+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

If she has, none of us would blow her cover I doubt she has the time though.

I'm back to reading Alex Shakar's Luminarium. I'm not loving it, but it's SO unusual and unlike anything I've ever read, that I keep reading it. It's intriguing and well-written, it's just that the subject is difficult - it's hard to read the story of someone whose life is crumbling around them. Still, there's a bit of a mystery in there and I want to find out if it gets resolved!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I almost picked that one up this past weekend, Crit. But I caved and bought Catching Fire instead - I enjoyed The Hunger Games so much I had to continue the series.

If you give it a good review when you're done, I'll add it to my ever-growing list.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I just started T. Greenwood's This Glittering World. I loved her book Two Rivers, so I have high hopes for this one. I'm enjoying having a nice, quick read after some heavier stuff. Here's the write-up from Amazon:
    One November morning, Ben Bailey walks out of his Flagstaff, Arizona home to retrieve the paper. He finds Ricky Begay, a young Navajo man, beaten and dying in the newly fallen snow. Unable to forget the incident, especially once he meets Ricky's sister, Shadi, Ben begins to question everything, from his job as a history professor to his relationship with his fiancee, Sara. Ben decides to discover the truth about Ricky's death, in hopes of filling in the cracks in his own life. Yet the answers leave him torn between love and responsibility and between his once-certain future and the choices that could liberate him at a cost. "This Glittering World" is the book T. Greenwood's fans and critics have been waiting for - one that cements her reputation as one of today's most eloquent and impressive talents.
    Way - I finished Luminarium last night and although I'd give it a thumbs up, it's not for everyone. There were so many things in the book that were thought-provoking and insightful, especially about technology and religion. I'm glad I read it, but it wasn't easy.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Anyone read "A Discovery of Witches"? I have seen reviews up on Amazon and people either love it or hate it. I just finished the 20 disk audio book and I am in the like it camp. Yes it is a long book. Does much happen, no, but that is the main bone of contention of many readers that they feel there is no action, that "A Discovery of Witches" is an adult version of the "Twilight" series. Well, the pacing didn't bother me. It was nice to have a hero who was not your normal alpha romance hero who knows all, is bossy and has a manroot of steel. In one sense Matthew is all that but much more restrained. The author is a professor of the history of science and that is very much evident in the pacing of the book and how things are explained. Still you do get a background on the creatures that inhabit this world, the demons, the witches and the vampires. You have characters who are 1500, 2000 or more years old. They are the product of their time and culture and their experiences. It is great to see vampires using modern technology like cell phones. At times I am totally annoyed at the heroine, wanting to kick her for not noticing what is going on around her but at the end of the book I realize that this woman has been
    Click to see Spoiler:
    bespelled almost her entire life by her parents
    and is dealing with it the best she can. This book is also an slow awakening of the heroine and it was interesting enough that I am looking forward to the sequel.
    brunette trixie likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

Hated A Discovery of Witches. I didn't realize people were comparing it to Twilight;I would say Twilight (in particular the first two books) are leagues better. Witches was ponderously slow, did not find the heroine compelling and if there was one more scene of them doing yoga I would have had to hurt someone. It had potential (the mysterious old book etc) but it was not realized at all and I don't feel the need to read the sequel even though I wouldn't mind finding out the resolution to the book issue.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I'm currently reading The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry and am finding it surprisingly entertaining. Per usual, I checked the negative reviews to see what people had issues with, and in general the problem was that the book is not a scholarly tome. Fair enough, it's not, but I'm quite certain that I wouldn't be able to plough my way through a scholastic treatise on mental illness anyway.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Anyone read "A Discovery of Witches"? I have seen reviews up on Amazon and people either love it or hate it. I just finished the 20 disk audio book and I am in the like it camp. Yes it is a long book. Does much happen, no, but that is the main bone of contention of many readers that they feel there is no action, that "A Discovery of Witches" is an adult version of the "Twilight" series. Well, the pacing didn't bother me. It was nice to have a hero who was not your normal alpha romance hero who knows all, is bossy and has a manroot of steel. In one sense Matthew is all that but much more restrained. The author is a professor of the history of science and that is very much evident in the pacing of the book and how things are explained. Still you do get a background on the creatures that inhabit this world, the demons, the witches and the vampires. You have characters who are 1500, 2000 or more years old. They are the product of their time and culture and their experiences. It is great to see vampires using modern technology like cell phones. At times I am totally annoyed at the heroine, wanting to kick her for not noticing what is going on around her but at the end of the book I realize that this woman has been
    Click to see Spoiler:
    bespelled almost her entire life by her parents
    and is dealing with it the best she can. This book is also an slow awakening of the heroine and it was interesting enough that I am looking forward to the sequel.
    This made me . I've had this book in my library wait list for a while. Thanks for the review. It definitely sounds like something I would like.

I liked A Discovery of Witches - I think a few of us read is maybe last fall or earlier this year. I didn't love it, but it was a nice, fluffy book and a fast read.

I finished This Glittering World and did end up liking it. Not as good as Two Rivers, by the same author, but she's a terrific writer, so even if the story isn't fabulous, the prose is beautiful.

When Passion Rules - Johnna Lindsey

Stupid, stupid, stupid girl. Stupid, stupid, stupid plot.

Was this author on crack when she wrote this book? Reads like it. And so was her editor and publisher. This book needs a major rewrite and some major character development.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I liked A Discovery of Witches - I think a few of us read is maybe last fall or earlier this year. I didn't love it, but it was a nice, fluffy book and a fast read.
    I LOVED it and can't wait to read parts 2 and 3.

+ Reply to Thread