+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I've been reading The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson by Robert Hofler. A fascinating look back at the Hollywood of the 1940s and 50s and Henry Willson the man who orchestrated many careers and lives back then.
    The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson ... - Google Books

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

There is nothing that irritates me more than reading a book and being totally disappointed in the ending. I read a HUGE book years ago, probably about 700 pages, and the ending was totally stupid and wrong. I will never put myself in that position again! And I will only read what I am sure truly works for me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Yeah - then ending wasn't my favorite part, but really - how else could it have ended?
    I'm loving Run. Would love to hear of anyone who has read others by her.
    I guess I felt like she just ended it. It was as if (and I've had this feeling with other books) she reached her page limit and just stopped writing to tie everything up as quickly as possible. I thought the events at the end were inevitable, but that they were handled sloppily, if that makes sense.

I'm still reading Pamuk's My Name is Red and, as with other Nobel Prize winners I've read, it's slow going. It's beautifully written, of course, but it's not easy. My book club meets next Thursday and it's going to be a race to finish the book in time, unless I really just buckle down for a day and do nothing but read. Because of the active reading it requires, I find that I can't just sit for a long time and read it. I'm exhausted after 5 pages! I'll finish it, but I think it will be a struggle.

I just got a copy of Erik Larson's In the Garden of Beasts and I'm dying to start it! That may compel me to finish the Pamuk more quickly.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I just got a copy of Erik Larson's In the Garden of Beasts and I'm dying to start it! That may compel me to finish the Pamuk more quickly.
    I can't wait to read that one, too.

Right now I'm in the middle of Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I loved the movie - the book, even more so. Waiting on my table next is The Hunger Games, thanks to all the recommendations from here.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I can't wait to read that one, too.

Right now I'm in the middle of Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I loved the movie - the book, even more so. Waiting on my table next is The Hunger Games, thanks to all the recommendations from here.
    I'll definitely post a review here when I read it

Of course, I'm expecting a copy of the next George RR Martin any day now, so if my publishing rep sends it ahead of the release date, all bets are off! Whatever I'm reading loses out to that!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Picked up three books today at the local library. Not sure which one to read first.

Any suggestions?

*The Tower, The Zoo, and The Tortoise - Julia Stuart
    *Alter of Bones - Phillip Carter
    *The Weight of Silence - Heather Gudenkauf
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

How the States Got Their Shapes by Mark Stein. I love the History Channel show so decided to give the book a try, it's pretty interesting.

I'm also reading Don't Know Much about the Bible by Kenneth C. Davis. The verdict is still out on the second book but the beginning is promising.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I just returned from Ohio for the 4th and had to drive 12 hours there and 12 hours back. I got the audio book, South of Broad by Pat Conroy and the drive went very quickly both ways as a result. I had it on my Kindle, so hesitated to waste that money, but now I'm freed up to read other things and I loved the audio version of it. A Southern boy comes of age with an unusual assortment of friends and family with lots of skeletons in everyone's closets and one or two really evil characters. I'm reading Run by Ann Patchett on my Kindle and loving it.
    Count your blessings!

I put down My Name is Red for the holiday weekend. I just didn't want to concentrate that hard in this heat! A friend of mine had wanted to borrow anything by Tess Gerritsen, so I went looking for one of the many I have. I only found one - The Sinner - and realized I hadn't read it. Must have given the rest to the library. Anyway, I read it Monday so that I could give it to my friend. It's one of the Rizzoli and Isles series. A nice, quick read and not too demanding. Exactly what I needed. I'm trying to psyche myself up to get back into the Pamuk, but I'm having trouble. I know I'm not the only one in the book club having a tough time with it, so that's consolation.

Last night, I started Erik Larson's In the Garden of Beasts. So far, he's just giving the expository information to set the scene, but I'm enjoying his writing style. I've heard so many good things about this one, that I'm eager to really get into it.

I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns that my daughter has been nagging me to read. I really didn't like Kite Runner by the same author, but she was right - this one was better.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread