+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    For light stuff, I don't know if you've read The Hunger Games, but I'm quite enjoying it. I don't generally read young people fiction so I'm not sure why I decided to add this to the Kobo, but I'm prepared to buy the follow ups once I've done.

Also, I think that I might have read that you are a Craig Ferguson fan. If that is so, you might enjoy Between the Bridge and the River. It starts off rather puzzlingly, but melds together in such a way that I wish there was a sequel.

And if you want to go with light and Canadian, I quite enjoyed Lemon by Cordelia Strube. Not much a story, per se, but it kept me involved nonetheless.
    Adored The Hunger Games series. My oldest daughter and I marked the release of Mockingjay on the calendar.

I do like Craig Ferguson, thanks for the recommendation. I'll check that out. I had tried a couple of mystery/thrillers, so bland I've already forgotten the authors and the titles...something funny might be the cure for my summer reading ennui.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The Help is one of those books that I carried all over the house, anytime I made a move, when I was reading it! Even if I was only going to be in a section of the house for just a few minutes, it was with me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I read it for hours and hours straight. Admittedly, I read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in one sitting (well, getting up for the bathroom and food and such). But it's been a long time since I've been that emotionally invested in a book. The characters are so wonderful, and so real - and at times, so funny! The only thing I didn't like about it was that I wish we'd seen more of Johnny Foote and Skeeter's father. Both of those characters were wonderful, but so minor!

Quote Originally Posted by M_shelll View Post
    Critical, The Secret Lives of Buildings looks really interesting, I read some reviews that went both ways
    but mostly good, I'd definately be interested in your opinion on it.
    I'm about 120 pages in and I'm really enjoying it! Of course, I'm a history nerd, so I'm the right audience. Some chapters have been better than others, I must admit, but having studied many of the buildings in various art history classes, it's fun to learn more of the actual history. I would advise having an architecture book handy for pictures...or, you know, Google Images It's been especially fun to read the stuff about the Roman Empire, since Constantine the Great is one of my ancestors.

My book club meets tomorrow night, so I'm going to have to blow through the last 100+ pages really fast! I never seem to plan things out well with my book club reads - I either finish them WAY ahead of time and then can't remember then well enough or I'm busting through a bunch of the book the afternoon before we meet!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I'm halfway through The Hunger Games, and I'm finding it hard to put down! I hope the rest of the series is as good as this one.
    I'm about halfway through the third book, and to be honest I found the quality diminishing as I went through the series - still readable, though. It's probably a good thing she stopped at three.
    Jamie5632 likes this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I've almost finished The Kennedy Detail by Gerald Blaine. A fascinating look at not only what was involved in protecting a president in 1960--without most of the technology they have today--how little they were paid, and the guilt most of them carried for decades because Kennedy had died on their watch! I didnt know that JFK was still alive when they got him to the hospital--even with that devastating wound in his head! There's no dirt or dish in this book, clearly the men who guarded him, admired and respected their leader. A great book to read whether you were alive at that time or not! Now I cant look at any picture of Kennedy in a crowd without looking for the Secret Service Agents that were there but I never noticed before.
    BOOK REVIEW: 'The Kennedy Detail' - Washington Times

I am reading TWILIGHT for the ninth time OMG i need some new material. but spegs is an absolute diamond with her words

Or so i have my suspicion it could be there are a few others i could say it is too but i am guessing its this one my husband thinks i am being ridiculous and that she would never be on here

spegs doesn't come here any more because when she logs in, she gets inundated with PMs from fans and can't really enjoy the site.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I wonder if she created a new account and walks unknown amongst us.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread