+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm about halfway through The Portland Vase and it's REALLY good! I only had a few days to read it - my book club meets tomorrow night - and I was worried I might not finish, but I'm probably going to finish it tonight.

Basically, it's the story of all the people who came into contact with the vase - it's now in the British Museum - from collectors to connoisseurs, including popes, artists, poets, aristocracy and eccentrics (which could really describe most of the people in the book!). The author has a really nice, conversational style. It's academic, but not dry at all.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm about halfway through The Portland Vase and it's REALLY good! I only had a few days to read it...
    Woman, you could read ten books in the time it takes me to get through one. You're the queen of the power readers!

I finished the second book of The Hunger Games series...not as engrossing as the first, but good enough to keep me interested for the third. I'm staying out of the Hunger Games thread so I won't spoil myself...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    While the power was out - nearly 17 hours - I read SAVING CEECEE HONEYCUTT by Beth Hoffman. It's a quick read that makes you cry periodically, but I enjoyed it. Unfortunately, it's the one and only thing Ms Hoffman has written. Was hoping there would be more.
    I downloaded it to Adobe reader on my computer and am enjoying it so far. As you said, Little Sew&Sew, it's a quick read... I'm halfway through it this evening. I've been wanting to get either the Kindle or Nook for a while but so far have enjoyed using the computer to read, which saves me a trip to the library. The bad thing is that there is a really, really long waiting list online for the really 'hot' books. I am still waiting for The Help. I think I am #182 on the waiting list. Probably would be better off just buying it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And your money would be well spent! Guaranteed!

I checked it out from the library and, after that, I bought it!
    sparklete likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm glad you guys are reading CeeCee Honeycutt! I really liked it too. Sometimes, all I want is a nice, quick read and that definitely fit the bill.

I finished The Portland Vase in time for my book club discussion (yay me!) and really enjoyed it. The whole book club agreed that the writing style was fun and it made us want to learn more. I was just pleased that I finished the book - I didn't finish the last two selections!

Now I'm back to Minding Ben, which is good, but not great. I have a feeling it may end happily, but there may be a lot of hardship for the main character (some of which will make my blood boil, because I know people actually treat other people that way) before the end.

One of the things I love about the booksellers trade show I attend in the fall is that, by and large, the books I get are from authors who aren't as well known and many of the titles are ones that would be great for book clubs. I've gotten so many great books that then become big hits a year or two later. I love "finding" new writers too and many of them are ones I would never find if I were in a local bookstore.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm about halfway though Elizabeth Rosner's Blue Nude. Here's the write up from Booklist:
    The writing is lovely and the story is compelling. Plus, it's art-focused, which is always good for me! It's one I got at a trade show last fall and I'm trying to get through as many from that show as possible before this year's trade show, where I'll get a whole new pile of books.
    Thank you so much for recommending this! I downloaded it onto my Kindle right away, but with school starting, I didn't have time to start reading it. I have a long weekend now and am just starting it, but boy! is it bringing back memories of life drawing classes.
    Avatar changed to honor the book.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 09-03-2011 at 12:01 PM.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Thank you so much for recommending this! I downloaded it onto my Kindle right away, but with school starting, I didn't have time to start reading it. I have a long weekend now and am just starting it, but boy! is it bringing back memories of life drawing classes.
    Avatar changed to honor the book.
    Gut, you also might enjoy Live Nude Girl: My Life as an Object by Kathleen Rooney. It's non-fiction written by a woman who works/has worked as an artists' model. The book is about her job and her experiences. Very interesting stuff for artists and art enthusiasts!
    Last edited by Critical; 09-03-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Grammar. Sheesh.

Darn! It wasn't available on Kindle, but I ordered the dead tree version. Thanks.
    Count your blessings!

Mondo Zombie, an anthology of, you guessed it, zombie stories. Hardcore splatterpunk, not for the faint of heart.

Next is a complete change of pace - Anita Diamant's Last Days of Dogtown.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I have almost finished The Book of Names by Jill Gregory and Karen Tintori. Its fast paced and has an interresting premise--36 righteous people are born into each generation. They hold the fate of the world in their hands and now evil people want to find and kill them!
    The Book of Names by Jill Gregory :: Reader Store

+ Reply to Thread