool! Let me know what you think. I REALLY like this author and she seems to be pretty unknown right now. I'm trying to spread the word! She also writes under her real name, Seanan McGuire. Her October Daye series is about an alternate faerie world in present day San Francisco. It's good too and totally different from the Mira Grant books.....except that they're both really creative and original.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm in the middle of As the World Dies, Untold Tales Vol. 1 by Rhiannon Frater. She has a fantastic zombie trilogy and this book is a collection of stories of background characters in her books and their experiences with the dead. Fantastic books in all.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread