+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Thanks for that link AJane... I'll probably refer to it when I start writing the papers for the course.
    The most significant new thing I've learned is that boys don't hear as well as girls, so if they have a female teacher, they often can't hear her and girls with a male teacher often feel he's yelling at her. That, and 50% of college males admit they'd rape a woman if they knew they could get away with it (sex drive is governed by the same part of the brain and hormones as aggression).
    This was the most depressing thing I've read in a while. Ugh.

I have been whisked to the court of Henry the eighth while reading The Secrets of the Tudor Court by D L Bogdan. Its a great read if you like historical fiction and this time period! review: Secrets of the Tudor Court Historical-Fiction.com

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I have been whisked to the court of Henry the eighth while reading The Secrets of the Tudor Court by D L Bogdan. Its a great read if you like historical fiction and this time period! review: Secrets of the Tudor Court Historical-Fiction.com
    If you've been reading this thread, you know I positively eat up with a spoon books about the Tudor era. I just recently read somewhere that Henry Fitzroy was married at the end of his short life to one of the Howards. Thanks -- I will have to read this one.

You are welcome and I hope you enjoy it!! This era is one of my favorites to read about too, although it wasn't so much fun if you were a woman, or poor.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    You are welcome and I hope you enjoy it!! This era is one of my favorites to read about too, although it wasn't so much fun if you were a woman, or poor.
    Just downloaded it to my nook for only $7.99. I also adore novels set in the U.S. Southern states (I live in NC), among MANY other genres, and it's about time to switch it up and go back to the Tudors.

See above in this thread ^^^ where I recommend The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George. I also loved The Boleyn Inheritance by Phillippa Gregory, which profiles (1) Anne, (2) her first cousin Catherine Howard, and (3) Jane, George Boleyn's wife (Lady Rochford) -- who if I remember correctly figured in the downfall of both Anne and Katherine. The Other Boleyn Girl is of course about Mary Boleyn, Anne's older sister, who was Henry VIII's mistress before he met Anne.

The Howard/ Boleyn family really pushed their daughters into either "mistressing" or marrying the highest of the high, for the advancement and enrichment of their family, regardless of the threat of eventually becoming headless... They didn't seem to care -- the pretty young things were disposable. That's part of what makes that family (Anne is my particular obsession) so fascinating to me, and evidently to many others, judging from the number of non-fiction books and novels available.

So I thank you for finding me a book about yet another Howard girl, Mary.

For those who read Lisa See's Shanghai Girls, please pick up it's follow-up, Dreams of Joy. It follows Joy in China, during the Great Leap Forward and the 3 year famine that take place under Mao’s reign. It is a great read.

FORT Fanatic

The Help has been made into a movie, and is coming out in August!
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by chitex3 View Post
    The Help has been made into a movie, and is coming out in August!
    The trailer for The Help looks great. I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie. I loved the book.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

Kiz

I'm reading The Ames Girls. I can't say I'm a big fan. Somewhere I read it's like a drawn out magazine article, and I tend to agree with that assessment. While it's fascinating that these women stayed such close friends from childhood into their 40s now, and miraculously many of them saved everything from ticket stubs to schoolyard notes in scrap books, their lives are pretty much what I'd expect.The details of childhood boyfriends, teenage make-out parties, petty arguments, who's popular/who's not, etc, becomes excruciatingly dull. There's more to their lives than that, and I don't want to give anything away, but wading through the babble gets old rather quickly, at least for me.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

I'm reading Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby. A few years old by now, but the old Hornby is back. This book is so much better than some of his other work and almost (just, almost) rivals High Fidelity.

+ Reply to Thread