+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished Them or Us by David Moody, it was the third from the Hater / Dog Blood trilogy. It was my favourite of the series, I burned through it pretty quick not wanting to put it down! I would definitely recommend them, a bit violent but a very good read. I grabbed Intensity by Dean Koontz and am enjoying it so far ...I think I may have seen a movie based on this book (but not the one released in the 90s) a while ago, the first little bit that I've read it so similar, cannot for the life of me remember what the movie was called or what happened after the beginning ...or if I've seen such a movie!? Lol! I have Damned by Chuck Palahnik (the author of Fight Club) waiting for my next read, it was very highly recommended by 3 different people at the book store so I'm pretty excited to get to it. I think on my next trip to the book store I'll grab Deadline by Mira Grant, recommended by Critical above, I've seen it in the store a few times but always put it back for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by M_shelll View Post
    I just finished Them or Us by David Moody, it was the third from the Hater / Dog Blood trilogy. It was my favourite of the series, I burned through it pretty quick not wanting to put it down! I would definitely recommend them, a bit violent but a very good read. I grabbed Intensity by Dean Koontz and am enjoying it so far ...I think I may have seen a movie based on this book (but not the one released in the 90s) a while ago, the first little bit that I've read it so similar, cannot for the life of me remember what the movie was called or what happened after the beginning ...or if I've seen such a movie!? Lol! I have Damned by Chuck Palahnik (the author of Fight Club) waiting for my next read, it was very highly recommended by 3 different people at the book store so I'm pretty excited to get to it. I think on my next trip to the book store I'll grab Deadline by Mira Grant, recommended by Critical above, I've seen it in the store a few times but always put it back for something else.
    Make sure you get Feed first! It's a series and that's the first book
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I just finished Arcadia and OMG. Simply sublime. Just so beautifully written that I kept re-reading passages. I didn't want it to end. A gem.
    I appreciate your recommendations so I looked for it on Amazon and there are several books by that name. Could you throw me the author's name of the one you read?
    Count your blessings!

Whoops, sorry! I thought sure I gave her name. The author's name is Lauren Groff. The book isn't due to be released until March, though so it's a little bit of a wait. I hope you like it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I'll see if I can pre-order it... I'm not good at remembering things like that.
    Count your blessings!

I ordered used The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Dr. Laura Schlessinger. In the review it says that men want 3 As acceptance, achievement, and approval. When I read these things, I think of the population in general. Students want these things. I remember this when I speak. And of course I want these things. I accept myself, my strengths, my weaknesses. I need to remember trying to solve problems can create problems. Say my peace. Let God take care of everything else.

My goal for next year will be to read fiction.
    You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'll see if I can pre-order it... I'm not good at remembering things like that.
    I'm not either. I have at least 50 things saved in my cart at Amazon to remind myself of this or that book title. It's easier than bookmarking and I know I'll never find a little piece of paper where I wrote it down!
    Cootie likes this.

Even though I wasn't a fan of the show or Marcia Brady, I have been reading Maureen McCormick's book Here's The Story. I didn't realize she had been in show business so young, or what a dysfunctional family she came from. So far I have uncovered that Florence and Eve like to uncover, themselves, at times and Maureen had a crush on the actor playing her brother since the show started.
    An interesting look at that time and the impact the show had on so many.
    Here's The Story by Maureen McCormick

I remember being shocked at Maureen's family situation when she was on Celebrity Fit Club. You never would have guessed she'd had to deal with all of that, looking at Marcia Brady.

Well, I'm happy to report that Catherine the Great is fabulous! I'm about 220 pages in and can hardly put it down. It's not a fast read - lots of facts and details - but it's fascinating. I'll tell you, all the pearl-clutchers in 2012 would never be able to handle royals this scandalous!
    cablejockey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm not either. I have at least 50 things saved in my cart at Amazon to remind myself of this or that book title. It's easier than bookmarking and I know I'll never find a little piece of paper where I wrote it down!
    My little trick for keeping a list of books/movies/series/music that I may or may not want to purchase at some point in the future is to set up a draft e-mail that I update with new items that catch my attention or remove from as I purchase. The benefit to this is that I can update it from either work or home. The list currently sitting in my book draft is:

Desperate Romantics: The Private Lives of the Pre-Raphaelites - Franny Moyle
    My Boyfriend Wrote a Book About Me - Hilary Winston
    The book of Negroes
    The Death of Donna Whalen - Michael Winter
    Buried Prey - John Sandford
    The Arrivals - Meg Mitchell Moore
    The Five - Robert McCammon
    Keeping the House - Ellen Baker
    Red Hook Road - Ayelet Waldman
    The Reapers are the Angels - Alden Bell
    The Elegance of the Hedgehog
    Charles Jessold, Considered as a Murder - Wesley Stace
    City of Light (Buffalo)
    The Bitternest Chronicles
    Extensions - Myrna Day
    The Quiet Sound of Disappearing - Ryan Rayston
    Breaking and Entering - Eileen Pollack
    Stiffs: The Curious Lives of Cadavers
    Alias Grace - Margaret Attwood
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread