+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm listening to The Enemy by Lee Child. I'm enjoying it as I always do his books. It's so odd though since this one has been entirely set in the past. Most of them jump back and forth. I found his books when I was checking out Play-aways to listen to before I got my mp3 player and could get the audio cds. There aren't a lot of choices of Play-aways and so I found a few new authors that way. I started with book 5 because that was what was available. Then I went back to the beginning of the series and am working my way through them. Thankfully I started this series when there were several books already written!

I just finished Arcadia and OMG. Simply sublime. Just so beautifully written that I kept re-reading passages. I didn't want it to end. A gem.

I know I won't find anything that will equal Arcadia in quality of writing, so I'm going to do a 180 and read Lisa Jackson's Devious. It's a detective thriller set in New Orleans. I guess I'll be finding out if it's any good!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm reading the epilogue of Dancing with Dragons and figure I should download another book on my reader so I'm not stuck with nothing to read tomorrow. Unfortunately, nothing interests me right now. I've been reading Games of thrones for so long now and I don't want it to end...just like you all had told me.

I finally finished 11/22/63. It was fantastic! I couldn't put it down for the last 200 pages or so, I just had to know how it was going to end. And I wasn't disappointed.
    Jamie5632 and AZChristian like this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I finished Devious a while ago and, while it isn't going to win any awards, it kept my interest. I found her word choices distracting in a few instances - not necessarily wrong in most cases, just awkward.

I just started Robert K. Massie's biography Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman. A rep sent me a copy of Eva Stachniak's The Winter Palace, which is historical fiction about Catherine and I thought I should refresh my memory with some non-fiction first. It's been at least 10 years since I took Russian history and it's horrifying how much I've forgotten!

My brother is a HUGE Stephen King fan, so I'll have to pass on all the good reviews of the new one to him!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I just got Game of Thrones from the library yesterday. I'm excited to read it. Hopefully it lives up to all the hype! My daughter thought it looked interesting, she loves fantasy books, so I'll have to read quickly so that she can read it in my allotted time! She loved the picture of the author and thought he looked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    My cable and internet were down all day today, so I had lots of time to read! I finished Chris Cleave's Incendiary this afternoon. It was not a book I would say I loved, but I think it will stay with me for a while. In short, it's a letter to Osama Bin Laden written by a woman whose husband and son are killed in a terrorist bombing. She's a working class Brit and the book is written in her words, so the grammar isn't perfect, but it's very affecting.

Right now, I'm about 100 pages into The Help. Yes, I know. I'm like the last person in America to read it. What can I say? I tend to be suspicious of books that are really popular. I borrowed it from my mom and, so far, I'm enjoying it.
    If you are the last person to read The Help, I am the second to last person. I saw the movie and loved it, so I finally decided to read it (also our library copies had a zillion holds so it took awhile to get it). I really lvoed the book as well.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Because Catherine the Great is so darned heavy, I can't read it in bed. SO, I'm now also reading Heartless by Gail Carriger. A publishing rep sent it to me with the Mira Grant zombie book (which I asked for). It really almost defies description. This is the blurb from the back cover:
    Lady Alexia Maccon, soulless, is at it again, only this time the trouble is not her fault. When a mad ghost threatens the queen, Alexia is on the case, following a trail that leads her deep into her husband's past. Top that off with a sister who has joined the suffragette movement (shocking!), Madame Lefoux's latest mechanical invention, and a plague of zombie porcupines and Alexia barely has time to remember she happens to be eight months pregnant.

Will Alexia manage to determine who is trying to kill Queen Victoria before it is too late? Is it the vampires again or is there a traitor lurking about in wolf's clothing? And what, exactly, has taken up residence in Lord Akeldama's second best closet?
    I can't imagine how a book containing a plague of zombie porcupines couldn't be the greatest novel ever written. I'll let you know when I finish

Catherine the Great is FABULOUS by the way. Just as absorbing as any really great novel. It's not a quick read, but I love it!

I am Reading a Dean Koontz novel--One Door Away From Heaven. Very enjoyable and easy to immerse yourself into.
    Review - One Door Away from Heaven by Dean Koontz

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    I'm reading the epilogue of Dancing with Dragons and figure I should download another book on my reader so I'm not stuck with nothing to read tomorrow. Unfortunately, nothing interests me right now. I've been reading Games of thrones for so long now and I don't want it to end...just like you all had told me.
    Oh, this makes me feel better. I am about 200 pages into Dance with Dragons now and I am fretting about what to do next. It has taken me almost a month of reading every night to get through these books - and I have enjoyed them immensely. I need a new series to get into, so any suggestions welcome.

+ Reply to Thread