+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fanatic

Re: What are you reading?

Just finished a local interest book (houston) called Monster in River Oaks, about the Exxon heiress, whose family and life was taken over by a true monster. True story, trial ended in 2008. Just amazing!

Now I'm reading One Summer, by David Baldacci, so far, so good.
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

One of the things I love about the booksellers trade show I attend in the fall is that, by and large, the books I get are from authors who aren't as well known and many of the titles are ones that would be great for book clubs. I've gotten so many great books that then become big hits a year or two later. I love "finding" new writers too and many of them are ones I would never find if I were in a local bookstore.
    I enjoy your book reviews and recommendations on books that I would not have known about or read.

I finished reading life on the refrigerator door : notes between a mother and daughter by Alice Kuipers. A story told by notes that a single mother and her 15 year old daughter write and post to each other on the refrigerator door. It is a story about cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I enjoy your book reviews and recommendations on books that I would not have known about or read.

I finished reading life on the refrigerator door : notes between a mother and daughter by Alice Kuipers. A story told by notes that a single mother and her 15 year old daughter write and post to each other on the refrigerator door. It is a story about cancer.
    Thanks! I'm glad they're helpful!

Here comes another one! I just started The Storyteller of Marrakesh by Joydeep Roy-Bhattarcharya this afternoon. This is the write up from Booklist:
    Hassan, a storyteller in Marrakesh’s Djemaa al Fna, annually retells the story of a young foreign couple who appeared in the Djemaa, captured the attention of habituťs, and then disappeared. Or did they? Regular listeners interject their own memories, and these conflict wildly. Some describe a luminously beautiful young woman in traditional Moroccan djellaba and headscarf, others remember her in jeans and t-shirt, garishly made up. Were they abducted by thugs? Signs and portents of danger on the fateful day are recounted: a red moon and a red lightning bolt. The book’s ultimate focus is on the love, beauty, and elusive nature of truth, but it also works as a broad, discursive, plausible, and often beguiling presentation of a contemporary Islamic culture little changed by centuries, geopolitics, globalization, or religious enmity. Roy-Battacharya’s descriptive powers are acute, and Marrakesh, the Djemaa, the Sahara, and the High Atlas Mountains are vividly rendered through all the senses.
    It didn't get great reviews across the board, but I'm enjoying it so far.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just finished Save Me by Lisa Scottoline. She's hit or miss with me but this one was definitely a hit.

Hardly Knew Her by Laura Lippman was......interesting. Short stories that were pretty dark and some were disturbing but I enjoyed it. Don't know what that says about me.....
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

Here comes another one! I just started The Storyteller of Marrakesh by Joydeep Roy-Bhattarcharya this afternoon.
    It didn't get great reviews across the board, but I'm enjoying it so far.
    Yeah, so that didn't last long. I finally put this one down. It just didn't end up pulling me in. I quit after 50 pages.

Now I'm reading The Anatomy of Ghosts by Andrew Taylor.
    Set in England in 1786, this masterful thriller from British author Taylor (Bleeding Heart Square) opens on a tragic note. In the months since London bookseller John Holdsworth's little son, Georgie, slipped into the Thames and hit his head against a coal barge with fatal results, Holdsworth's grief-stricken wife, Maria, has repeatedly visited the site of the boy's death. Until her own untimely death, Maria spends most of her days with a woman who relays messages from Georgie from the beyond. At loose ends, Holdsworth, who's written a treatise debunking ghost sightings, accepts an assignment from Lady Anne Oldershaw in Cambridge to prove to her son, a Jerusalem College student who claims to have seen a ghost, that he's suffering from a delusion.
    It's nearly 500 pages long, but the type is HUGE. I thought it was a young adult title the type is so big, but it's not. Big type = quick read, at least in the number of pages I can get through! It's too early to give any kind of review, but I like the premise.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Fort Member

I have fallen in love with a 73 year old Lao reluctant Coroner called Siri he is funny, smart and caring and purely fictional just as most fantasic men are

Discovered a set of books written by Colin Catterill and as they were only $12 each I brought all four. Now I can not put them down, I finished the first one in two days but would have done it in one if I had not had to sleep

They are set in 1970's Laos but you dont need to know anything about the place to get the jist of the books but knowing there was a war probably helps a bit, they do explain the political climate and other such stuff so you can get the idea but they are very well written and just really great reads especially for mystery/crime buffs who wants their hero to have a sense of humor

I just started an old book of Joyce Carol Oates' - Solstice.
    Fell asleep the outher night when starting it, so I can't really comment yet.
    But, seeing as I love all things JCO, I'm sure I'll enjoy this one, too.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Anybody reading The Night Circus?
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.

CCL

No, is it any good? iTunes was giving it as a free download a couple of weeks back but it was only for Americans (aarggh).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I'm enjoying it. I don't even know how to describe it...the first part is a little vague....but she gives you enough to really intrigue you and draw you in. I just started part II so I'll keep you posted.

+ Reply to Thread