+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Critical, I use Adobe's digital reader too. Our local library is small and this gives me greater access to a larger selection of books.
    I'm reading The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks.

I'm reading Skippy Dies, and it is one of my least favourite things - a book that I don't love, but don't hate enough to stop, and is incredibly long (well, long for a book that I don't love). The tedium has lead to me bring an Ellery Queen digest with me to work today instead of the Kobo, so I think I am probably going to give up on it.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    I just finished the first 4 books in Song of Fire and Ice series (Games of thrones). I'm finally starting the 5th. I'm very late to this series, I haven't even watched Season 1 on HBO, but I mean to make up for it!
    You're going to love book 5, DR! SO much happens. I didn't want it to end! I just finished it for the second time and I had to restrain myself from starting the series all over again!

ITG - I'm not loving the Adobe Reader, but it's the only way I could get access to a few advance titles. I'm just old fashioned - I like paper!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    You're going to love book 5, DR! SO much happens. I didn't want it to end! I just finished it for the second time and I had to restrain myself from starting the series all over again!
    I second this!!!

I just started The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar. It's the story of four Indian women who were friends as young girls and who are brought back together when one of them is diagnosed with terminal cancer. So far it's not terribly sad (although I'm sure that's coming), but it is very well-written and a nice change from the stuff I've been reading lately.

I just got copies of Robert K. Massie's Catherine the Great and Michael Ondaatje's The Cat's Table. I'm looking forward to both!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I read The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. A very clever book. He uses pictures and words to tell the story. I plan on giving a copy to my niece for Christmas.
    I'm now reading The Litigators by John Grisham.
    inthegarden, have you read Selznick's newest book called Wonderstruck? It is written in the same form as Hugo Cabret. I have it sitting on my shelf and will read it soon.

I just finished Bless Your Heart Tramp and Other Southern Endearments by Celia Rivenbark. Laugh out loud funny and at points laughing so hard I had tears. I was trying to read some of it to my family and was laughing so hard it was hard to read it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    inthegarden, have you read Selznick's newest book called Wonderstruck? It is written in the same form as Hugo Cabret. I have it sitting on my shelf and will read it soon.
    I'm on the waiting list at the Library.
    Cootie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I just started The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar. It's the story of four Indian women who were friends as young girls and who are brought back together when one of them is diagnosed with terminal cancer. So far it's not terribly sad (although I'm sure that's coming), but it is very well-written and a nice change from the stuff I've been reading lately.
    I'm well into The World We Found now and it's a thumbs up! Just beautifully written and a quick read. I love reading books about people who are nothing like me on the surface, but after learning their stories, connecting with their emotions and thoughts, I find how similar we actually are. This one comes out in January and I definitely recommend it

Of course, if the whole thing goes downhill from page 120, I'll make sure to post about it

"Wench" by Dolen Perkins-Valdez

a startling and original fictional tale, based on an actual resort that was open for only four years.

Established in the mid 1800s, the Ohio-based Tawawa House was envisioned as a summer vacation destination for the country’s elite to relax and enjoy the mineral springs in the area. But what made this resort unusual was that it became a popular vacation destination for Southern slaveholders and their enslaved mistresses. Three of these women, regular visitors Lizzie, Reenie and Sweet, look forward to meeting up again every year for the opportunity to reconnect with each other and share the events of their lives
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread