+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'll be waiting for your review when you finish, Gut. I have it, but haven't read it yet.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

You know, it's really bad when you read a book and can't remember if you've read it or not. I turned a friend onto Tess Gerritsen a while back. She loaned me a few TG books and I decided I needed to get them read and back to her this week. I finished one - The Apprentice - just now and have the nagging feeling that I'd read it before. I'm about to start Body Double and am wondering if I've read that one too. I really should have kept track of these things. With thrillers/mysteries/crime books, they all seem to blend together. Maybe I only think I've read these books because all of the plots are vaguely similar.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'll be waiting for your review when you finish, Gut. I have it, but haven't read it yet.
    OMG - I LOVED this book! (The Night Circus) Magical, so be willing to suspend disbelief, leisurely pace, slow build of swirling, conflicting pressures. Characters you really come to care for. I cried at the end (well, not the END end, it wrapped up at the same pace). I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who loves to visualize a rich tapestry of events and settings as they read. I'm trying to imagine if it could possibly translate into a movie.
    cablejockey likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I'm so glad! I'll definitely move it to the head of the lineup

I've had to set The True Memoirs of Little K aside again because my book club meets next week and I need to get that book read. We're reading Jason Goodwin's The Bellini Card - 1840's Istanbul and Venice, art, intrigue, religion and political maneuvering, lots of fun!

Critical,

I love your cat and I love your new chair.
    Mys sister had a similar looking one back in the day..... It looks very retro.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I think I'm late to the party, but I just read Rob Lowe's autobiography Stories I Only Tell My Friends. I have to say, I was very impressed. He has a lot of self-awareness and insight into his past and why he did some of the things he did. He was pretty honest, and I came away from the book with a very different impression of him - in a good way.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

I'm reading a set by Molly Harper. It's a vampire series about a librarian who is mistaken for a deer and shot by the local drunk, discovered by a vampire and turned. It's a funny series with some great one liners. She's a trouble/mishap magnet (reminds me a little bit of Stephanie Plum) and is always finding herself in hilarious situations. The secondary characters are a hoot, too, especially the ghosts. I finished the 3rd one last night...just in time because the 4th one released today on Kindle. These books are laugh out loud funny.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I'll be looking forward to your final review, Critical.
    Jim Jones was actually highly regarded when he was still in the Bay area before he took all those people to Guyana and went whacko.
    The unfortunate thing is that so many of these whackos start off like h did. Then they turn into megalomaniacs and the problems begin. Very sad...
    I am in the process of reading it and it is fascinating. I remember a bit of the whole Guyana tragedy.... it amazes me how people can get taken in and then are stuck. He really came in like a wolf in sheeps clothing.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I am in the process of reading it and it is fascinating. I remember a bit of the whole Guyana tragedy.... it amazes me how people can get taken in and then are stuck. He really came in like a wolf in sheeps clothing.
    What I found so horrifying was that, by the time many of them realized they needed to get out, they were trapped. It's not like they could just walk away down there in the jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    What I found so horrifying was that, by the time many of them realized they needed to get out, they were trapped. It's not like they could just walk away down there in the jungle.
    Yes, their money was gone, their passports... and add to that the little food they ate and the all nighters he made them attend...
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread