+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I am reading The King's Daughter by Barbara Kyle. A big frothy historical tale about a girl who had to spy during the reign of "Bloody Mary" Tudor. Book review: Barbara Kyle's *The King's Daughter*

I was given almost all the adult fiction books by Russell Hoban a friend had collected after I mentioned how much I had loved Ridley Walker and couldn't get to them over the school year. Now that I've whittled down my summer list of things to do, I'm starting at the beginning. I got of a Wiki list of the order they were written in and discovered there were a couple missing so ordered them. So I started The Lion of Boaz-Jachin and Jachin-Boaz today. Any Russell Hoban fans out there?
    Count your blessings!

I just started the newest Mary Higgins Clark novel, I'll Walk Alone.

I remember years ago when my mom was still alive and she always read the "Queen of Suspense."

Maybe that's part of why I can't resist Ms. Clark?!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I'm in the middle of Alex Shakar's Luminarium and it's really like nothing I've ever read before. A publishing rep sent it to me because he loved it so much and I can see why. It's a bit hard to explain.....it focuses on a twin whose brother is in a coma. They, along with their younger brother, own a computer gaming company that specializes in role playing games. The company sort of gets co-opted by the military as a training tool. The one twin signs up for an unusual experimental research project and begins to explore spirituality and reality as he gets deeper and deeper into the project. Like I said, it's really hard to explain, but it's very intriguing. It delves into family relationships and religion and technology and so much more. I'm really enjoying it.

Next up is The Secret Lives of Buildings by Edward Hollis for my book club. It's about architecture from Ancient Greece to modern day Las Vegas.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just got Dexter is Delicious and I'm so excited to read it, I really liked the first 4 books in the series. I was really undecided on what else to get and was looking at Allison Hewitt is Trapped by Madeleine Roux (I find that I really like zombie fiction but there are some terrible ones out there) and one of the girls that worked there seen me holding it and gave it a really glowing recommendation so I figured I’d give it a try. I’m in the middle of I, Alex Cross by James Patterson and while it’s pretty good so far I’m fighting off the urge to set it aside for a while and start one of the new ones. Lol

Critical, The Secret Lives of Buildings looks really interesting, I read some reviews that went both ways but mostly good, I'd definately be interested in your opinion on it.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I just started the newest Mary Higgins Clark novel, I'll Walk Alone.

I remember years ago when my mom was still alive and she always read the "Queen of Suspense."

Maybe that's part of why I can't resist Ms. Clark?!
    I've read every single one of her books. She's very predictable but I still enjoy reading her books.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    For light stuff, I don't know if you've read The Hunger Games, but I'm quite enjoying it. I don't generally read young people fiction so I'm not sure why I decided to add this to the Kobo, but I'm prepared to buy the follow ups once I've done.
    I'm halfway through The Hunger Games, and I'm finding it hard to put down! I hope the rest of the series is as good as this one.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

FORT Fogey

waywyrd it absolutely is!

I just finished The Help, and really thought it was amazing. I'll admit I picked it up because I saw the preview for the movie, and I'm a total sucker for Emma Stone, but it was really a truly fabulous book!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I agree with you, but I found that the book made some people uncomfortable. How sad that they are missing a truly wonderful product. It was extremely well done. I had to keep looking at the book jacket to remind myself that it was truly written by a Caucasian woman!

Books!!!! Where would we be without them???
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

My sister gave me a copoy of The Help this weekend. I haven't had time to read it for more than 10-15 mins. at a time and it's driving me crazy! I don't want to put it down. I'm on Skeeter's first chapter now. I almost brought it with me to work today, but that's not a good idea. We like to appear busy. Can't wait to get back home and read more!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread