+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I finished the book late last night. I absolutely loved it, although I think it's one of those books I'm going to need to read twice because I'm sure I missed little things along the way. I hope those of you who choose to read it enjoy it as much as I did.
    Can't wait for my copy to arrive!

I finished The Forgery of Venus () and now I'm about 350 pages into A Storm of Swords. I'm catching so many things that I missed the last time I read it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just finished Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. My daughter really liked it, but I wasn't as enthralled. I haven't been reading much because the same daughter also got me turned on to the Showtime series, Dexter and I've watched all 5 seasons in the last month or so.
    Count your blessings!

Gut, a friend loaned me Sarah's Key a while back and I thought it was okay. I described it to someone as "Maeve Binchy Does the Holocaust." I knew it would be a fast read - I read it in an afternoon - which is why I wouldn't buy it. I didn't hate it or anything, but I thought it was a little too precious, if that makes sense.

I'm glad you're enjoying Dexter! It's one of my favorite shows!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I just started The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I finished the first book (The Hunger Games) in a day. It's an easy read (since it's a teen book) but it's also really, really good. I'm hooked! I can't wait for the next book; but at the same time, I need to sleep tonight, so I will probably wait to start it.
    Cootie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2 View Post
    I just started The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I finished the first book (The Hunger Games) in a day. It's an easy read (since it's a teen book) but it's also really, really good. I'm hooked! I can't wait for the next book; but at the same time, I need to sleep tonight, so I will probably wait to start it.
    I got this on a deal with my nook, so I'll be reading it soon. Seems everything I hear/read about it is how good it is. I first need to read the books I got from the library though

I've recently just finished two of Jen Lancaster's books. They make me laugh out loud. I listen to them while I work and it sure did make dusting and vacuuming those client's houses much easier. My Fair Lazy is the one I just finished and since it's about reality tv watching I related to it, but reading her stuff makes me happy to know there are other people just as snarky as me.

My copy of The Night Circus, along with copies of the new Van Gogh biography from Naifen and White and Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I can't wait to get to all of them.....AFTER I finish A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows AND A Dance With Dragons....so only a few thousand more pages! Those books are like a roller coaster. Once you get on with book one, you can't get back off until you finish them all!

Right now, I am currently reading Stay With Me by Paul Griffin. I just picked up this book a week ago and can hardly put it down because I believe that it is that good.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Anyone read "A Discovery of Witches"? .
    It's sitting on my shelf - will be my next read (after I finish Mockingjay, the 3rd of the Hunger Games trilogy)

I am in the middle of Columbine by Dave Cullen. I thought I knew all there was to know about the shocking school shootings of 1999, but this book revealed there was more than what we saw and read in the media. Plus a better understanding of what motivated the killers.
    Book Review - 'Columbine,' by Dave Cullen - Review - NYTimes.com

CCL

I was meant to start The Night Circus next but instead I've started a book about the history of chocolate making in Britain - I think it is called The Chocolate Wars. It is written by a member of the Cadbury family. It's interesting thus far- I didn't know chocolate in the beginning was mostly drunk ( it was considered a health drink) and that all the British chocolate companies that developed in the 19th century were founded by Quakers.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread