+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished "If I Stay" by Gayle Forman and "All the Broken Pieces" by Ann E. Burg. Choked up in parts of both. Both are YA's and I would recommend them if you haven't read them yet! Am onto The Amulet of Samarkand - this is the second time I've read this one but it has been a number of years - so much repetitive writing contained and it is making me restless. But I have to read it for school, so will stick to it.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I reread three John Sandford books this weekend--Winter Prey, Night Prey, and Mind Prey. I just noticed recently that I missed getting a bunch of books in the series so I plan to get them soon. I'm going to be having surgery and will have 3 weeks off from work so it will be good to have new books to read.

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2 View Post
    I just started The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I finished the first book (The Hunger Games) in a day. It's an easy read (since it's a teen book) but it's also really, really good. I'm hooked! I can't wait for the next book; but at the same time, I need to sleep tonight, so I will probably wait to start it.
    I also recently read this series. I started with The Hunger Games on Friday night - finished it Saturday. Started Catching Fire Saturday and finished it Sunday. Started Mockingjay and just finished that one last night. Guess you could say I enjoyed them!
    Cootie likes this.

I'm listening to The Tiger's Wife in my car. I'm enjoying it, but it doesn't really have a storyline. I could stop now, halfway through, and not feel I was missing anything.
    Count your blessings!

For some reason lately I have noticed that several authors I really like have been doing these trilogies and they seem totally unnecessary. I think because these authors are popular their publishers are pushing them to do this just for monetary reasons.

Iris Johansen's; Quinn, Bonnie and Eve books. Was it really necessary to have a book based on Joe's point of view of a story we already know. I felt that I had been ripped off by being sold a book I had already read.

What started all this for me any way was Kelley Armstrong's Waking the Witch. Finally, Savannah's story. I think fans of her Other World stories have been waiting for this book for a very long time. I must admit this is the first book by this author I hated. I didn't like the main character, hated the story and at the end of the book nothing was resolved, it was unfinished. Then to find out it was the first of a trilogy. This author does not do trilogies and neither does Iris Johansen. I just felt that the publisher/author had stolen my money. Then the second book came out, Spellbound and it was much, much better that Waking the Witch, I felt that the series was redeemed.

Kelley Armstrong also has a young adult series also set in her Other World called "The Gathering" about a young shifter who does not know she is a shifter and no she is not a wolf. Interesting concept seeing how a family lives working for a Cabal. But this particular series is set up as a trilogy and the books can also stand alone. But I knew this going in as opposed to the Savannah books.

Long story short, publishers do not screw with your loyal fan base.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I also recently read this series. I started with The Hunger Games on Friday night - finished it Saturday. Started Catching Fire Saturday and finished it Sunday. Started Mockingjay and just finished that one last night. Guess you could say I enjoyed them!
    I take it you are going to see the movie?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I take it you are going to see the movie?
    Yes, in fact it was a chosen book for our book club for our January meeting. We decided to move it back to March so if anyone wanted to tie it into the movie, we could.

Next book for me is the Steve Jobs biography. I am very interested to read it, as the author wrote the book with Steve Jobs' cooperation and it is not all sugar and sweet. For some reason, I am very interested to better understand the man.
    Cootie likes this.

I've moved onto A Feast for Crows in the Song of Ice and Fire series. It's really my least favorite of the series, but I'm making myself really pay attention, because I know Martin wouldn't spend so much time on these other characters if they weren't going to be important down the line.

I returned from my annual trade show trip with dozens of new books, so I should be posting reviews of some of them soon....as soon as I get through about 1600 more pages of GRRM!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just finished reading The Hunger Games. I think there is a thread, but I don't want to be spoiled since I've only read the first book. What a page turner, read it all in one day.

Just finished listening to The Tiger's Wife. I listen in the car, so got behind when I was house-bound for 5 days after the storm. Interesting, and yet I'm not sure I'd recommend it. I'd love to hear what anyone else thought of it.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread