+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm reading How to Paint a Dead Man by Sarah Hall for my book club. The story is told across 50 years through the viewpoints of 4 very different characters - a dying artist, a blind flower seller, a landscape painter and a curator. At first, it's not clear how they are connected, but the connections are gradually revealed. I'm trying to get it read quickly so it's out of the way before Thanksgiving, but it's so beautifully written that I find myself lingering.

I picked this title for the book club, so I'm crossing my fingers that everyone else is as taken with it as I am! It's never fun to pick a title that everyone ends up hating.
    I get the best book ideas from you! This one's going straight onto my Kindle. I can tell I'll like it by your description. Thanks!
    Count your blessings!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I haven't started it yet (still working on Girl With the Dragon Tattoo), but I just picked up 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It's huge. This one's going to take me a while.

It's been a long time since I read King, so I thought I'd give it a shot. He used to be one of my favorite writers.
    waywrd: I used to be a big King fan, too, but have boycotted him for over 10 years because I hated one of his book endings so much that it caused me to vow never to waste my time reading another of his books. However, I've always been interested in the Kennedy assassination, and decided to take a chance on 11/22/63. I'm over 75% into it (Kindle keeps me posted on my progress), and so far I'm REALLY liking it. This is my first really big Kindle read, and with every tap of the "next page" button, I'm liking the device more. And not having to wrestle an 800+ page book is good, too.

It's written in a style familiar to King readers . . . very comfortable with some occasional splashes of unexpected humor. And it's a fascinating concept.

I'll be interested to read your opinion after you've read it as well. Having seen the trailers for the Dragon Tattoo movie, I'm tempted to re-read it before the movie is released.
    cablejockey and waywyrd like this.

I just finished Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt, one of the finalists for the National Book Award in the Youth Division. It is set in 1968, Doug's family is a mess, he has reasons to be a failure, but survives through his creative outlook on life.

Now I am reading Hypothermia by Arnaldur Indridason. Its a mystery set in Iceland and I assume the author is from Iceland too. Since reading the Girl With The Dragon Tatoo, I have been interested in authors and stories from the northern countries--you just dont hear much about them! So far this story is good--no real action or blood spatter--but methodical and twisty.
    The Mystery Bookshelf: Hypothermia - Book Review

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    waywrd: I used to be a big King fan, too, but have boycotted him for over 10 years because I hated one of his book endings so much that it caused me to vow never to waste my time reading another of his books.
    Which one caused you to boycott him? I haven't read King in about 15 years. I used to tear through his books like crazy, but he lost me somewhere along the way.

Glad you're liking 11/22/63 so far! I've read good reviews, which is why I decided to give him another shot.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I love King's thought process and plot ideas, but most of the time, he loses me with all the rambling he does. He's hit or miss with me, although if I had to pick a favorite, it would be The Stand. I do have The Dome waiting on my Kindle. I've heard it's really good so I thought I'd give it a go but I have so much to read, it's not high on my list.

I'm reading The Leftovers now. So far, I like it well enough.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

The Stand was pretty amazing and I enjoyed that one as well. I used to read Stephen King until Pet Sematary. At that point, I was the mother of a 2 year old boy, the same age as the little boy in the story (Gage, I think his name was). It was too dark for me - I have read a few of his in the last few years, but usually feel too depressed when I am done reading them. I think that 22 years of focusing on children's literature has made me a little tender when it comes to dark and depressing storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Which one caused you to boycott him? I haven't read King in about 15 years. I used to tear through his books like crazy, but he lost me somewhere along the way.

Glad you're liking 11/22/63 so far! I've read good reviews, which is why I decided to give him another shot.
    It was "The Cell" . . . an interesting story right up to the end. Then I turned to the last page, and I absolutely HATED the way he ended it. I've heard of several other King fans who had the exact same reaction and stopped reading King after that.

Because of my age, I have clear memories of the Kennedy assassination, and have done a lot of reading about it since then. It's fascinating to be coming at it from a totally different point of view.

Stephen King - don't you DARE let us down!!!!!!

I'm reading 'To Myanmar with Love - a travel guide for the connoisseur' it's getting me so excited for my trip. Just learned that you can get handmade dresses with Burmese fabric! Now I am thinking of all of the outfits I want to order!!!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Someone asked me above why I had boycotted Stephen King for many years, and I replied:

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    It was "The Cell" . . . an interesting story right up to the end. Then I turned to the last page, and I absolutely HATED the way he ended it. I've heard of several other King fans who had the exact same reaction and stopped reading King after that.

Because of my age, I have clear memories of the Kennedy assassination, and have done a lot of reading about it since then. It's fascinating to be coming at it from a totally different point of view.

Stephen King - don't you DARE let us down!!!!!!
    I am happy to report that I just finished "11/22/63." Stephen has now fully redeemed himself. I LOVED the way the book ended. Interestingly, though, he credits his son (also a writer) with suggesting the ending, which Stephen says was better than the one he had originally written. Good job, son!
    cablejockey likes this.

+ Reply to Thread