+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I finally jumped on the bandwagon and starting reading Book 1 in the Game of Thrones series (A Song of Ice and Fire). I am definitely hooked! The good news for me - with 4 books ahead of me, at about 1000 pages a book, I should have some good reading for the next month!! Question though - there are SO MANY CHARACTERS that I am having a hard time remembering who is who! Please tell me this part gets easier as I go through the rest of the books!
    If you do an internet search on "characters in The Game of Thrones," you'll find lists. I needed to do that when I first started reading Harry Potter.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I'm re-reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Based on a recommendation from Gutmutter, I also ordered the other two in the series. I must say, the book is a lot easier to read when you've seen the movie and can visualize the characters to help keep them straight!!!!
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I just finished reading The Art of Racing in the Rain. Has anyone else read it? I don't usually go for sad books, and I found this one tremendously sad and infuriating, and yet funny and terribly sweet all at the same time.

I've finished the first two Hunger Games books and will start on the 3rd soon. My daughters loved the series, and now both want to be Katniss for next Halloween.
    The Art of Racing in the Rain is one of the few books I've ever put down mid-read. I didn't even make it to mid. The entertainment to sadness quotient wasn't high enough for me and I wasn't in a place where I wanted to put myself through that.
    I got my daughter the official Mockingjay pin reproduced from the movie prop for Christmas. She LOVED it.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    The Art of Racing in the Rain is one of the few books I've ever put down mid-read. I didn't even make it to mid. The entertainment to sadness quotient wasn't high enough for me and I wasn't in a place where I wanted to put myself through that.
    I got my daughter the official Mockingjay pin reproduced from the movie prop for Christmas. She LOVED it.
    I agree about the entertainment/sadness ratio in that book. I have young children and recently had a health scare that resulted in three very difficult and stressful weeks before Christmas. Luckily, everything is ok but I know now that reading about subject matter like that is too hard for me. I was in tears a lot of the way through the book. We do a 'battle of the books' type event at the Elementary school I work at (I am the library assistant, lucky me!). We include teachers and parents, one to two in each group of kids. The kids read the kids books and the adults read three books our librarian chooses. This was one, the other two are The Help and Sarah's Key. I know they are both sad too...what is up with these people picking sad books!!!!

I will be searching for the Mockingjay pin for sure, for Halloween. I might even get one for myself.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

The Help and Sarahs Key are both very good books though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    The Help and Sarahs Key are both very good books though.
    Thanks...I'm looking forward to reading The Help actually, but am still not sure about Sarah's Key.

I LOVED The Help, but Sarah's Key was just meh. The kicker comes right at the very beginning and then it never really builds up to much else. Even the "closure" at the end is weak. I don't think of The Help as sad. It's set in an unjust time when bad things happened, but they take control of their lives and choose brave actions. I would call it poignant.
    sweetpea likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    If you do an internet search on "characters in The Game of Thrones," you'll find lists. I needed to do that when I first started reading Harry Potter.
    I would advise a new reader to be VERY careful about those sites, because some give away future plot points. If you don't want to be spoiled, stick with the lists at the back of the book or tread lightly. I always have the first page of those appendices flagged in each book, so I can turn to them easily. Trust me, there are some things you DO NOT want to be spoiled about!

Yes, KM, it does get easier to keep everyone straight, although I still have to look people up sometimes and I read the books twice last year!

I finished a couple more books while I was visiting family, I blew through Betty White's last book (can't remember the name). Not a lot of substance really, but I love her and it was a very quick read.

I just finished Little Bee by Chris Cleave = SO well written and beautiful, but heartbreaking too. I'm now reading Cleave's Incendiary.

I read Sarah's Key a few months ago and I wasn't that impressed. I've described it to a few people (and in the movies forum here) as "Maeve Binchy Does the Holocaust." It felt a bit too much like chick lit in some places. I felt like maybe it was just too light a treatment (especially the present day stuff) of the subject. It's a rare thing when I think the movie was better than the book, but I think this might be one of those times. It is a very fast read though, so you wouldn't spend too much time on it if you did decide to read it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks, Critical. I'm actually reading it on the Kindle, which my husband "handed down" to me when he got the Fire for Christmas, so I haven't yet figured out how to skip around (or find the appendices in the back). But I will check it out. It is getting easier - at least the main characters.

Before I started that, I read Bossypants from Tina Fey and Cold Vengeance from Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Bossypants was good - if you like Tina Fey, you will enjoy it. Cold Vengeance is part of a series they write - about an FBI agent. Mystery type stories. The most well known in their series is Relic, which I believe was made into a movie. This is the second book in the current trilogy they are writing (the first being Fever Dream). The book iteself was good, but as is the case always with the second of a trilogy, it ended on a negative note and definitely set everything up for the third book. I'm sure once they are all out and the trilogy wraps up, it will be good. But I am not thrilled about books that end on a negative note when I have to wait for the story to wrap up. Doesn't bode well for Game of Thrones, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Thanks...I'm looking forward to reading The Help actually, but am still not sure about Sarah's Key.
    You will have to let us know . My friend and I read Sarah's Key at the same time, it led to quite a discussion.

+ Reply to Thread