+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns that my daughter has been nagging me to read. I really didn't like Kite Runner by the same author, but she was right - this one was better.
    Unlike you, I loved The Kite Runner, enough that I bought A Thousand Splendid Suns as soon as it came out (several years ago), and still haven't gotten around to reading it.

Now I think I will - thanks!

This one focuses on women and the things they had/have to endure.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

For those who enjoyed Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See, the movie premieres on July 15. Can't wait to see it! Also interested in seeing The Help since I loved the book. But the previews I've seen haven't been encouraging. Hope I'm wrong.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns that my daughter has been nagging me to read. I really didn't like Kite Runner by the same author, but she was right - this one was better.
    I read this last year and could not put it down. It helped me understand what is happening, and what has happened, in Afghanistan during my lifetime. The story was told on such a deeply personal level that these women's characters still speak their perspective to me when I hear or watch news of developments there.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Movie reviews drive me crazy, and I tend to disregard them if I want to see the movie. I prefer to make my own decisions.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I agree, movie reviews don't influence my decision to see a movie. But I saw a few scenes from The Help in the preview advertisement, and I wasn't impressed by the actress who plays Skeeter. But it was only a few minutes from the entire movie so I hope I'm wrong.

Right now I am in the middle of Hollywood in the 1950s thru 2 books. Pieces of My Heart by Robert Wagner, and The Most Beautiful Woman in the World by Ellis Amburn. In several cases the books cross over the same story which is intersting to see something from 2 different views..
    Pieces of My Heart: A Life by Robert J. Wagner - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists
    The Most Beautiful Woman in the World: The Obsessions, Passions, and Courage of Elizabeth Taylor by Ellis Amburn - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy View Post
    I agree, movie reviews don't influence my decision to see a movie. But I saw a few scenes from The Help in the preview advertisement, and I wasn't impressed by the actress who plays Skeeter. But it was only a few minutes from the entire movie so I hope I'm wrong.
    If anything, I'll actually read the review AFTER I see the movie, unless the review "accidentally" slips in.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Last night, I started Erik Larson's In the Garden of Beasts. So far, he's just giving the expository information to set the scene, but I'm enjoying his writing style. I've heard so many good things about this one, that I'm eager to really get into it.
    How are you like it it Critical? I'm reading it and the Dodds just got to Germany. I'm wondering, I knew it was a non-fiction, but I was expecting it to be written as a novel, not as a compilation of facts. Will the writing style change? Are you into it?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    How are you like it it Critical? I'm reading it and the Dodds just got to Germany. I'm wondering, I knew it was a non-fiction, but I was expecting it to be written as a novel, not as a compilation of facts. Will the writing style change? Are you into it?
    I'm coming up on 200 pages and I'm really enjoying it. The beginning 50 or so pages were slower because of all the expository info he had to give, but once they get the Germany, it sped up for me. The writing style doesn't really change - it's non-fiction vs. a fictionalized account, so he does keep giving lots of facts. Still, once he's set he scene, it's more about telling the story than giving all the data, so to speak. I just think the story and the people are so interesting, that it's kept my interest.

I read so many dry books as a history major that, if something non-fiction is halfway readable, I'm thrilled! I think this is MORE than halfway readable, for sure. It makes me want to read Larson's other two books, which I have in the house somewhere....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread