+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 714 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110160560 ... LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by JyNx
    Anne Rice - the vampire lestat

Any anne rice fans?
    Oh yeah most definitely! I loved the Vampire series up to Queen of the Damned and then although I read all of the following books in it, they just didn't click with me like the first ones did. Now I much prefer the Mayfair Witch series...they definitely have me under their spell. Also, add me in with her Roquelaure writings fans, those were great steamy reads *phew!*, just a shame that she won't do those any longer.

With my re-reading habits I've read everything with the exceptions of The Feast For All Saints and The Mummy atleast 4 times. Those two I just had a very hard time getting into and they were lucky to get the once thru.

How funny, Charstar & Texie both just posted on Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich. I read that book a couple of years ago, myself! It's an excellent, surprisingly funny, but very enlightening book on minimum wage workers in America. That's one of those books I just recommend to everyone I know.

Well, coincidentally, I just picked up another book co-edited and with contributions by Barbara Ehrenreich called Global Woman: Nannies, Maids, and Sex Workers in the New Economy. It's a series of essays on globalization and the commodification of women's labor, with some real heartbreaking portraits of female working poor. I've not read all of it yet, but it is so far a much dryer, more academic affair than Nickel and Dimed. Still, I find it a thought-provoking and, I think, important work in this current climate of globalization and rampant third world exploitation. Heh, yeah that's the kind of book I take to read poolside in the summer.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I agree, Nickel and Dimed is a great read, and I totally recommend it. I know she's been given a lot of flack for it, but having been there and done that (Wal-Mart especially) with the low wage jobs, I applaud her. Oh, one more thing I noticed was the smoking. Cigarettes can be an expensive habit, how can those be afforded?
    Ludicrous speed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Has anyone else come across "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde? I've been wanting to recommend it and its sequels -- it's the first of a series -- but have been trying to figure out how to explain it. Because it's weird. I finally just had to copy a description off Amazon.com. Which doesn't really do the series justice; it's really quite funny and inventive, and I'd recommend it.
    Why did I just see this Lucy? I'm just getting ready to start on the second in the series. It's so unique and quirky, I really liked the first one. Why haven't we been talking about this?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    How funny, Charstar & Texie both just posted on Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich. I read that book a couple of years ago, myself! It's an excellent, surprisingly funny, but very enlightening book on minimum wage workers in America. That's one of those books I just recommend to everyone I know.

Well, coincidentally, I just picked up another book co-edited and with contributions by Barbara Ehrenreich called Global Woman: Nannies, Maids, and Sex Workers in the New Economy. It's a series of essays on globalization and the commodification of women's labor, with some real heartbreaking portraits of female working poor. I've not read all of it yet, but it is so far a much dryer, more academic affair than Nickel and Dimed. Still, I find it a thought-provoking and, I think, important work in this current climate of globalization and rampant third world exploitation. Heh, yeah that's the kind of book I take to read poolside in the summer.
    I'll have to look for that one. I really enjoyed Nickel and Dimed. Have you ever read Studs Terkel's On Working? It sounds a little like this one, except he focuses on all working class people, not just women.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Why did I just see this Lucy? I'm just getting ready to start on the second in the series. It's so unique and quirky, I really liked the first one. Why haven't we been talking about this?
    What?? How did we miss this? Oh, we are too much alike. You'll love the second one, it really sucked me in.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Okay, I know I am probably the only freak here who reads 1-2 books per week. This weeks selection is called Good in Bed. It is written by Jennifer Weiner, Probably the best book I have read in a long time. Funny, but heart-wrenching.

Quote Originally Posted by erin_dye
    Okay, I know I am probably the only freak here who reads 1-2 books per week. This weeks selection is called Good in Bed. It is written by Jennifer Weiner, Probably the best book I have read in a long time. Funny, but heart-wrenching.
    Please, Erin, you cut me to the quick. I can read a book a day if I'm not working, but what I've found over the years is that I enjoy it more if I slooow down a little.
    I just finished Ten Big Ones by Janet Evanovich. I love the Stephanie Plum series!
    I'm starting on The Rule of Four tonight, and when I'm through with that I'm going to look for the Jasper Fforde books to start them. My life is just so busy!
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Lets see, its summer, school is out, and I figure why not read, so I'm reading....

*Sweet Creek Holler*
    *Stepping on the Cracks*
    *The Notebook*~Nicholas Sparks (Just bought it tonight)
    ~*Tennessee Sweetheart*~

Well. I finished Good In Bed. I highly recommend it. Today, I am starting a book called She's Come Undone by Wally Leary. Has anybody read this? Is it any good?

+ Reply to Thread