+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Bearcata, Out of the Eve Ducan trillogy, Bonnie was my favorite. Especially, the way her story was "hopefully" ended.
    Iris Johansen will have a new book out in April titled, What Doesn't Kill You. She picks up three of the character's from earlier books, Catherine Ling, her tutor Hu Chang, and John Gallo. I enjoy the way she moves her character's from book to book.

I'm reading Cat Telling Tales by Shirley Rousseau Murphey. I needed something light, after the Holidays
    I too like how she takes these characters and we see them fleshed out over several books but then when they are the main characters their story can stand alone but also add to the over all world of Iris Johansen. I do like how the author does acknowledge there is evil in the world and that there are people willing to acknowledge it and fight but also know that that is not all life offers. While much of her stories are straight forward I do like the twist of that there might be more in the world than our 5 senses can perceive and that the reader can either accept that the characters just have a unique way of seeing the world or accept that there is more in the world than we know or can explain.
    inthegarden likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

My cable and internet were down all day today, so I had lots of time to read! I finished Chris Cleave's Incendiary this afternoon. It was not a book I would say I loved, but I think it will stay with me for a while. In short, it's a letter to Osama Bin Laden written by a woman whose husband and son are killed in a terrorist bombing. She's a working class Brit and the book is written in her words, so the grammar isn't perfect, but it's very affecting.

Right now, I'm about 100 pages into The Help. Yes, I know. I'm like the last person in America to read it. What can I say? I tend to be suspicious of books that are really popular. I borrowed it from my mom and, so far, I'm enjoying it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by famita View Post
    Just finished "11/22/63" by S King. I...couldn't...put...it...down ! Loved that it really made you think about possibilities vs probabilities.
    I just finished it and wholeheartedly agree. GREAT book, probably because of what it made you think/wonder, etc.
    Wag more, bark less

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Right now, I'm about 100 pages into The Help. Yes, I know. I'm like the last person in America to read it. What can I say? I tend to be suspicious of books that are really popular. I borrowed it from my mom and, so far, I'm enjoying it.
    Not quite the last...I'm about 2/3 through it. I'm enjoying it as well, and plan to see the movie after I am finished reading.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Not quite the last...I'm about 2/3 through it. I'm enjoying it as well, and plan to see the movie after I am finished reading.
    I have you both beat! I have it, but haven't read it yet. I'm about 100 pages from finishing A Clash of Kings (which is the second book in GRRM A Song of Ice and Fire series) and I already have the third one downloaded. I can't see putting any of these down before I finish them, so I am still a few weeks off from reading The Help. Next on my list though, so I'll be interested to hear what you two thought.

Okay, so I'm the second to last one! I finished it in pretty much one sitting. I was up really late. I liked it a lot.

Now I'm reading Deadline by Mira Grant for a change of pace. This is the second in her series about the zombie apocalypse - the first book was Feed. I highly recommend the series for fans of the genre. She also writes under (what I think is) her real name, Seanan McGuire. I love her October Daye series, especially since it's set in San Francisco, a city I know quite well.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Now I'm the third to last to read it! Actually, I had the book awhile ago...tried reading it...enjoyed the author's writing but was at a time in my life, where I just didn't want to read about this subject. What I had read just made me sad what these women went through. While I've been recovering from my serious (almost dying) illness, I'm trying to fill my life with lots of happiness, joy and laughter. This book didn't supply that although there may come a time when I will read it.

I'm really looking forward to Stephen King's 11/22/63. I have downloaded it on my IPad to take on our trip to Australia/New Zealand next week. I have always been interested in the subject, read and listened to a lot of theories, to the point that I'm willing and able to say what we Americans were told was pure baloney. So I'm very interested in seeing what King says about it. Hope I like it. I wonder because I've heard he's extremely Liberal politically and I'm just the opposite, so we'll see. Have loved everything else he's written. I hope it's not just a celebrity soapbox lecture.

I knew you would, and the movie is very good.

I prefer to see the movie 1st, which is what I did with The Help. That way the extra information & more detailed characterizations in the books are even more appreciated.
    If I read the book 1st I tend to nitpick the movies for the differences & things left out.
    As wonderful as the Harry Potter movies are, I did that a lot. The books were just so wonderfully detailed & had characters (like the elves) who added to the story so much. Not to mention the differences. I find myself saying "It didn't happen like that!!!!!" a lot.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I am reading The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard. About a 16 year old girl who disappears on Halloween and how it affected the teen aged boys who knew her, for years to come. Its something different, but good to read.
    The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

+ Reply to Thread