+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy View Post
    As of today, The Snow Child has 23 5-star reviews on Amazon, where it's a selection for the best books of February. Almost all the reviews mention the compelling story and beautiful writing. Hope you enjoy it too!
    I stayed up pretty much all night reading and finished it this morning around 6:00. I'm exhausted, but I couldn't put it down! Thanks so much for mentioning it here! It was at the bottom of a pile of about 20 books, so it might have been a while before I got to it. This was a REALLY good one, guys!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Has anyone read "The Host" by Stephenie Myer? If so, I would love to hear any recommendations of other books that are similar. Thanks!

I read The Host when it first came out, but I can't think of anything that would be similar. Admittedly, it's a genre I don't delve to deeply into. I'm sure someone else will have some suggestions for you!

I'm reading Accidents of Providence by Stacia M. Brown. It's set in 17th century England and focuses on a woman who is accused of killing her own baby. It's feeling like it might turn into a detective mystery, but I'm not sure yet. I'm not finding it to be quite on the level of the last few things I've read, but I'm going to keep at it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I finished Accidents of Providence last night and it was just okay. Apparently, the author did doctoral work on 17th century martyrs and this book grew out of that. You could tell. It just wasn't the work of a natural fiction writer. It felt more like fiction used to tell the reader about history, if that makes sense.

I started The True Memoirs of Little K by Adrienne Sharp last night. It's the "memoir" of a ballerina during the last years of imperial Russia, including her affair with Tsar Nicolai II. The ballerina, nicknamed Little K, begins writing when she is 100. I've had the book for a while now, but it just started "calling" to me a few days ago.

This is one of the reviews quoted at Amazon:
    Exiled in Paris, the frail, elderly Mathilde Kschessinska sits down to write her memoirs. A lifetime ago, she was the vain, ambitious, impossibly charming prima ballerina assoluta of the tsar’s Russian Imperial Ballet in St. Petersburg. Kschessinska’s riveting storytelling soon thrusts us into a world lost to time: that great intersection of the Russian court and the Russian theater. Through Kschessinska’s memories of her own triumphs and defeats, we witness the stories that changed history, from the seething beginnings of revolution to the end of a grand, decadent way of life that belonged to the nineteenth century. Based on fact, The True Memoirs of Little K is “an engrossing tale of love, loss, and history” (The Wichita Eagle).

I am reading Sister by Rosamund Lupton. Its somethng different and compelling.
    Rosamund Lupton » Sister

Thanks, Critical, for your final review on the Jim Jones' book. It does sound fascinating.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome! It really was fascinating, although more than a little upsetting and really terrifying. All those people and so many children. Even those who wanted to get out couldn't do it because he had them so isolated. It's just heartbreaking. Still, totally worthwhile, I thought.

I took this picture to show people my new chair, but everyone seems to notice that big bunch of books in the background (they're what I'm currently trying to get through.) And also, how cute is my cat!? He's such a sweetie. That's actually three piles, not two...and then a box from Random House as well. There are more piles than that in other parts of the living room....and yet I keep getting more books! Pretty soon, I'll be able to build furniture out of books! Like I said, it's obnoxious. Then people come over and say something like "Wow, have you read all of those?" I used to say (joking) "Yep, just call me Evelyn Wood" but enough people said "Who?" because they were too young to know who she was and I found that depressing!

I'm really enjoying The True Memoirs of Little K. It combines two things I love - ballet and Imperial Russia! Of course, the Russian Revolution is coming....
    Last edited by Critical; 02-21-2012 at 02:48 AM.
    Jamie5632 and Cootie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Welcome! It really was fascinating, although more than a little upsetting and really terrifying. All those people and so many children. Even those who wanted to get out couldn't do it because he had them so isolated. It's just heartbreaking. Still, totally worthwhile, I thought.

I took this picture to show people my new chair, but everyone seems to notice that big bunch of books in the background (they're what I'm currently trying to get through.) And also, how cute is my cat!? He's such a sweetie. That's actually three piles, not two...and then a box from Random House as well. There are more piles than that in other parts of the living room....and yet I keep getting more books! Pretty soon, I'll be able to build furniture out of books! Like I said, it's obnoxious. Then people come over and say something like "Wow, have you read all of those?" I used to say (joking) "Yep, just call me Evelyn Wood" but enough people said "Who?" because they were too young to know who she was and I found that depressing!

I'm really enjoying The True Memoirs of Little K. It combines two things I love - ballet and Imperial Russia! Of course, the Russian Revolution is coming....
    Nice chair! Nice cat! Are you sure your cat doesn't live part time at my house? buddy2.jpg
    And so many books - what fun!
    Last edited by Cootie; 02-21-2012 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    Nice chair! Nice cat! Are you sure your cat doesn't live part time at my house? Attachment 28281
    And so many books - what fun!
    They must be triplets because I have a friend whose silver tabby looks just like my Oliver and yours too!

I'm listening to the audio book of The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It's really creative! Hoping for a happy ending, but I don't see how...
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread