+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm reading A Widow's Story by Joyce Carol Oates.
    While it's a difficult subject to deal with, Ms. Oates draws you into her story.
    I'm loving it so far.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I am reading Still Missing by Chevy Stevens. A woman is abducted and kept prisoner for months by some crazed stalker. Usually this type of story doesnt appeal to me, but, this is told by the woman in sessions to her psychiatrist as she tries to piece her life back together. Totally fascinating on so many levels! Still Missing by Chevy Stevens - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

I just finished One Day by David Nicolls. I read it because I knew that the movie (starring Anne Hathaway) is coming out soon. I read it in a day and, although I liked it, mostly, I don't think I'll see the movie. As usual, the previews are very misleading. It's not really a romantic comedy. Anyway, it's sort of like a British Same Time Next Year, checking in with the two characters every year from their first meeting on the day they graduate from college. It started out feeling like chick lit and then went a different direction. It's more like chick lit meets Nick Hornby, with a bit of Nicholas Sparks (the part I didn't like) thrown in.

Now I'm reading Orhan Pamuk's My Name is Red for my book club. Here's a blurb from the Amazon listing:
    In 16th-century Istanbul, master miniaturist and illuminator of books Enishte Effendi is commissioned to illustrate a book celebrating the sultan. Soon he lies dead at the bottom of a well, and how he got there is the crux of this novel. A number of narrators give testimony to what they know about the circumstances surrounding the murder. The stories accumulate and become more detailed as the novel progresses, giving the reader not only a nontraditional murder mystery but insight into the mores and customs of the time. In addition, this is both an examination of the way figurative art is viewed within Islam and a love story that demonstrates the tricky mechanics of marriage laws.
    I've never read anything by Pamuk, but once I chose this book, I've seen his books everywhere and heard from a number of people (including a Turkish friend) who love his work. I'm only a few pages in but I'm really enjoying it. The narrative style is totally different from anything I've read - one of the chapters is narrated by a dog drawn on a piece of paper. I can't wait to see where the story leads!
    Last edited by Critical; 06-24-2011 at 04:01 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

I liked One Day except
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I didn't like how the female character had to suffer/have a suckier life in general more than the guy whose life, even with his mishaps, seemed pretty charmed. And I thought having her die was rather trite.
    . Overall I enjoyed it though. What is Same Time Next Year - a novel?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I also had mixed emotions about One day. It was a much "lighter" read than I expected. I'm reading Under the Afghan Sky: A Memoir of Captivity, by Melissa Fung, who was kidnapped in 2008 by people who claimed to be Taliban. It is very interesting, but a bit repetitive. Then again, her days in captivity were repetitive, so I can't blame her for that.

Today was our first day of summer vacation so I'm looking forward to going through the last few pages here and getting a lineup on my Kindle for summer reading. I haven't finished the Barbara Kingsolver book. It got to be pretty heavy going. I don't know if I'll power-read through it, or bail for now. I'll probably start back on it and see how it goes.
    Count your blessings!

I'm reading Seven Exes Are Eight Too Many by Heather Wardall. I'm reading it on my Kindle and it's pretty cute. It centers around a Survivor type game show. This woman signs up for a dating show, thinking it's going to be more in the style of the Bachelor and what she gets is something completely different. She shows up only to realize they are doing "Stranded" with a twist. Her tribe consists of seven ex boyfriends. There is another twist but I don't want to give it away in case any of you want to read this. I'd classify it as a light beach read.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Love the title!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Currently reading THE HELP by Kathryn Stockett. It's made me laugh and it's made me cry and I'm only about half-way through. Highly recommend it!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Really looking forward to seeing the movie! Read the book about a year ago. Thinking about picking it up again, for a second read.

This is one of those books that I checked out of the library, and then bought it. I felt the author deserved my money!
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread