+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I recently read Rumor Has It on a recommendation from a friend. Not my usual genre, but it was ok. It was rather predictable, but I read it during a stressful time, so I enjoyed the break!

I'm reading a graduate level text book on how boys and girls learn differently... Why Gender Matters by Leonard Sax. It's an area of interest I've had for a while and this time I'm getting college credit for it. I'll have to write some papers, etc. but the book is fascinating.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What I've found intereesting is that boys and girls, basically, are different from the time that they come out of the womb. As the mother of a son, I can always tell mothers who don't have sons, because they look at you like you're crazy when you tell them, "It's a boy thing." It has made me crazy, too, but I just accept it and move on. Boys are just different animals.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    What I've found interesting is that boys and girls, basically, are different from the time that they come out of the womb. As the mother of a son, I can always tell mothers who don't have sons, because they look at you like you're crazy when you tell them, "It's a boy thing." It has made me crazy, too, but I just accept it and move on. Boys are just different animals.
    Oh, yeah. Absolutely. (And I have a husband who sometimes thinks he's a teenage boy. Like I really need two of them right now ;-) )

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm reading a graduate level text book on how boys and girls learn differently... Why Gender Matters by Leonard Sax. It's an area of interest I've had for a while and this time I'm getting college credit for it. I'll have to write some papers, etc. but the book is fascinating.
    You might be very interested in this story, then. It has been making headlines here in Canada for a few weeks now.

Parents keep child's gender secret - Parentcentral.ca

This is one of the initial articles...the child's mother has since written a rebuttal of sorts, and the experts are tripping over themselves weighing in.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    What I've found intereesting is that boys and girls, basically, are different from the time that they come out of the womb. As the mother of a son, I can always tell mothers who don't have sons, because they look at you like you're crazy when you tell them, "It's a boy thing." It has made me crazy, too, but I just accept it and move on. Boys are just different animals.
    I have three sons and no daughters, but I have plenty of nieces. Boys are very different from girls. My house is full of potty humor and I like to joke that it always smells like sweat socks and pizza. Thank goodness for tart burners!!!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Thanks for that link AJane... I'll probably refer to it when I start writing the papers for the course.
    The most significant new thing I've learned is that boys don't hear as well as girls, so if they have a female teacher, they often can't hear her and girls with a male teacher often feel he's yelling at her. That, and 50% of college males admit they'd rape a woman if they knew they could get away with it (sex drive is governed by the same part of the brain and hormones as aggression).
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    I recently read one of her books for the first time, and loved it. It's Millie's Fling and I'm pretty sure it was free on my nook. I've added her to my list of rotating authors that I'm reading.
    I also downloaded that one onto my nook, and now that you recommend it I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

I'm reading Bossypants by Tina Fey. It's hilarious! I think I can relate because we grew up in the same time.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am looking forward to reading Bossypants!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread