+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fogey

Re: What are you reading?

Has anyone seen previews for the new show this fall called "Pan Am"? Looks like a throw-back to this book. Also one about Playboy bunnies. What's up with that? Why these Neanderthal bimbo shows all of a sudden?
    I read an article recently that said these shows are a delayed response to the success of Mad Men. Apparently when Matt Weiner, creator of MM, originally shopped around the concept for the series, he had a hard time finding a buyer. Now that the series is approaching its 4th season and has won multiple awards, other networks are jumping on the bandwagon with their own spin on the '60s era. I can't imagine anyone will do it better than MM.

Just finished Water for Elephants. It wasn't bad, but it was a lot more lightweight than I expected it to be and I have to say that the anachronistic language was somewhat distracting.

Just prior to that, during my holiday last week, I had a run of books by comedians: Zombie Spaceship Wasteland by Patton Oswalt (pretty funny with one hilarious vampire comic in the middle - had trouble not waking up the husband holding in the snorting laughter with that one); Bossypants by Tina Fey (also funny - in particular her reponse to an on-line commenter who referred to her as an overrated troll); and American on Purpose by Craig Ferguson (not funny at all, but reasonably interesting). The Ferguson book inspired me to download his novel Between the Bridge and the River, which I have just started. My initial thought was that it was a book of short stories which dismayed me as I really don't care for short stories. It turns out that, though, that I am just on the second chapter of an actual novel, so I'm reserving an opinion at this point since I can't even figure out what form I'm reading.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm waiting for Bossypants to come in from the library. Glad to see a good review.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I went on amazon and ordered Coffee, Tea, or Me? to give to my sister for her birthday in Nov. I was surprised it was still available... that was a looooong time ago. $9 paperback. Has anyone seen previews for the new show this fall called "Pan Am"? Looks like a throw-back to this book. Also one about Playboy bunnies. What's up with that? Why these Neanderthal bimbo shows all of a sudden?
    THey're trying to cash in on the Mad Men craze/popularity.
    Shows from the 60's certainly have the nostalgia, as well as the kitsch, factor. And, that's appealing to a lot of people.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I'm about halfway through The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew. It's set in 1954 North Caroline and is told from the perspective of a young girl who's family is in turmoil. It's a coming of age story that I'm really enjoying. A nice switch from the Nazi Germany of In the Garden of Beasts, although considering the fact that this book takes place during the Jim Crow era, it's not going to be all happy....it already isn't.

That book, BTW, was fantastic. Seeing the rise of Hitler through the eyes of this American family was just fascinating.

Next up is Luminarium by Alex Shakar. The publishing rep has been raving about it and sent me a copy a few weeks ago. It's about technology and spirituality and family and love. I'm looking forward to it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have just started The Kennedy Detail by Gerald Blaine. I finally got a copy at the library after waiting since January for one to become available! I am hoping it will be as interesting as I expect it to be.
    The Kennedy Detail by Gerald Blaine - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm about halfway through The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew. It's set in 1954 North Caroline and is told from the perspective of a young girl who's family is in turmoil. It's a coming of age story that I'm really enjoying. A nice switch from the Nazi Germany of In the Garden of Beasts, although considering the fact that this book takes place during the Jim Crow era, it's not going to be all happy....it already isn't.

That book, BTW, was fantastic. Seeing the rise of Hitler through the eyes of this American family was just fascinating.
    I'm still reading it and haven't advanced much. It is not an easy read. It's not a book that makes me want to curl up and read on for hours. But I am reading it with interest.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Reading Justin Cronym's "The Passage" for our book club-One of the better choices, in my humble opinion! And we all decided to go see The Help when it comes out next month-loved the book!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't know that I could join a book club, even though I love, love, love to read; I will steal recommendations from them, though. It is too much like school, and I like to make my own choices and go at my own pace. My sister was a member of a book club, but has since pulled out. They actually travelled to Italy as a result of the book Eat, Pray, Love. She said they were actually going for the food! Interesting. They just got back a couple of weeks ago. She quit shortly after!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I don't know that I could join a book club, even though I love, love, love to read; I will steal recommendations from them, though. It is too much like school, and I like to make my own choices and go at my own pace. My sister was a member of a book club, but has since pulled out. They actually travelled to Italy as a result of the book Eat, Pray, Love. She said they were actually going for the food! Interesting. They just got back a couple of weeks ago. She quit shortly after!
    Shay, Did each member have to pay to go to Italy?
    Why did she quit?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread