+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I stayed up late and then woke up this morning and didn't get out of bed until I finished The World We Found. It was SO good! The writing was just beautiful. So, it's definitely two thumbs up!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    "Wench" by Dolen Perkins-Valdez

a startling and original fictional tale, based on an actual resort that was open for only four years.

Established in the mid 1800s, the Ohio-based Tawawa House was envisioned as a summer vacation destination for the country’s elite to relax and enjoy the mineral springs in the area. But what made this resort unusual was that it became a popular vacation destination for Southern slaveholders and their enslaved mistresses. Three of these women, regular visitors Lizzie, Reenie and Sweet, look forward to meeting up again every year for the opportunity to reconnect with each other and share the events of their lives
    I enjoyed this when I read it soon after "The Help".
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    You're going to love book 5, DR! SO much happens. I didn't want it to end! I just finished it for the second time and I had to restrain myself from starting the series all over again!
    I'm on the verge of starting it over myself - if I don't find anything to read pretty soon. Nothing else measures up.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

I just started Long Way Home by Bill Barich. It's the story of the author who, after being inspired by a reintroduction to Steinbeck's Travels With Charley, decides to travel across America by car, seeing what he can see. Based on the reviews, it seems like it will be more of a meditation on the state of the country and on Steinbeck. Not sure if it will be positive or negative or a bit of both.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I'm on a reading jag now that the holidays are over. I've read two books in two days and still have a week of vacation. I finished How to Paint a Dead Man (loved it), and read The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon, and The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan. I started a biography of Eleanor Roosevelt. I have such a backlog on my Kindle, I may not get out of my chair all week.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm on a reading jag now that the holidays are over. I've read two books in two days and still have a week of vacation. I finished How to Paint a Dead Man (loved it), and read The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon, and The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan. I started a biography of Eleanor Roosevelt. I have such a backlog on my Kindle, I may not get out of my chair all week.
    I was hoping you'd like it!

I've been reading as many of the books my mom got at the booksellers trade show that I didn't end up with as I can. I've read Illuminate by Aimee Agresti. YA fiction of the supernatural vein, which I usually avoid. Still, it was pretty good. I just find that many of those books trying to hop on that bandwagon are pretty horrid, whether they're YA or for adults.

Now I'm reading Upper Cut by Carrie White. It's a memoir written by a woman who basically became a hairdresser to the stars and who seems to have interacted from everyone from Ritchie Valens to Jack Nicholson to Cher and Sandra Bullock. Usually, I find celeb autobiographies pretty poorly written (see Florence Henderson bio above), but this one is really good. Well written and gossipy, but not in a mean way. I wasn't sure about it at first, but I'm really enjoying it.

ELEANOR ROOSEVELT’S LIFE OF SOUL SEARCHING AND SELF DISCOVERY From Depression and Betrayal to First Lady of the World By Ann Atkins

This is the book I'm currently reading as a Kindle special (free or nearly free). The writing style is a little college freshman term paper, but it has opened my eyes to want to read more about Eleanor Roosevelt. I hated history in school, with the focus on dates and names. It wasn't until I started reading novels with historical settings and fictionalized biographies of historical people that I started thirsting for a more personal approach to learning about history. I'd welcome recommendations of better books. I've gleaned that she wrote a book, "You Learn by Living" and am curious if her newspaper "blog" (My Day, or In My Day) has been made into a book. Time to search Amazon!
    I've also this week off, read: "The Story of Beautiful Girl", by Rachel Simon (thank you to whoever recommended that), "The Mill River Recluse" by Darcie Chan, "Blue Nude", by Elizabeth Rosner, and started dipping in "The Wisdom of Jane Austen", the Wisdom Series. Some were recommended here and some were Kindle specials.
    Count your blessings!

I finally jumped on the bandwagon and starting reading Book 1 in the Game of Thrones series (A Song of Ice and Fire). I am definitely hooked! The good news for me - with 4 books ahead of me, at about 1000 pages a book, I should have some good reading for the next month!! Question though - there are SO MANY CHARACTERS that I am having a hard time remembering who is who! Please tell me this part gets easier as I go through the rest of the books!

I just started The Adults by Alison Espach.

I just finished reading The Art of Racing in the Rain. Has anyone else read it? I don't usually go for sad books, and I found this one tremendously sad and infuriating, and yet funny and terribly sweet all at the same time.

I've finished the first two Hunger Games books and will start on the 3rd soon. My daughters loved the series, and now both want to be Katniss for next Halloween.

+ Reply to Thread