+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I get the best book ideas from you! This one's going straight onto my Kindle. I can tell I'll like it by your description. Thanks!
    You'll have to let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I didn't get to start reading it right away, but now I'm inhaling it and trying to slow myself down so it won't be over too soon. I'll recommend The Day Laid on the Altar by Adria Bernardi if you haven't read it before. Similar in some ways and one of my favorite books ever.
    Count your blessings!

Just started Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens. A Tense thriller of a woman who searches for her birth parents and unfortunately finds them.
    Review: Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens | Life … With Books

I am currently reading The Slap, which is a tremendously divisive book with wildly diverse reviews. As I was cycling to work, I was thinking about how to describe my reaction to the book, and "enjoying it" seems to be the wrong word in that every character is unutterably repulsive. So, what word (or phrase) would you use to describe an "enjoying it" sort of reaction to a non-comedic work (movie, book, television show) about awful people behaving in awful ways? I'm stumped.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    I am currently reading The Slap, which is a tremendously divisive book with wildly diverse reviews. As I was cycling to work, I was thinking about how to describe my reaction to the book, and "enjoying it" seems to be the wrong word in that every character is unutterably repulsive. So, what word (or phrase) would you use to describe an "enjoying it" sort of reaction to a non-comedic work (movie, book, television show) about awful people behaving in awful ways? I'm stumped.
    Do you mean in looking at a train wreck kind of way. You're appalled but can't look away? Or 'wow, those are some trashy people and I don't want to live like that but it's fun to be a voyeur' way?

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    Do you mean in looking at a train wreck kind of way. You're appalled but can't look away? Or 'wow, those are some trashy people and I don't want to live like that but it's fun to be a voyeur' way?
    Not quite. I think the book is really good, though many don't, but "enjoying" it doesn't seem to be quite the right word. Like "enjoying" Web of Hate (white supremacists in Canada) wasn't the right word to describe that.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Not quite. I think the book is really good, though many don't, but "enjoying" it doesn't seem to be quite the right word. Like "enjoying" Web of Hate (white supremacists in Canada) wasn't the right word to describe that.
    I don't have a word for you, but I think I know what you mean. I once read a fiction book about a woman going through and surviving domestic abuse. Of course the subject matter wasn't enjoyable. The book however was pretty well written and having experienced some of what the heroine went through I related to it on a visceral level it was therefore 'enjoyable' but not. The closest I came to a word for that book was 'compelling' and that is close but still not quite right.

I'm reading A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. So far I like it. I like these kind of history books in general which give things a different perspective. Though if one has strong political leanings or very firm beliefs on various things they may not like this book.

Wow, everyone seems to be re3ading some fairly heavy / serious books.
    I'm just reading Janet Evanovinch's Smoking Seventeen. Quite the opposite.
    Have to say, it sure does not seem like she wrote this one at all.
    Few laughs so far.
    Anyone else read this?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    Wow, everyone seems to be re3ading some fairly heavy / serious books.
    I'm just reading Janet Evanovinch's Smoking Seventeen. Quite the opposite.
    Have to say, it sure does not seem like she wrote this one at all.
    Few laughs so far.
    Anyone else read this?

I just finished reading Explosive Eighteen. I tend during the holidays to read some mind candy so not to find myself feeling down after reading some of the heavy book subjects out there.
    I liked Seventeen. I just thing she needs to make Steph pick a man and stop playing bumper card with the two of them. I love Ranger though so she needs to choose him,lol
    JavaJo likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread