+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Just finished listening to The Tiger's Wife. I listen in the car, so got behind when I was house-bound for 5 days after the storm. Interesting, and yet I'm not sure I'd recommend it. I'd love to hear what anyone else thought of it.
    Is that the one by Tea Obrecht (sp?)? I've heard good and bad about it, but haven't read it. Not sure it sounded like anything I'd be interested in. What didn't you like about it?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

There wasn't any actual storyline. It went back and forth between a woman's narrative and her grandfather. There were certain characters and stories from his past that she's interested in, but they're very far-fetched. She gnaws over them and makes a pilgrimage to his remote childhood home to get other people's perspectives about them.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    There wasn't any actual storyline. It went back and forth between a woman's narrative and her grandfather. There were certain characters and stories from his past that she's interested in, but they're very far-fetched. She gnaws over them and makes a pilgrimage to his remote childhood home to get other people's perspectives about them.
    I've read a few reviews about it and one mentioned that there's not really a story and that nothing happens. I heard the writing was good (not great), but it's hard to stick with a book that isn't beautifully written when there's no plot.

Of the books I got at the trade show, I've only read one and it took less than five minutes. I got a copy of Adam Mansbach's children's book for adults, Go the F*&^ to Sleep, and I have to say, it is freaking hilarious! I'm not even a parent and it made me laugh. The illustrations are actually quite beautiful, like a good children's book, and the first few lines of each page read like a children's book. After those few lines on each page, though, come the internal dialogue of the parent, just trying to get his kid to go to sleep. I got to hear Mansbach speak and he was so funny. He told some good stories about the evolution of the book, his press tour (Kathie Lee Gifford is a nutjob....like we needed confirmation!) and the fact that no one seems to realize that this isn't his first book. It wasn't until he was speaking that I realized that I actually have a signed copy of one of his previous books - Angry Black White Boy - because he did an event about 4 years ago at the museum where I used to work.

Anyway, it's definitley not for everyone, but I found it completely original and laugh out loud funny. At the event where I heard Mansbach speak, there would be random laughter from the audience and you knew that person was reading the book.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Fort Member

Harlan Coban is probably one of favourite writers and Myron Bolitar is definatly my favourite detective but I was quite sad after reading Live Wire as everything had changed and it was all so sad and you knew that it was probably the end for a while.
    So I was so excited when I saw Sheltered in the book shop on Friday, but when I saw it was a Mickey Bolitar, novel I was a tad confused. So I read it over the weekend
    Now I am even sadder, although some of the characters are funny and interesting, it is almost like he has taken the adult characters he had in the Mylon books and tried to make them teenagers for Mickey to have,the character Mickey is not as likeable as Myron and I miss Myron so much, the little bits he was in were not enough.
    I am not sure where this book should be as it is not really aimed at adults as the hero is just a teenager but it is little violent, and has a few adult concecpts (drugs, prostitution, strip clubs) so I think it is just as confused as I am.

Double Dexter. A new Dexter book is always a treat ( to my daughter for getting it for me for my birthday). Jeff Lindsay is totally twisted, but in such a fun way...wish he had more input in the writing for the TV series.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I am in the middle of Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson. About a woman who wakes up every morning not remembering her past, all her memories wiped everytime she goes to sleep. She keeps a journal to read every day to help her memories, and has to remember over and over again the same stuff! At the same time she lives with her husband who with the more she remembers, seems to be hiding a lot.
    BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP by S. J. WatsonKirkus Book Reviews

I'm reading Mockingjay the third in the Hunger Games trilogy. Once I finish it I'll venture into that thread. I don't want spoilers so am staying away for now.
    Cootie likes this.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    I'm reading Mockingjay the third in the Hunger Games trilogy. Once I finish it I'll venture into that thread. I don't want spoilers so am staying away for now.
    Ooh, I can't wait to hear what you think of it!!

I'm reading How to Paint a Dead Man by Sarah Hall for my book club. The story is told across 50 years through the viewpoints of 4 very different characters - a dying artist, a blind flower seller, a landscape painter and a curator. At first, it's not clear how they are connected, but the connections are gradually revealed. I'm trying to get it read quickly so it's out of the way before Thanksgiving, but it's so beautifully written that I find myself lingering.

I picked this title for the book club, so I'm crossing my fingers that everyone else is as taken with it as I am! It's never fun to pick a title that everyone ends up hating.

I haven't started it yet (still working on Girl With the Dragon Tattoo), but I just picked up 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It's huge. This one's going to take me a while.

It's been a long time since I read King, so I thought I'd give it a shot. He used to be one of my favorite writers.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread