+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm about to start the latest Michael Connelly - The Fifth Witness.
    Can't wait. Love Connelly.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Anyone read "A Discovery of Witches"?
    It's sitting on my shelf - next in line after I finish Dance with Dragons.

I'm about halfway though Elizabeth Rosner's Blue Nude. Here's the write up from Booklist:
    The Holocaust and its aftermath continue to influence Rosner's work, as she follows her lyrical debut, Speed of Light (2001), with a haunting portrait of individuals tormented by their past. Told from the point of view of three protagonists--siblings Danzig and Margot, children of a Nazi official, and Merav, an Israeli soldier and granddaughter of a Holocaust survivor--Rosner shifts from contemporary San Francisco to postwar Germany as she tantalizingly reveals each character's psychic wounds. Their physical worlds collide when Merav models for Danzig's art students. Once an acclaimed artist, Danzig hasn't produced a painting in years, his creativity unfulfilled as he relives the childhood horror of his sister's suicide. Yet there's something about Merav's ephemeral beauty and transcendental reticence that touches his soul, though Merav is reluctant to open herself to Danzig's tortured anxiety. In a restrained yet elegiacal voice, Rosner explores the power of memory and the providence of art to amplify and alleviate human suffering.
    The writing is lovely and the story is compelling. Plus, it's art-focused, which is always good for me! It's one I got at a trade show last fall and I'm trying to get through as many from that show as possible before this year's trade show, where I'll get a whole new pile of books.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I am currently reading Sense and sensibility by Jane Austen
    It's nice!

Autumnhttp://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forums/images/smilies/yellowsmilewinkgrin.gif

My internet was down for most of the weekend, so I got a good amount of reading done!

I finished Blue Nude - not terribly in-depth as far as story (too short for much character investigation), but I liked it nonetheless. The writing was beautiful. At about 200 pages, it felt more like a short story.

I also read Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys, which I didn't realize was a young adult title. It's about a young Lithuanian woman who is taken by the NKVD during WWII and shipped to various labor camps in Siberia. I was surprised it was a YA title because it was pretty gritty.....and there were no vampires A VERY fast read. I started it before I went to bed one night and was about 250 pages in by the next morning.

Then I moved on to Notes from the Yoga Studio by Rain Mitchell, kind of a chic lit thing set in a yoga studio - I described it to my mother as "Sisterhood of the Traveling Yoga Mats". Not rocket science, but fun and a nice switch from the Siberian labor camp stuff.

Now I'm reading A Thousand Cuts by Simon Lelic, another complete 180 as far as subject. This one is about a school shooting by a teacher and the aftermath/investigation. It's told from the perspective of all the witnesses, in first person, mixed with third person chapters about the lead investigator. It's very well done. I wasn't sure about it at first, but I got sucked in really quickly.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Fort Member

Ok, so Saturday, I needed a new book and Borders bookshop is closing down and they are having a massive sale. Fully intended to buy just one book, as I had finished Kellerman and wanted something light, just one book would do but no I came away with four Laura Levine books the Jaine Austen series, 2 Lee Child, 1 cookbook and 3 magazines. $110 poorer, I should never be allowed in a book shop with my debit card.
    I am on my second Laura Levine, I like them, if you need a light quick read with an interesting murder mystery to solve, a funny heroine and a cat named prozac i would highly recommend them. Definately easier going than the Lee Child books are going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda View Post
    just one book would do
    An impossible thing to do...I've never achieved that.
    After seeing the trailer for the movie "One Day", I thought it would be a better read than a movie. But I just couldn't get very far into it. And I doubt I'll see the movie because Anne Hathaway is just not the right person for this girl. No matter how hard they try to make her not look attractive, it wouldn't work.
    So I picked up a Dominck Dunne book instead. I can always rely on his books to entertain me. Having read his book, The Way We Lived Then: Recollections of a Well-known Name Dropper (1999) it really gave me insight on the people he used to "hang out" with, the rich and famous. I really loved that book because he explained his life, with all the mistakes, problems without expressing any "poor me" statements or making excuses for his choices. RIP, Dominck.

Just picked up the new novel by Jennifer Weiner, Then Came You. She writes these wonderfully warm and funny books that are, in all fairness, too literary and mature to quite qualify as chick lit but she seems to be stuck with the label regardless. Anyway, I'm hoping it will be as good as the previous ones.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda View Post
    Ok, so Saturday, I needed a new book and Borders bookshop is closing down and they are having a massive sale. Fully intended to buy just one book, as I had finished Kellerman and wanted something light, just one book would do but no I came away with four Laura Levine books the Jaine Austen series, 2 Lee Child, 1 cookbook and 3 magazines. $110 poorer, I should never be allowed in a book shop with my debit card.
    I am on my second Laura Levine, I like them, if you need a light quick read with an interesting murder mystery to solve, a funny heroine and a cat named prozac i would highly recommend them. Definately easier going than the Lee Child books are going to be.
    Just one book never happens I like your choices in books though.

I found the Laura Levine books while browsing in my library. I have read 3 or 4 of them. They are quick, light and funny as you mentioned. Just exactly what I want sometimes in my mysteries.

Lee Child is good as well. Found him when I was checking out 'Play-away' audio books before I got my mp3 player. The library has such a limited supply of those I found several authors I wouldn't have otherwise normally tried. They had the 5th book of his Reacher series, so I've gone back to the beginning and started over with those.

Right now I'm listening to Jen Lancaster's Pretty in Plaid. She cracks me up. I read Bitter is the New Black several years ago and then forgot about it. I'm enjoying this book.

On my nook right now is Lye in Wait by Cricket McRae. I've never read any other books by this author so I'm not sure how I'll like it. I'm not far into the book, but I loved the first sentence, so I figured that's a great start.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I started reading Jaycee Dugard's book, "a stolen life," about her years of being kept prisoner after being abducted at the age of 11.

It's really difficult for me to read this, because I was sexually abused throughout my childhood, and the book is very descriptive of what she and I both endured. Although I wasn't locked up physically, living through that can really lock you up emotionally. Having seen Jaycee being interviewed several times, I have so much respect for her that I feel like I HAVE to read the book. I am so glad she had a wonderful mother - loving memories of her mother and the hope of seeing her again are what helped her to survive. My mother is the one who brought the abuser into the home and allowed him to stay, even though she knew what he was doing. I think that's why it was such a struggle for me to recover - but I've done it!

+ Reply to Thread