+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished listening to Lisa See's Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. I recommend this historical fiction book. It's a look at Chinese women in the 19th century. Fascinating. I learned so much about a culture and customs that I didn't know very much about. It's for my book club next Tuesday, and I'm excited to discuss it.

I am in the middle of Tuesday Night Miracles by Kris Radish. I find it hard to put down! Tuesday Night Miracles - Kris Radish - Google Books

M_shell; I love James Rollins, and [U]Sandstorm[U] was his first novel that I read. As I read his books, I kept thinking about Indiana Jones, too. If my memory serves me correctly, I think I read somewhere that he wrote, or helped write, the screenplay for IJ and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls. I enjoy his fiction, but he definitely has a formula going with his antagonists, though not quite as pronounced as Dan Brown.
    M_shelll likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I cant find that in audio in our library. I will have to check again.I order a ton of them for my husband.Thank you
    the audio is quite good. It features some very interesting people... Carl Reiner, Mark Hamill, Henry Rollins... all do very well.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    the audio is quite good. It features some very interesting people... Carl Reiner, Mark Hamill, Henry Rollins... all do very well.
    I went back and had a little hunt around . and found a copy.I picked it up for DH. He goes through so many,I cant keep up. Interesting people is right

Thanks again

I finally finished Catherine the Great and loved it. I have another of Massie's books and haven't read it. I need to find it....

Now I'm reading Steven Gore's Act of Deceit. It's a detective story, sort of. It's about a retired cop who, after he makes a promise to a dying friend, finds himself drawn into a murder case from the 80's that was never solved. I've read Gore's previous two books and really enjoyed them. I also wanted to read something shorter (and totally different) than the last book I read!
    cablejockey likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    M_shell; I love James Rollins, and [U]Sandstorm[U] was his first novel that I read. As I read his books, I kept thinking about Indiana Jones, too. If my memory serves me correctly, I think I read somewhere that he wrote, or helped write, the screenplay for IJ and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls. I enjoy his fiction, but he definitely has a formula going with his antagonists, though not quite as pronounced as Dan Brown.
    Interesting to know that he was involved in Kingdom of the Crystal, I just googled it, wonder how the book is compared to the movie? I should watch my bookstore for it. The first book of his I read was Excavation and it was the most Indiana Jonesy of the 4 I've read so far, I was so hooked on it I would keep reading it all night after I got home. I like that he always uses a mix of characters from all over the world, but mostly they all have accents I can easily picture in my head ...and I like to read it with accents lol. I do feel like they can be a bit predictable and by the end I usually put together a bit more than I think I was supposed to, but for me the exciting part is the adventure anyways.

I completely agree! The adventures are always fun, and I enjoy the variety of characters. Have you read Ice Hunt? It was harder to get into in the beginning, but the ending of the book was possibly my favorite book ending of ALL time! Total karma!
    Last edited by 2boysmom; 02-10-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Additional info

No not yet, they have it at my bookstore tho. I always have such a hard time choosing which one I want to get each time, most of them sound so good. I'll look at picking up that one next!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    The librarian recommended First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones. It's sort of Stephanie Plum with a paranormal twist. I listened to it on audio book, enjoyed it, so I listened to the next one, Second Grave on the Left. By then I was really sucked in and asked if there was another. It was about to come out so I pre-ordered it on my Kindle. It arrived Jan. 31 and I tried to read it slowly to make it last longer, but I finished it last night. I highly recommend it if you like Stephanie Plum. Same sort of irreverant, plucky gal but with an added dimension. The new (third) one is Third Grave Dead Ahead. There will be more, but not soon enough!!!
    I'm on the waiting list for the first two books...the first book has been misplaced and the second book is overdue. I was able to get the third book. It sounds like a fun read and I'm hoping the other two books find the way back to the library.

I'm also reading Taken by Robert Crais. The Elvis Cole series. Private investigator Elvis Cole is investigating the disappearance of a girl who has been taken by bajadores. Of course his buddy Joe Pike will have to come to the rescue.

+ Reply to Thread