+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished reading One Summer by David Baldacci. Such a different book from what he normally writes.

Now I'm reading The Silver Boat by Luanne Rice.
    When I read her books, I want to pack up, move to the East Coast live in a small sea side cottage and paint.

Next is The Story of Charlotte's Web: E.B. White's eccentric life in Nature and the birth of an American Classic by Michael Sims.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 08-27-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

While the power was out - nearly 17 hours - I read SAVING CEECEE HONEYCUTT by Beth Hoffman. It's a quick read that makes you cry periodically, but I enjoyed it. Unfortunately, it's the one and only thing Ms Hoffman has written. Was hoping there would be more.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I haven't been to this thread for a long time. I enjoyed reviewing your reads for the last few months! I just finished the Hunger Games trilogy - both my daughter and I loved those books. Before that I read 3 of the 4 books from The City of Ember series (skipped The Prophet of Yonwood as it wasn't available on audio and was on road trips while "reading"). Am now reading Betrayal of Trust by J.A. Jance, the latest Beaumont book set in Washington state. I am back to work at my elementary school library now, but will try and sneak in some more grown up books from time to time. I have "The Help" waiting on my shelf along with "Bossypants" by Tina Fey and a non-fiction book called "The Big Thirst: The Secret Life and Turbulent Future of Water" by Charles Fishman.

For anybody that liked the Twilight series, for a more adult (a bit erotic), series, the Black Dagger Brotherhood is a good one. I have read the first 6 books.

I have started so many series, that I jump between them. Right now, I am on the 3rd book in the In Death series (Immortal in Death).

I read the first 2 books in the Hunger games series and started the 3rd, but got a bit bored, so I will go back to it.

I have lots of free kindle books downloaded, so I try to throw one of those in the mix throughout the series books.
    Last edited by crzndeb; 08-29-2011 at 11:30 PM.

I'm in the middle of Minding Ben by Victoria Brown. It's the story of a young woman who moves from Trinidad to NYC and instead of going to college, she finds herself working as the live-in nanny and maid (see: slave) to a wealthy couple. It started out more light-hearted, but I think it's going to get grittier as the story progresses.

I have to put that one down for a few days to read The Portland Vase by Robin Brooks for my book club. It's basically the biography of a vase that it over 2,000 years old as it changes hands and eventually ends up in the British Museum. I have to get it read by Thursday, so it's going to be a rush job!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Bloody Women by Helen Fitzgerald. Dark, gritty and disturbing with a wicked sense of humour. She's definitely not for the faint-hearted, but I love her blend of chick noir and crime and her bizarrely hardcore yet strangely endearing female characters. Her latest novel, The Donor, is equally great.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I picked up "The Help" this weekend and have 5 chapters left. I want to finish the book before I see the movie. How close to the book is the movie?

I just finished My Boyfriend Wrote A Book About Me by Hilary Winston. She is a writer on Community, and used to write for My Name is Earl. Basically jist of the story is after she broke up with a longtime boyfriend, he wrote a fiction book that was generally based on their relationship. The story is a non-fiction account of the relationships before and after this long-term relationship. My friend recommended it saying it was really funny. I think she and I have very different definitions of funny because I just thought it was tragically sad. She basically had terrible self-esteem, so she dated all these losers who used her.

Quote Originally Posted by tapper01 View Post
    I picked up "The Help" this weekend and have 5 chapters left. I want to finish the book before I see the movie. How close to the book is the movie?
    The movie follows the book pretty closely. Mostly where it veers is for time. The main big one I can think of is Constantine's story which is different.

Right now I'm reading Catcher in the Rye for book club. I'm about halfway through and I must say I'm having a hard time figuring out why this is considered a classic.

I just finished The Help and really really liked it. I'm pretty excited for the movie but don't really think it will be as good as the book just cause the book was super good and movies don't usually compare to the book. I went to the bookstore at lunch today to pick up a new book and they were having a sale ...so I got 4! lol! Its going to be a hard to pick what I want to start with on the way home today! I got I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore, it looked interesting for sure; Paitent Zero by Jonathan Maberry, another zombie novel; Subterranean by James Rollins, I read one his books a while ago and really liked it so I thought I would try another one from him and The Book of Awesome by Neil Pasricha. I got this one for a friend for helping me paint the music studio in my basement and the girl at the checkout said it was really good so I'm going to have to borrow it from her when shes done! lol! ...so I should be good to go for a few weeks now.

+ Reply to Thread