+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree246Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

As far as I know, they each paid. I don't know exactly why she quit. Though we are sisters, we tend to be towards the "distant relative" end of the spectrum. If I ever find out, I will let you know!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I am reading the first book in the George R. R. Martin "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. I am absolutely loving it, so I'm quite certain I will immediately jump right into the subsequent books in the series. I am avoiding the thread specific to this series because I don't want to be spoiled!!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    As far as I know, they each paid. I don't know exactly why she quit. Though we are sisters, we tend to be towards the "distant relative" end of the spectrum. If I ever find out, I will let you know!
    Ok. Thanks.
    I was trying to figure if it actually had to do with the trip or was just coincidental?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

CCL

I'm on the third book of the Fire and Ice series. I find I skim a bit over the battle scenes and those chapters that are from certain viewpoints - I'm not that interested in Catelyn, for example, not sure why. Love Arya, Bran, Jon and Tyrion.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    You guys always read these sophisticated books and I read fluff and trash.. I just finished the new Stephanie Plum book and liked it well enough. They usually come out the 3rd week of June but book 18 is slated for November of this year. Weird.

I'm getting ready to start a new book...just debating on whether to read Fallen by karin Slaughter, Hardly Knew Her by Laura Lippman or Watch Me by Lauren Barnholdt. Can't decide. Although with Big Brother in full swing, Watch Me is tempting because it's a book loosely based on the show. Well, sort of a cross between BB and Real World. Hmm...decisions decisions....lol
    LOL I just finished reading the Cartel by Ashley & Jaquavais and Now I am reading Smokin seventeen. Team Ranger I love my Ranger Sticker,lol.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I don't know that I could join a book club, even though I love, love, love to read; I will steal recommendations from them, though. It is too much like school, and I like to make my own choices and go at my own pace. My sister was a member of a book club, but has since pulled out. They actually travelled to Italy as a result of the book Eat, Pray, Love. She said they were actually going for the food! Interesting. They just got back a couple of weeks ago. She quit shortly after!
    I belong to a book club and I love it. We read a different book each month and we meet at A nice restaurant and have our discussion. We do a girlfriends getaway sometimes the next one is in vegas. The getaways usually tie in with the book we are reading. A great way to meet new friends and have a great discussion.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm pretty sure my sister's club decided, as a unit, to go to Italy after/while reading the book. She got hives from "overdosing" on caprese salads. That kind of pleased me, since I've never known her to be sensitive to anything!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Bah. I'm having a terrible time finding any summer reading that will hold my interest. First I tried light stuff, so I gave Dean Koontz another go and read a collection of 3 of his novels (The Key To Midnight, Cold Fire, Hideaway). They're not scary enough to be horror, not exciting enough to be thrillers, not complicated enough to be whodunits, and certainly not sexy enough to be good beach trash. So then I went literary with Alberto Moravia's Contempt. Sludge-y and depressing. Next was Miriam Toews' latest, Irma Voth. I want so desperately to like Toews, but her characters are such downers I always leave the book feeling unhappy.

Now at the end of my rope, I picked up Dead to the World to re-read and so I could read along (sort of) with this season's True Blood. Thank God there is a new Chuck Palahniuk AND a new Dexter novel being released in October so I have something to look forward to.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just finished One Second After by William Forstchen ...I didn't really read the back very carefully, or maybe at all because when I finally got around to reading it I was surprised it was actually a completely different book than I thought I was getting. Pleasantly surprised though as I really enjoyed it. I’ve been really hit and miss this summer picking out books, I read the Hunger Games trilogy based on reviews here and found that I really liked them as well and am quite excited to see the movies ( …all 4 of them :p lol). I’m going to pick out a couple new ones tomorrow and have been eyeing the 5th Dexter but they’ve only had the hard cover and it’s way too big to lug around on the train, seeing your post AJane reminded me to google the paperback tho and I may be in luck this time! I’ve been looking to get a nice scary horror type book this time too (no short stories tho) but seem to have the worst luck when it comes to picking out horror, anyone have any good book/author suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Bah. I'm having a terrible time finding any summer reading that will hold my interest.
    For light stuff, I don't know if you've read The Hunger Games, but I'm quite enjoying it. I don't generally read young people fiction so I'm not sure why I decided to add this to the Kobo, but I'm prepared to buy the follow ups once I've done.

Also, I think that I might have read that you are a Craig Ferguson fan. If that is so, you might enjoy Between the Bridge and the River. It starts off rather puzzlingly, but melds together in such a way that I wish there was a sequel.

And if you want to go with light and Canadian, I quite enjoyed Lemon by Cordelia Strube. Not much a story, per se, but it kept me involved nonetheless.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread