+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I picked up a Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson the other day, I don't usually read anything from the Sci-Fi wall but the guy (I've enjoyed almost everything that he has recommended to me) that works there really sold me on it. It's along the same lines as Game of Thrones, which I really liked (the tv show) so thought I'd try branching out a bit and see how I liked it. I'm about 1/8 of the way through (it the first in the seriers, there's 10 books now) and so far it's alright, I was a little worried I'd hate it but it's definately growing on me. I also picked up Dead of Night by Jonathan Mayberry and The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga.

Has anyone read the Walking Dead novel yet? I wanted to get a copy for my sister as she's just started reading more zombie stuff lately and really liked World War Z and the other Max Brooks zombie stuff (I gave her the Monster Island/Nation/Planet series a few weeks ago but she hasn't said if she's started them yet). I want tomake sure it's good before I get it for her but I don't want to put my current book down till it's done, I really hate switching once I've started one!

I downloaded Never Knowing to my Kindle and oh boy. It's good but I had a nightmare after reading it last night that fit with the storyline.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Reading 11/22/63 by KING-cannot put it down!

FORT Regular

I just finished this memoir and loved it! We live in Chicago and remember well the publicity surrounding his battle with tongue cancer. "Life, on the Line: A Chef's Story of Chasing Greatness, Facing Death, and Redefining the Way We Eat" by Grant Achatz

I read The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. A very clever book. He uses pictures and words to tell the story. I plan on giving a copy to my niece for Christmas.
    I'm now reading The Litigators by John Grisham.

I'm reading a few books right now. Florence Henderson's autobiography Life is Not a Stage is proving to be interesting, but not terribly well written. It's a bit rambling and could have done with a good editor. Still, I like her and I always find other people's lives interesting, especially people I feel like I know.

I'm also reading an e-galley of The Lake by Banana Yoshimoto. This is my first time using Adobe's Digital Reader on my laptop. It's strange, but it was the only way I could get an advance copy of this book. It's got a 55 day limit, so I have to get it (and a few other e-galleys) read quickly! This is the marketing copy for The Lake:
    While The Lake shows off many of the features that have made Banana Yoshimoto famous—a cast of vivid and quirky characters, simple yet nuanced prose, a tight plot with an upbeat pace—it’s also one of the most darkly mysterious books she’s ever written.

It tells the tale of a young woman who moves to Tokyo after the death of her mother, hoping to get over her grief and start a career as a graphic artist. She finds herself spending too much time staring out her window, though ... until she realizes she’s gotten used to seeing a young man across the street staring out his window, too.

They eventually embark on a hesitant romance, until she learns that he has been the victim of some form of childhood trauma. Visiting two of his friends who live a monastic life beside a beautiful lake, she begins to piece together a series of clues that lead her to suspect his experience may have had something to do with a bizarre religious cult. . . .

With its echoes of the infamous, real-life Aum Shinrikyo cult (the group that released poison gas in the Tokyo subway system), The Lake unfolds as the most powerful novel Banana Yoshimoto has written. And as the two young lovers overcome their troubled past to discover hope in the beautiful solitude of the lake in the country- side, it’s also one of her most moving.
    ITG - we sold Hugo Cabret at a store where I worked a few years ago. It was a great seller. If I remember correctly, there wasn't too much text, so it was a pretty quick - and beautiful - read! I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.
    Last edited by Critical; 12-14-2011 at 05:42 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Not quite. I think the book is really good, though many don't, but "enjoying" it doesn't seem to be quite the right word. Like "enjoying" Web of Hate (white supremacists in Canada) wasn't the right word to describe that.
    How about fascinated?

I am reading another mystery by Arnaldur Indridason called Jar City. Its like an Icelandic Columbo without the bumbling. I like it more than I thought I would.
    Book Review: Jar City by Arnaldur Indridason

Just finished "11/22/63" by S King. I...couldn't...put...it...down ! Loved that it really made you think about possibilities vs probabilities.

I just finished the first 4 books in Song of Fire and Ice series (Games of thrones). I'm finally starting the 5th. I'm very late to this series, I haven't even watched Season 1 on HBO, but I mean to make up for it!

+ Reply to Thread